• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfishing For Beginners

hanson

I don't know if I'm interpreting this banter correctly, but if you are talking about line weight requirements on rods, they are pretty modest. For instance, my cue stick flatty rod that rushing built for me reads 10-30 #. The reason they put 10-30 pound test is that's the safety zone from the company that built the blank so you don't blow the rod out. Some guy could be trolling with that rod and hook bottom. 30 pound line would have a lighter breaking point than the rod so you'd blow the line before the rod. The rods can handle 40-60-80-100 whatever pound line just fine, but if you put that kind of stress on the rod, the rod will break before the line.

Guys generally prefer 60, 80, or 100 pound Sufix or Power Pro braids because they don't lose fish in snags or rocks. Plus it is wider diameter and doesn't cut down into the spool and make birds nests.

Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I thought and thanks for putting it in better terms.

In that case, I'm not sure I would run heavy braid in a rod built for 10-16lb line. Sure you might be good for a while, until you aren't. And I'm betting a 10-16lb rod isn't gonna much like tossing several ounces of weight around either.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic