• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

truck grinds when turning????

I had the same thing start happening in my pickup after about 90K, didn't notice it at first, but the end result was I had to get the front end re-done. Hopefully yours is an easier less expensive fix, but that is what I experienced on a similar situation.

Your driveshaft doesn't "clunk" when you shift into reverse does it ? that shouldn't make that noise of a grind though. I currently drive a 2007 chevy Silverado 4dr 1500 classic , used to own a 99 silverado. that truck took a beating!

A limited slip, otherwise known as positrack, rear end will sometimes make these grinding/binding noises in the scenario you describe. You can put a friction modifier in the fluid to alay the problem. Any auto parts store will carry it, and they may be able to steer you in the right direction as to what type you should use. Lucasoil is what I use (no vested interest, just a good brand.). Follow directions on whatever product you buy, most will come in a small plastic squeeze bag with just the right amount.

Also, make sure the rear end has adequate oil in it. Fill with the correct type, or better yet, drain and refill with the right type. If you aren't sure, the type should be in the manual, and any GM parts department should be able to tell you what to use, as well as if and what type friction modifier should be used. If you do drain it yourself, look closely at the fluid. Fine metallic particles are normal, but chunks are bad. If you find chunks, have rear end looked at by a pro.

Originally Posted By: john.wells
A limited slip, otherwise known as positrack, rear end will sometimes make these grinding/binding noises in the scenario you describe. You can put a friction modifier in the fluid to alay the problem. Any auto parts store will carry it, and they may be able to steer you in the right direction as to what type you should use. Lucasoil is what I use (no vested interest, just a good brand.). Follow directions on whatever product you buy, most will come in a small plastic squeeze bag with just the right amount.

John hit her right on the head!

I would say, the dealer does have what you need also. ( times out of 10, this will cure the concern.

Pretty sure it is a u-joint going out. I excelrated hard to see if the rearend made noise but heard the old tickin goin on. Must put a stress on the drive shaft when you turn which is what i must be hearing. Thanks if this dont solve it i will investigate some more and get back. Thanks Again

The driveshaft doesn't care if you going straight or doing figure eights. Typically a u-joint that is bad/dry will squeak in either forward or revers or sometimes both. When the get really bad they can clunk and cause vibrations. I usually get this part backwards but here it goes. if the vibration is on acceleration it is typically the rear u joint if it is on decel it is typically the front u-joint.

My thought, although the other inputs are more likely, is that the rear drums have rusted enough that the drum is scraping on the backing plate. This is a pretty common complaint with many GM and fords.

Like airjer said the rear d/s does not care if the truck is turning. The first place I would check is the outer axel bearings. The chev 8.5" 10 bolt is a royal POS. The sound you are describing leads me to think that tose bearing may be at fault. Another problem with that r/a is the bearings on the diff case. GM sorta fixed the problem in '99, but not really. The case bearings will spin on the case and eventually break the ear off where they mount. The noise you are describing can also come from there. The first thing I would do is drain the R/A and look for metal fleck. Then pull the axles and check the surface where the outer bearing rides.