• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best sled types for ice fishing

BradT

I'm looking at buying a used snowmobile to use mostly for ice fishing. I'm more looking for info on features than exact make/model. Like is fan cooled better than liquid? long track or short? studs or not? those kinds of things. please keep in mind that I'll be buying a used model I can't afford a new one. thanks for the help.

I really don't see any point in a long track unless you are going to pulling something heavy with this snowmobile. Studs will also help you pull heavy items and also give you grip when there isn't much snow on the ice. I really like the liquid cooled sleds but a fan cooled sled could be a great choose if you are planning on only using it when you are ice fish, They just don't run good if it is warm out!!!!

I would think studs are a must if you are going to using it on ice traction is key! the only thing with studs is if you turn to sharp and gif the hev ho your going to tip if your on solid ice. I have a sled that I use for ice fishing and my brother also has a sled without studs and thier is a big difference on how we pull with out studs. a fanner would work but sometines when it gets warm out the fan cant keep up with the heat. A long track would be nice but not needed, a long track only keeps you a float when traveling and most lakes dont have much snow on them. a 2up however would be something to think about becuase they usually have a basket/ more room to carry stuff. just my 2 sense

Go with a lightweight sled. I prefer longer tracks, giving you better flotation in deep snow. The snow may not be deep on the lake, but getting to some lakes can be a challenge...

I like fan models especially in the spring when there isn't much snow on the ice, you dont need the snow for cooling like a liquid model.

Get a sled with reverse, period.

I know you were not looking for an exact model, but the skidoo tundra is a great choice for ice fishing.

I like a 2 up because you can toss stuff in the back rack and you always seem to have someone who needs a ride and needs their house pulled out. Studs are nice to have for bare ice and getting up and down some of the hills you may encounter.

I would look at the conditions you primarily fish in. Are the lakes usually snow covered? I would assume so since your looking for a sled.

If you are on glare ice or low snow conditions a few things to think about:

1) Fan cooled sled will be better most of the time as on glare ice or low snow conditions there is no snow hitting the coolers of a liquid cooled.

2) Low or no snow conditions a long track will burn through high fax faster.

3) Studs are required IMO, but they also make it tough or impossible to turn. Sometime you will need to jump off the sled, lift it up and over to point in the correct direction.

Although I have never owned a "fishing sled" per say, I have done alot of thinking about which one I would get if I ever decided to. I guess I always thought that a Polaris WideTrak would make a nice sled for fishing. Wider track for floatation, low range which might come in handy for moving a bigger heavier house or breaking a frozen one loose, a nice storage compartment under the seat for supplies and the ever reliable Fuji 500 motor! They also come standard with a nice tall and wide windshield which would make getting there alot more comfortable as well as a back rack and tow hitch. Just my opinions of course.

I own a Arctic Cat Bearcat 660 four stroke. It is a long track and a wide track and I think it is the ultimate ice fishing rig. I have never gotten stuck, not even close and it can pull a house. Not to mention it gets incredible gas mileage.

I am another one for the 2up sled and the fan cooled motor. As stated above in an ice fishing situation there just is not enough powder going over the fins to cool a liquid. I do not have studs, but I should.

I would also recomend some kind of ski cover, a boot or something along those lines. It adds to the flotation, as well as protecting against the rocks and gravel in the landing areas.

I really like the ski-doo tundra for getting around on the lakes and in the woods. Easy to move around if in a tight spot and fast enough for me.

I have a 93 model. It has been tough as nails, reliable and very easy on gas. I don't even know if they make these anymore? Skandic seems to be a good choice as well for a bigger machine.