• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
wall eyell be

are those REALLY catfish pictures on the homepage ?

On the FishingMN home page, there is a Picture of Icehawk with the caption "Horseshoe Cats on ice" and one of Noah Palm with the caption "Icing Channel Cats"

Do either of those pictures look like CATFISH to any of you?

[note from Rick:]
Here's a bigger pic...what do you think?

IceHawks Channel Cat - From Home Page
IM000448a.JPG

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-09-2004).]

Sure the're not the biggest cats but they certainly look to be Channel Catfish. Have you ever seen a Channel Cat?

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Yep those are cats, our group yesterday iced over 100 cats.It was a fun day catching fish.

Guys those are cats, the cats in the chain system average about 2-4lbs with a occassional 5-10 lb fish mixed in. They are not as big as some cats in other systems, but the numbers in the chain are simply incredible!!! 100 plus days are not uncommon, if you want some serious action look into winter cats.

Wigeon, Icehawk,

What time generally are those kitties biting?

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Jpz, You can catch them all day long and into the night if you get to the right spots and have some patience. We like the "filler" action between the 'Eye and Crappie runs in the am and pm.
The real trick is to find a spot that produces all 3 species .It can be done.

Jpz,Mykal is right,you can catch them all day long.Morning or evening has been no different than midday.The key has been finding the right presentation that they will hit.

I'll be doing my "bass fishing" between ice out and May 14th with cubby jig and bobber over shallow dark bottom. Any and all are welcome to shorelunch, but it's (hopefully) more likely to consist of crappie than kitty.

Yep, those are cats. I was there to verify it wink.gif We caught a lot of cats yesterday. I think we caught around 100 throughout the 5 or so hours we were there. Catfish through the ice are awesome! Put up a great fight, and taste great in the fryin pan too! I managed to ice 29 cats yesterday! Biggest was about 4 pounds, and the average was 2-3 pounds. I even got my dad out there in on the fun. Thanks Icehawk!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Another fishing adventure I wanted to do since I saw the Lindners on In Fisherman do it.

Are you working the channel? What do you use for bait?

Any tips would be appreciated.

O.K. so where is Horseshoe located?? Looks like I have been missing out on all the fun!! Can a person get out without having a 4x4? What are they biting on? Thanks

Icehawk/Matt- Glad to see you guys had a good day on the chain. Icehawk, good to see you pictured on the main homepage icing a cat. Matt, good to hear that your Dad got to bend a stick. My main ice fishing parnter (Mykal) was down and out due to illness this weekend so I know he enjoys the pictures to get him through the work week. I hit a lake NW of little falls but hope to get back to the shoe perhaps this Sunday as I have Monday off for presidents day.

Well worth the trip to Horseshoe for some cats.

I just got done with a catfish fry. Mmmmm! That was good. The brother-and-law came over and we cooked some up. I tried a couple different recipes. CrappieMagnet gave me a catfish recipe that was awesome!

Looking forward to the next time I can ice a few more cats!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Rick

Thanks for the larger image. Yes that does make it clearer and Yes it does now look like a cat to me also.

I suspect the problem may be the quality of my eyesight, but for now I'll blame it on the quality of my computer monitor.

[This message has been edited by wall eyell be (edited 02-09-2004).]

wall eyell be:

I would have thought someone born in Alabama would know what a catfish looks like. Bubba, you done need new glasses.

Besides, shouldn't you have been WORKING instead of posting on FM. I thought you were TOO BUSY to take today off to fish. Don't blame the work monitors--they are not designed for pictures, they are set up for spreadsheets and Access queries.

Cyberfish and I, after conferring at length, do hereby sentence you to 10 (ten) days of bass fishing. And you will smile the whole time. At no less than three of these events you will prepare a "Bubba's Shore Lunch" of catfish and hush puppies. EMMMMM. And if you make any negative comments about bass, you will have to start the 10 outings over again.

Case resolved.

Funny, about 10 years ago when I lived in the St. Joseph area, we fished for those cats mostly in the summer. The largest we caught back then was 40"! There are some good sized cats in that system and they seem to have really prospered. I remember ice fishing the chain and thinking I had the walleye of a lifetime on when it turned out to be a 10 lb.cat that hit my fathead! Pretty crazy stuff. I think I may have to go back there to try it this winter just for old times sake! Sounds like fun!!!!