• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS for go to Fishing Spots

ivegottabite

Wondering if anybody uses GPS to mark prime fishing spots during the hardwater season?I am thinking about getting a GPS unit sometime soon, just for this reason. I am wondering if people prefer one brand over the other? I am looking for something that will be easy to use. I am looking to use it just to mark hot spots I have found while out fishing on the ice. Any input would be appreciated.

In my opinion, a GPS is necessity for any kind of fishing, but especially ice fishing.
You don't need anything fancy for just marking spots. I especially like using it to mark spots while in the boat to use later on the ice. For example, try to find a small brushpile in the middle of the lake without a GPS and you'll be drilling holes all day! You can drive around a lake in a boat with a locator and mark all the piles you want to use later on the ice!! Or if you have a hot spot the year before, you can put your shack right on the same spot the next year with NO doubt, no drilling, just drop it where the GPS tells you to! The uses are endless. Dave

Good point D. Stadler, a GPS can save a lot of time out on the ice.

And now with all the new technology out there for lake map software incoordination with GPS, the options are almost endless. You can plan your day on the ice the night before on your computer and then download the points on your GPS at home, so when you hit the ice the next day you are all set. Find the structure and contours at home on your computer on the actual lake map. You can even view the actual lake map on your GPS now too and pick spots to fish while you're out on the lake too.

Good topic, I was just talking with some people about this on monday. I'm axious to hear the responses too because I'm trying to learn more about it as well smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

I've been using the Garmin 12 for about 4 years now and I'd have to say it has been one of my better fishing investments. I've got coordinates stored for a number of fishing spots that I return to year after year.
The year I got it I took it to Mille Lacs and I found a nice spot on a flat 6 miles out of Myr Mar. I went back to that spot three times that year and found my old holes every time.(I also marked a point at Myr Mar before I headed out to help me get off the lake.) I’d suggest keeping a hard copy of all your stored points because one erroneous finger stroke and your point is gone. I learned this lesson the hard way. I keep a notebook at home with all my stored coordinates written down.
You can also store your points on the Lake Master software which allows you to print lake maps with your stored points. The less than desirable accuracy of the DNR maps is apparent when you start plotting your coordinates on the maps. I did purchase the ProMap series of White Bear Lake and I’ve found that to be very accurate.

Anyways, I got off on a tangent here, A GPS can be very useful. As far as which brand, There is a ton of info out there, just go to the vendors web site and inform yourself first and then decide what you really want or need your GPS to do.

[Note from Rick: Just thought I'd let you in on where to see more about the LakeMaster ProMap Series of maps which are highly accurate at:

http://Minnesota-lake-maps.com

Click on it and enjoy all the information and lakes available. I personally really enjoy the ease of my Garmin Map 76s and the Garmin ProMap series CD-ROM (it's sweet). Can you say no more secret spots and no more drilling holes all over just to find a good location.]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-09-2004).]

I have the garmin 12 and am happy with it. I use it in conjunction with online mapping software that I can map coordinates and then enter them into my GPS unit or manually transfer waypoints from GPS to the online map. They make the download software for this unit, but for the amount of coordinates that I take, I haven't justified paying for it yet.

I am looking to upgrade to a different GPS unit, but for just marking waypoints, just about any inexpensive unit will work.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

It is nice to have the whole lake map with accurate contours on right on your Garmin GPS using the Garmin ProMap series CD-ROM or Garmin PromMap series data card.

Click here for more information.

With a Garmin ProMap Series CD-ROM or data card you no longer have to live with only waypoints. Get the whole lake map right in front of you ON your Garmin GPS.

I couldn't agree more!! Nothing like watching yourself on the GPS drive over structure until you come to just the RIGHT spot. Drill some holes and catch some fish grin.gif

------------------
Paul
ProStaff Director
FishingMinnesota
Iceleaders

[email protected]
Drake Motel
Marcum
Otter Outdoors
JR's Tackle
Lakemaster Lake Maps

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 09-09-2004).]

Boy do I need to update. The one I used claimed to be accurate within 20' but was only accurate to 75'. By the way that is the reason I don't own one, just used a friends. If they can get me within 5-10' they'd be worth something.

------------------
Goosin now but Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

Must have. Another vote for the Garmin 12--hard working, solid, reliable, accurate (3 decimals, that's a 20 foot circle at least, tighter if you use "pace" to estimate a fourth decimal). Love the Lakemaster interface, especially the feature that lets you put the cursor on any point in the map and get the GPS coords instantly. By the way hsolist is a great place to pick up accessories for these things. I was about to send Garmin $40 for the PC interface cable, got it on hsolist for $6 plus $4 shipping, and there were a bunch more out there. GPS can also save your bacon, especially if you do as somebody above did--mark your starting point. I got fogged in in Wellfleet Harbor on Cape Cod a couple of years ago--a dangerous spot--and navigated home with the GPS first try no problem. In early April my buddy and I tried to get one last ice trip on Tonka--we had holes drilled from the night before, been out to that spot a hundred times, but the fog came up and we walked for a long time and never found it, my last ice trip, and that's how the season ended for me, walking in circles.--the gps was in the car. It's amazing how easy it is to get lost on the water or ice if your distance visual cues are absent.
Plus it gives you something to do when you're not fishing. A few hours with the chart or the software and your gps will significantly improve your success.

ice

hey guys,
thanks for the input on this topic. i didn't go with the garmin but found the one i liked and that would work best for me-- a lowrance h2o plus. i got lucky and got the plus for the same as the regular b/c they were out of the regular h2o. the help from you guys paid off, thanks again.