• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power source for a fishouse

duck2

I am in the process of building a 7' x 9' fishouse and am planning on providing the 12v power by using one of those 12v jump starter contraptions ( whatever they are called) I have seen some with air compressers and other gadgets integrated into them. All I want is good,strong long lasting 12v power to run the lights in my fishouse. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations to make with regard to product selection? Thanks

My partner and I have had a shack on Mille Lacs for the past 15 years. The best power
supply we have found is a Deep Cycle Diehard. Get the most expensive one you can afford, keep it stored indoors. We run lights, ceiling fans and the tv/vcr off of one and it lasts a long time. We even found a plastic battery box so it's easier to transport and charge.

Your idea will work fine depending on your power habits and length of time you fish.
I have a "portable" 12V power pack for emergency reasons be it fish house or truck out on lake. Have a bigger output model with all the options.. was like $200

The Deep Cycle is the best way to go like mentioned if you keep it up correctly like in storage and charging. I have two in my house, one for power and lights, the other hooked to a inverter.
If your hooked to your vehicles charging system its a breeze and or to a converter to just plug in at days end...
Some guys don't like dealing with battery issues every day and bringing them in and out with the weight and charging issues.

You have alot of options for 12V source. personal choice it boils down to..

Thanks to all for the quick replies. Although it sounds like the deep cycle battery is the most powerful option, I am attracted to the relative light weight and ease of transport that the portable 12V power source offers. If I don't plan on running TVs or other of the more power hungry devices is there any power rating on these portable units that I could use to evaluate their suitability for my use? Thanks

Good marine batteries are heavy for a reason. They have lead plates in them and the plates store the energy. While you power source will certain provide 12 volts for you, it is designed to provide short burst of 12 volts. It is not designed for long run needs.

I realize your desire to cut down on the weight, however you will also be cutting down on duration. Go buy a Tojan deepcycle battery and you will not be disappointed.

Useing the most expensive batterys how long will a battery last you running tv lights and vcr I get all mine from fleet farm there are pretty cheap about 55 bucks I cant get a battery to last me about 18 hours of solid use is there much of a diffrentce in lasting I bring 4 batterys fishing with me and if I could cut that down that would be great

The battery should have an AmpHour rating of Ah number on it. To figure how long it should last take the Ah rating divided by your total amps of draw from lights, tv,vcr, etc. That will give you the number of hours your battery will last.

Hope it helps.

Go with the Trojan! If you want to see how long your portable jumpstart unit will last, hook up all the things you use while icefishing. The time it lasts on the ice WILL be less due to the cold , you'll find the advise you're getting is sound. Save the jumper for the truck after a LONG, cold, successful night of fishing. You know, the kind where you turn the key and she says, "click!" frown.gif

I used a deep cycle battery in my fish house last winter, for the first time. With two 12 inch rotating RV fans, and 2 12 volt lights, plus inverter for radio, I was able to stay out all night and never ran out of power. That was with an old 115 amp/hr deep cycle that I had setting around the garage.

One other idea.
We sometimes have run the battery down a little to far,so what we have done is take an old extension cord and take the female end and wire it to the battery in your truck.Then take the male end and wire it to your battery in the fish house.That way when it starts to get dim and the tunes won't turn up very much plug the two extension cords together.Just remember you might have to start your truck up every once in a while

Now that I am convinved that I should use a deep cycle battery as my power source, I was wondering if it is necessarry to bring it inside to recharge it. Does it make a difference if I leave the battery outside on a charger or do I need to bring it inside a warm building in order to get a better recharge? Thanks

I run a small generator in the back of the truck with one of the side windows open (pointing away from the house)cannot hear it unless someone opens the door, it is quieter than the auger idling. I figure that buying the generator in the long haul will be cheaper and more efficient, it only weighs 30-40 lbs. I have not heard any complaints about it from other ice fisherman, some people are not affraid to voice their opinions.

We do the same thing as Dan Thiem does. Run it right off the battery in the truck. We used a trailer wiring harness I bought at Menards for $20 like the Chevy's started using a few years back with the big plug. I mounted the female end on the outside wall of the fish house and wired the male end with two big alligator clips that clip onto the battery. That way you don't have to lug around a heavy deep cycle but you have to start the truck up every once in a while. Works pretty slick.