• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a used boat

bass_hunter

I am buying a used boat. Are chrysler 90 hp charger a good engine? And can you use a car battery as a starting battery i will not be running anything else except for lights. I would apperciate the help.

Chrysler (than Force) were not known to be a reliable and solid motors, they had many problems and failures.

Main consideration right now it parts, Force was bought by Mercury then dropped. Some parts are still available.

Chrysler parts are almost impossible to find unless used.

I would steer away from the purchase.

Yes a starting battery is same as a car battery only with different terminal posts, you need to use this kind with the motor.

I have never heard anything good about force motors. My Brother in law had one and after 3 years he stated it was if it would fail sometime during the year, it was when was it going to fail. Unless it is a HUGE deal(almost free) I would pass on it.

Everyone is correct on this motor. They have been nothing but problems in the marine industry. I have seen alot of them come through that have been blown motors. Stay away from it if at all possible.

I have nothing but Good to say about my Chrysler. grin

I have ran a 115hp now for about 10-11 years with out as much as a hiccup.

Last year I started to have issues with ign. cutting out while running or just after started. Found out my CDI box was getting less than 10 volts during cranking. This translated into a internal failure of a tether switch and a corroded connection on the ign. wire ciruit. Then I had a pre-amp failure shortly after (caused by low voltage issue I was told). I ended up just going threw every thing in the ignition system and replacing everything and all ignition (figured it was time). Everything I purchased was unused in a box (old new parts) and it was purchased locally at a well known used outboard parts dealer. Fuel pumps, impellers, and seals all have been very easy and cheap to find. Now, the ign. parts (all though easy to find), where a little spendy, but not all that bad.

I will add how ever, I got the motor for basically next to nothing. It did need a CD box when I got it. I replaced it and it has run great ever since. I have a back up CD box in boat, just incase grin

I've purchased older boats with iffy motors in the past and I have to say - having an unreliable boat is about as bad as it can get. I would heed the advice of these experienced people and STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOTOR.

Chrysler - Force = RUN, don't WALK!!

I've purchased older boats with iffy motors in the past and I have to say - having an unreliable boat is about as bad as it can get. I would heed the advice of these experienced people and STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOTOR.

Chrysler - Force = RUN, don't WALK!!

No experience with the motor myself but have heard a lot of bad things on this site and others about them. I agree with the quote above. Nothing worse then not havaing it be reliable on the water. Worse thing to get out and not be able to get back in. Or get the boat in the water and it won't start.

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

I would agree with the setiments of the others - I'd keep looking for a different boat. While this is a cheap boat probably, if you need problems and repair work in the future you're going to have some frustration at a minimum trying to find parts and someone to work on it.

marine_man

I guess majority rules grin .

Kind of the oppsite of what I have run into over the years from owners of Chrysler motors. I guess I am not watching the Boat forum all that much grin cause my Chrysler has been running so good laugh

Does anyone who has posted own one?

I have found mine runs very smooth, easy to work on and parts are still around. Shop manuals are readily available also. Then throw in the on-line parts and info.

I will admit, the first couple generation of CD box’s where prone to premature failure, but the generation of the one I purchased in around 1996-1997 has held up great every since. I think most times when people have concerns with these motors, it is caused by something other than the motor (I.E. poor elec. connections from ign. switch). If the CD box failes it does not start anymore.

I do not want to be the Red-Cross or nothing, but if anyone needs any advice on repairing one or has questions, seek me out. I have a pretty fool proof way of testing the CD ign. box for failure wink. I am sure Valv knows about that smile

It's like the buddy who owned a Ford and had it in the shop a couple times, he tells someone and someone tells another, next thing you know the whole product line is considered junk grin

Bass_hunter Good luck on what you decide.

Ya shack, I have a 35 it runs great! after a little work,I also met a local guy who has a 55 he wanted to buy just my coils, I said no! helped him find new and used coils,he bought the used less than 1/2 price of new his 55 runs great! He bought it new and told me that this is the only problem he's had with his.I have other motors so mine went on the boat after working on it,ran it out fishin 3 times,starts right up idles down great,but I went back to my 15hp on my smaller boat.I expect to put it on the SmokerCraft that it came on when its finished next spring.If I dont sell it by then.

Quote:
helped him find new and used coils,he bought the used less than 1/2 price of new his 55 runs great!

Used elec. parts I have always been skittish about. I figure it is like screwing in a used light bulb. You never know how long it will last.

But!! What I have heard with CD ign. box's on these Chryslers, is some lasted for 20-30 years and some lasted for 20-30 hours. I figure if you get one that does not have any drop marks on the sides and it has lasted this long, it is going to last.