• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to spearing got some ?'s

Laska

So I was watching Youtube a while back about spearing n darkhouses and I It sparked my interests to wanna try it, considering Im mainly a Northern Pike fisherman n love the outdoors. So heres my ?'s.

I was thinking of getting the Eskimo Quick fish 3 and Wanted some opinions about if this would be a good "Portable Darkhouse," Ive check out the quick flip ones and they have the same material and it seems really dark in there, and the material looks like it will hold up nice to the weather. Im not looking at spending a whole lot of money right away til I know for sure Ill like the sport, but more likely than not I will.

Spears= Ugghh, I see all the different spear talks and everything on here n I went out n made my own its a 5 tine but thats all that was available to me and was used for carp, but Id like to know where I could find a decent one or the dimensions for a quality spear head, because I have access to a water jet steel cutting machine where I could get one cut myself. So whats the best? 9 tine? 7 tine? How long of a shaft? what type of shaft material to use? What makes them go straight in the water? This is my main concern.

Refraction... Now I know the water bends an image to us from seeing something through water, Now Ive never speared before and Id rather not miss all the time so I was wondering how you aim a spear, if the fish isnt directly below you? Do you guys have any tips, or am I just afraid of missing? haha

Decoys, when it comes to Fake, what would you suggest? Color? Length? Pike, Sucker, or other? Im ok at carving and in the process of making a Pike 8", but Id love to make more and rather have some input on what to make next and what color schemes would work the best...

Well if you guys could help with my questions that would be very helpful, I havent gotten the oppurtunity to go out yet because the weather here has been below negative 0 weather for darn near the past week.

P.S. Any other tips would be greatly appriciated, I am new and I am open for anything...

So I was watching Youtube a while back about spearing n darkhouses and I It sparked my interests to wanna try it, considering Im mainly a Northern Pike fisherman n love the outdoors. So heres my ?'s.

I was thinking of getting the Eskimo Quick fish 3 and Wanted some opinions about if this would be a good "Portable Darkhouse," Ive check out the quick flip ones and they have the same material and it seems really dark in there, and the material looks like it will hold up nice to the weather. Im not looking at spending a whole lot of money right away til I know for sure Ill like the sport, but more likely than not I will.

Spears= Ugghh, I see all the different spear talks and everything on here n I went out n made my own its a 5 tine but thats all that was available to me and was used for carp, but Id like to know where I could find a decent one or the dimensions for a quality spear head, because I have access to a water jet steel cutting machine where I could get one cut myself. So whats the best? 9 tine? 7 tine? How long of a shaft? what type of shaft material to use? What makes them go straight in the water? This is my main concern.

Refraction... Now I know the water bends an image to us from seeing something through water, Now Ive never speared before and Id rather not miss all the time so I was wondering how you aim a spear, if the fish isnt directly below you? Do you guys have any tips, or am I just afraid of missing? haha

Decoys, when it comes to Fake, what would you suggest? Color? Length? Pike, Sucker, or other? Im ok at carving and in the process of making a Pike 8", but Id love to make more and rather have some input on what to make next and what color schemes would work the best...

Well if you guys could help with my questions that would be very helpful, I havent gotten the oppurtunity to go out yet because the weather here has been below negative 0 weather for darn near the past week.

P.S. Any other tips would be greatly appriciated, I am new and I am open for anything...

You said everythingI was going to. I am also new to this sport and with know one that I know does this I would really appeciate some advice to. Thanks to all who help. Happy holidays to all. Be safe.

P.S. I have a quickfish 3 I do think that would work. I am going to use some carpet on da floor just for some exrat darkness and safety. Thats a big hole to fall in!!!

Yeah, I was thinkin of the floor alot when it came to the quick fish 3, think marine carpet would do the trick, I love the stuff and its not as heavy as regular carpet and it pretty tough stuff n its cheap smile

I spear out of my Quickfish 3, so I can give you the skinny on that. On a bright day, it's not super dark inside, but if you bank some snow around the skirting, it is dark enough. The coating inside the QF3 scratches somewhat easily when scraped with a metal object, so be careful where you lean your spear!

I would also recommend buying some black/dark-colored carpet or floor mats to lay on the ice. It makes it a little darker and MUCH safer (less slippery) on the inside.

I love the portability of spearing from it. Easy to lake-hop!

Laska,

You should start with a multi-puropose house like the quick flip, it should be dark enough. If you like spearing you will want to go get the Canvas Craft Northlander made to spearing specifications. As others will attest it makes a great spear shack.

There are not really any good mass produced spears out there. The best ones that are fairly easy to find are sometimes referred to as Amish spears. These spears are of the turned weighted center design perfected by Dillo Hinnenkamp and Joe June in Melrose MN years ago.(Check the Kreamer, Pimple and Moening spears on these forms for examples). I know of a few bait shops carry the "Amish" spears, and I have seen them priced for about $100. If you can make your own spear that would be good too. I would say that a 7-tine will work just fine. The balance of the spear and the weight at the head of the spear makes them fly true on a relatively straight drop. I have several spears with wood or hollow metal at the end of the handle and they do seem to fly more true for longer angled shots in deeper water. It was explanied to me that the bouancy at the end of the handle keeps the end from falling down and the pulling the spearhead off target. Shaft length should be about 50" and total spear length should be about 60".

Refraction is a factor but after you have thrown the spear a bunch of times, you won't even have to think about it anymore.

As far as decoys go it really seems to come down to the mood of the fish. There are some days that anything suspended in the water column will atract the curriousity of a pike; even a suspended hot dog will get them to come in checking and will even provoke an attack some days. Other times you will have to get a bit more specific. It is just fun to try new things all the time to see what works.

Good luck and hope this helps you out on your new adventure!

My first comment is don't over think it.

Just go do it.

Laska-

I got into spearing last year. I already had a Quickfish3 so I've used that for spearing and it works fine. At some point, I'd like to get a Northlander or build a permenant house. I also got an Amish spear. It's worked great. The one other big purchase for me to start spearing was to get a Fish's Icesaw. Also works great. Oh... and some ice tongs too.

Anyways, there's a lot of good advice above by previous posters. I think you're heading in the right direction. Just go out and give spearing a try. It's been a lot of fun for me.

Huey

Laska, I don't have an icesaw and here is what I do when making my hole. I use my power auger and make the holes 3 x 3 (outside of a square) with about two inches inbetween holes. Also make a hole in the center of the block to aid in getting the big chunk out of the water. Once you chisel the sections holding the block together, insert your chisel into the center hole and pry it out.

Before making a hole do some checking around the immediate area to make sure you are not in a barrel. I once setup in a good looking area and later found I was inbetween a bunch of milfoil with about zero chance of anything seeing my decoy.

I've had really good luck with the small northern decoys. But don't be afraid to switch it up. Also, I think a lot of movement scares more northerns than letting the decoy sit and slowy rotate.

i was spearing out of my fathers eskimo flip over on a fairly overcast day, and it was much too bright inside. i had to throw the elastic travel cover over the front top part of the canvas to darken it up enough so i didnt see a glare on my spearhole. it helped enough, but there are better portable houses out there. i am soon to get a canvascraft, or a shappell 6000 hub style house. the canvascraft will last a lifetime if properly cared for, but the shappell weighs next to nothing, for super easy portability. i could stick all of my spear gear in my little mercury tracer!! anyhow, buying a spear shouldnt be too much of a problem. i need a new one myself, and by just looking around at larger baitshops, i have found those beautifully crafted amish spears. you cant go wrong with one of those, but you have to drop a bill on one!! worth it though. i also saw two cheaply made spears at gander mountain in forest lake for around 50-60 bucks. either way you look at it, if you save a little more money up, and go for the best, you will be perfectly set up for this great sport.

hope it helps,

merry christmas to all!!!

Well, I was going to try n go out today, til I woke up and it was snowing and there was an extra 4in of snow n the only shack I got to use right now is a heavy Frabill 2man and plus the hand-auger,chipper,spear and bucket, yeah just not workin for me, to much gear for just myself, But hopefully this friday Ill get out.

Pretty much have my mind set on the Eskimo Quick Fish 3, Its light and portable and seems like it would work just fine, there is plenty of snow here. I check the eskimo flip, and I just done think I could seal the front up good enough so it would be dark enough.

Where is that get together on Feb 8th?

Thanks alot for all the help guys every little tip helps me out greatly!

buying a spear shouldnt be too much of a problem. i need a new one myself, and by just looking around at larger baitshops, i have found those beautifully crafted amish spears. you cant go wrong with one of those, but you have to drop a bill on one!! worth it though. i also saw two cheaply made spears at gander mountain in forest lake for around 50-60 bucks.

I just piked up a 7 tine on some internet auction site last night for $35 plus $10 shipping.

There was a 5 tine left on buy it right away.

Not sure if is is still out there?

I figured i would drop in my knowledge as well for ya. I have ben spearing since I was about 8 and now im 21. For the first 10 years i speared out of my grandpas homemade 4x6 collapsable canvas houses and since i started college and i only have access to my own car (honda accord) i picked up a quickfish 3. Been using it for three years now and love it for spearing. Its plenty dark especially when banked up as i always do. I use an eight inch auger and drill a 5x4 (five holes by 4 holes) hole. As far as a decoy goes i have learned lots from my grandpa who has speared for over 40 yars. He has taught me to NOt "spin" the decoy till the last half hour of the spearing outing. Its almost a guarentee that he will get a pretty decent sized fish by doing this method of leaving it set instead of often times scaring fish or pulling in small hammerhandles. Also we rely solely on his homemade red and white decoys of two sizes. A smaller 8 inch and a larger 13 inch decoy both which work outstanding. He has made all our spears as well but it took probably 5 years towork out all the kinks in the production process and now they are perfectly balanced and take many fish each winter. Good Luck and let us know how things go for you this winter.

Im likin that everyone is likin the Quickfish 3 for spearing, its in my price range and most of the time im by myself so its very portable at 23lbs, thanks for all the info guys, Ill be sure to post some pics on here of my equipment n if I get some pike when I go out next time, my buddy is awsome with a video camera and wants to shoot some footage so I might even be able to post a video soon.

Merry Christmas All!