• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So.... this so called the thing the SPAWN

Larry FlatCaster

We've been making mention of it over the last week. (The Spawn)

Some may seen parts where I predicted that it would start at 70F

I would have thought the fishing would have slowed considerably since the water temps are around 75F as of Fri night.

I was out Weds and Fri and had some pretty good action.... 9 fish on the two outings....by action I'm saying numbers.... Not seeing the really large fish but still seeing a fair amount between 7-20lbs...

I have been noticing that the bigger ones are already looking beat up.

We boated one last night that looked like it had gone a few rounds with a prop... very fresh wounds, cuts and scrapes.

I've notices a difference in the way that they are bitting if you are getting hit close to shore... Quick Chomp and lots of rod bobble, very little run...

Out in the current from the bank... completely different story.

What are the rest of you finding out there from the mentioned above.

I do think that they have started the spawn... but am pleasantly surprised by the numbers.

Lets hear it.

Yep, sounds familiar.

I've seen several that have been beat up in the past few days.

Like I said in the other thread, mixing up your bait selection could pay nice dividends right now (small bullheads, suckers, creek chubs, even cut bait)

I've notices a difference in the way that they are bitting if you are getting hit close to shore... Quick Chomp and lots of rod bobble, very little run...

I've got a theory now that is going to sound nuts but I think bites like these are a protection mechanism.

Just like a big bluegill defending the nest, these quick hits & drops are a flathead taking care of intruders in their territory. I'm not quite sure why they aren't interested in the meal but it seams like they are more concerned about fending off the intruder first.

I know I've seen plenty of short run and drop runs, and a lot of rod bobbing as well. I've also caught fish immediately after recasting and setting the rod down, I mean immediately.

My thought is these feeding areas we've been consistantly catching fish at are turning into spawning areas now as well.

Eating isn't the first thing on their mind, reproducing is.

I think its in full swing now as well. 76 degrees was the water temp when I noticed the change. There is a big difference in bite activity, had a couple in the boat with big scars, etc.

Originally Posted By: LFC

I've got a theory now that is going to sound nuts but I think bites like these are a protection mechanism.

Just like a big bluegill defending the nest, these quick hits & drops are a flathead taking care of intruders in their territory. I'm not quite sure why they aren't interested in the meal but it seams like they are more concerned about fending off the intruder first.

I know I've seen plenty of short run and drop runs, and a lot of rod bobbing as well. I've also caught fish immediately after recasting and setting the rod down, I mean immediately.

My thought is these feeding areas we've been consistantly catching fish at are turning into spawning areas now as well.

Eating isn't the first thing on their mind, reproducing is.

I think its in full swing now as well. 76 degrees was the water temp when I noticed the change. There is a big difference in bite activity, had a couple in the boat with big scars, etc.

Very well put...... and am in total agreement.

thanks

I would also have to agree with you hanson...i just recently watched a seminar video by Matt "Catman" Jones and he talks about that specific behavior....he says thats why he watches the rod tip most because those cats would just inhale it hold it till dead then spit it out...he theorizes its territorial behavior....but I'm still a student in this game and haven't experienced this behavior yet....

Last night we had many bites that were very short and the rod bobbled alot in the shallower water depths. The hits in the deeper water were a little better, but not by much.

Last Sunday the fish were hitting the baits pretty hard and by Monday, it was slowing and some of the fish were marked up.

Tuesday evening it slowed even more and the size was less.

So, from last Sunday to Friday night, the fish size shrunk and so did the bite but, we are still catching fish.

Cats will pick up baits, or other objects that fall near there selected nesting site, and move them away to a distance they feel comfortable with.

This may me a normally delicious bait, but for now, there minds are on getting "Play" not pray.

Defensive or territorial strikes are common during nesting site search, and establishment. Once the nest is full and fertilized they do not like to move off it for anything. Hence..the easy pickings for "Noodelers".

Caught a nice 25lber last night that was obviously spawned out. Also it was caught in an area where the only thing on it's mind was to eat. So that is some positive news.