• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warning about Thorne Bros Rods

iffwalleyes

Holy Cows these things are amazing. My warning is that if you don't want to buy a lot of these don't buy one. Wow is all I can say I bought my first Sweet Heart Walleye early this winter and then after a couple trips out I bought a second Sweet Heart Walleye rod. Before I got off the phoneI asked the salesman about the dead sticks and it didn't take to much before the salesman talked me into a Dead Stick. Well then I need more reels for all of these new rods so he suggest the Tica Cletus 500. Well after getting one of those reels I bought 2 more. I have a 3 Genz rods now that I hardly use. Once I got the dead stick I though no way is this thing going to work it is way to flimsy, but last weekend I caught a 11# eelpout and it did exactly what it was suppose to do and I was able to fight the fish with easy. So warning Thornes Bros rods are addictive. I absolutely love them.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I agree Thorne Bros makes incredible rods, the big muskie we caught and aired the video of was caught on a Thorne Bros Laker Breaker Glass Rod. We even caught lakers on Walleye Sweethearts. Bill and Lonnie do one heck of a job! The thing that impresses me most is the ability to handle big fish with a light rod.

I have to agree. I didnt want to spend the cash. I thought no way could a rod be worth 50 bucks. But I ended up buying one. I now own 5. The best rod made. You will catch more fish using a thorne bros rod.

I won't fish with any other poles. YES it is a little more money, but like they say you get what you pay for. I have two walleye poles, a perch pole and a deadstick. LOVE them. PLUS, these guys know ice fishing. I will always buy all my fishing stuff from them if I can.
Ken

Feverpetal
A Deadstick is another term for a set line one that you aren't jigging. The Thorne Bros Dead stick was designed to have a light flimsy tip so that fish can bite and the fisherman can visually see the bite but the fish doesn't feel the bite. You don't use a bobber with this method either. The rod goes from being super flimsy at the tip to very rigid by the handle great backbone so that you can fight a fish with easy. Yes you use a reel on this rod just like most ice rods. I have been using this deadstick in conjunction with my Rock-N-Reel and have been having great success with the combination. They are not a cheap rod at 60-64 dollars but they are worth every penny. If you don't fish much they probably are necessary but if you are on the ice a lot like myself then there is really no reason not to have one.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I want one their walleye rods for jigging. Since, I'm from WI I can't do my own feel test on them. I'll be jigging from a house so I'm going on blind faith for your recommendations. My best rod now is a Genz 30" med rod. I thought about the 28" or 30" graphite rod. What are your thoughts and the model # to get. How does this compare to the Genz?

Big Sky I was in the same boat as you. I had 2 30" Genz rods that I used the same as you in a house pretty much all the time. I switch to their Walleye Sweet heart plus 28" medium action model number 14005 off of Thorne's Web Page. The tip is a little lighter than the Genz but that adds to the sensitiviy. Like I said I bought one and not two weeks later I purchased a second. That is my opinion on which to get.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 01-21-2004).]

I would recomend at least a 30" graphite rod. Unless you dont have the room for it in your house. Most of my rods are at least 30" and have a few 36" for Lakers and Big Walleye.

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 01-20-2004).]

I own 5 or so Genz rods. I bought a couple Sweet Pea rods at Thorne Bros a couple years ago for sight fishing. Now I own 8 rods in various sizes. They are the best rods money can buy. I send buddies there in the cities and do the on-line order thing. They are simply the best rods out there. Pat Smith will set you up with just what you need with no bullcrap mixed in.

Tell me about it. I owned 3 genz rods before I ever bought a TB rod. My first purchase in TB was a 28" sweetheart rod. I bought for a Rainy River trip 3 years ago. Then I was home one weekend and had a gift certificate to burn last year. So I had in mind to buy a pro for laker fishing in Canada. After talking to the salesman, he got me into a deadstick and a new case! Then I was at the ice fishing show this year and bought a perch sweetheart. So I own 4 TB rods now in the past 3 years!
SWEET RODS- The 28" is awesome for eye fishing. Even the perch SH is nice for average size eyes!
I too didn't think the deadstick would ever work. But after hooking into a 23" eye on Mille Lac's last winter with it, IT DOES WORK like they say.

GO GET YOURSELF ONE OF THESE RODS, I'd RECOMMEND TO THE FULLEST!

You guys are really tempting me here. So you really think there is a big difference between the Genz and TB rods? I was just on Bay de Noc and caught a 7 & 8 lb fish on the Genz. It's nice, but the rod is really loaded. I didn't like the feel when the fish relaxed on the fight. The rod seemed to spring back faster than I would like.

Yep I think that you need a Sweet Heart. They aren't as stiff as 30" Med Genz rods. Like I said the tip is lighter it should do a good job of keeping pressure on the fish.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

The TB rods load up nicely. I was in Canada a few weeks ago fishing for Lake Trout! I had the 32" pro (I think it's that long) and man was it nice!
I too had a 30" Medium Genz rod at first. Thought that was the Cats Meow until I bought the TB EYE SH! That rod kicks butt!
Have had some nice fish on that rod and it has a great action.
STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND CALL PAT SMITH- ORDER ONE TODAY!

Buzzer-

Sorry I forgot to mention where I get it. Wal-Mart usually has it. You can always try Menards or Home Depot... but they may not have the brand "Tommy Tape", but they will have something just like it. Its typically used for plumbing repairs.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"