• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost my best buddy today

Ryan_V

I've told him over and over to stay off the road. He didn't listen. My GSP who turned 10 last week was killed today on the road. Nobody's fault but my own but it doesn't sting any less. He was just doing what he loved...running and exploring. I saw a pickup stop at the end of my drive way, so I walked twards it. He took off so I ran to the end of my driveway and looked both ways like I've done a thousand times before, the difference in this one is I saw what I dreaded. He didn't suffer at all. My wife and I picked him up and put him in the truck. He'll be creamated and either kept or spread. He was our first child and our best friend. We'll all miss him terribly. hard to part with a pet!! I got him at 6 weeks old and have a picture of him on my lap the day I brought him home!! My 6 year old took it very hard.

See ya later Jake, thanks for 10 great years. you will be irreplacable. love ya buddy!!!

Ryan V, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss, the memorys that you have will be priceless, but also they will hurt only because he's not with you , but he will always be in your heart!!! Yes the pain of sorrow sucks , please do not be afaid of griving it will help. Don't remember the good times with tears but with a laugh and the thought of: you give him a great life111111111

I lost my 11 month old GSP the same way. She was just out exploring and someone hit her. I think about her everyday and its been almost two years ago. I am so sorry for your loss. You have a million memories of him to get you by now. When you are ready get yourself another GSP. I have two now, they are my kids and I love them as such.

Take care of yourself.

fishtrapgirl

So sorry to hear of your loss. Take comfort in the thought that someday down the road you will see him again. When you take your new hunting buddy out for his first hunting trip. He will be barking at the newbie to go left instead of right because he knew that the birds were to the left. Then the newbie will go right.

Sorry if this does not come across as being funny. It is the only way I know how to help people feel better.

hey man, sorry to hear about your loss. i know exactly what you are feeling. we lost your sheltie on sat. man does that hurt. couldnt get out of the rut in the snow and i hit her with my truck tire. try to remember all the good times, it took me a few days to get that in my head to start healing. its never easy losing a pet, just like a kid, there to greet you when you get home, trying to sneel in that extra treat etc. i feel for ya big time.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It still hurts for me to think about the day my setter left for the Big Field in the Sky. I was lucky to have 13 years with her. That was 4 years ago and I still haven't mustered the courage to take her pictures down and put them away. I know the pain that you're feeling and know that there's many here on FM thinking of you and your friend.

thanks for all the kind words. I just can't wrap my head around it yet. Last night I layed awake all night and relived in my head over and over again what happened, running to the end of the driveway, finding my best friend.... hopefully tonites sleep comes a little easier. thanks again folks!!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I haven't had a hunting dog yet. But I remember when I lost my first dog in grade school. Chokes me up even today thinking about it. Cherish the memories of your old friend...

I lost a dog to similiar situation, however I got right on the horse and started looking for a new dog right away. It's hard when your best bud is gone, but remember they lived for what they were bred for, we should all be so fortunate. By the way, my replacement dog goes no where's near the highway, has no interest whatsoever. I keep thinking maybe my former dog's spirit keeps her away and safe? What's done is done, hopefully you have pictures and for sure memory's. Greive, and when you know it's time, start a new relationship with a new pup. Just my opinon RJ

Talking about helps, and I think it lets your friend know how much you loved him and and how important he was to the family.

when I lost my friend I was given a cast mold of one her paws.

I see it and warmth comes into my heart. Tears are coming now.

Took me 4 years before I got a another friend. She's not a replacement but another extension of our family.

My condolances go out to you and you family.

as i posted earlier we lost your sheltie last sat, monday we welcomed a new young one into our home and all i can say it really helped in the healing process. dont get me wrong its still really tough getting over the first one. my fear is the new one wont live up to the first one.

I can't get another dog, not yet. I always said Jake was irreplacable and I now realize how true that is. It just isn't the same around here and I see reminders of him all over the house and outside.

I actually told the kids we'd get a few farm cats. Jake didn't allow cats on "his" property!! so now we'll go the cat route for now. that will help the kids out, but not me!!

Sorry man thats hard. I had the same thing happen to me. He was my best friend and hunting partner. I decided to go and get one and when that didn't help I decided to ad another. Ten months later I'm starting to feel better. But that first fall when your walking into your best coverts he will be with you. Sorry and it will get better.

Sorry to here about your loss. We had to put our 11 year old lab down in 05' Our daugher was 5 at the time and also took it really hard. One day as my wife and daughter were driving down the road my daughter said " Mom lets adopt a baby sister because I don't ever want to say goodbye to a dog again." so exactly one year to the day that we put our lab down we signed the final adoption papers in India on our second daughter. I believe had we not lost our dog we never would have adopted our second. This was the only bright spot of our dogs death. Hope the healling goes well for you. Oh yeah we now have a 6 month old pup.

that's a cool story lindy!!! However, don't take offense if I don't follow suit!!! \:\) No more kids (i have two) and no more dogs (still have my protector German Shepard). I feel like I'm cheating Jake if I get another dog. Plus with the 2 kids, I don't have the time to work with a dog again. I have a hobby farm and I'm NEVER in the house. I'm always working on something outside. this weekend, I just can't stay outside working because my buddy isn't there with me chasing the horses and ducks..... I know the empty space will never be filled, but I hope it closes somewhat sometime. Again, cool story, thanks for sharing.