• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfishing For Beginners

hanson

Sheephead are made for eating crawdads and mussels with that plate in the back of there throat. I was concerned that circles were not effective in getting a hook set in the corner of their mouth when last weekend the first one I caught was hooked back there. However all the ones I have caught after have been fine. I gut hook sheephead far more than any other fish because they are in such a hurry to get it to the back of their mouth where they crush what they eat.

If those sheephead want my respect, they need to send one of the granddaddies my way that weigh 20# +!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might need a lobster for bait to catch that grand daddy drum! Although I've never weighed nor measured those big sheepies, I know that on occassion I hook into one of them in the Mississippi, thinking a big cat, but just a big drum while using live suckers for bait.

Grant, Check out my thread on 24 hour bait stores. Hot dogs are great to catch bullheads that can then be upgraded either live or as cut bait.

Be careful you buddies don't eat them all if the fishing is slow.

I always fillet the first cat I catch leave skin on then throw it skin side down on the hibachi and cover with cajon red spices. We pick at the fish while fishing. Hot dogs are a great fallback on a fishless night or with kids who don't like hot cajon spiced catfish. Hans

Question from a newbie. When you guys rig up for cut bait..do you put your egg or bank sinker on main line then bead, swivel then line to circle hook? How many inches do you use from swivel to hook? 6-12"?

Thanks for info.

Originally Posted By: Hooliganz
Question from a newbie. When you guys rig up for cut bait..do you put your egg or bank sinker on main line then bead, swivel then line to circle hook? How many inches do you use from swivel to hook? 6-12"?

Thanks for info.

Sounds right to me. Basically a live bait or Lindy rig for walleye fishing, just the components are a bit different.

Main Line... Sinker... Bead... Barrel Swivel... Leader... Hook.

I keep my leaders about 8-16". I really don't think it matters too much. I tend to stay on the shorter end but I don't think it matters that much when you are talking 1'. If we are talking the difference between 1' & 4', yes... big difference.

what do you use for leaders, generally? I've never fished for catfish, most of the fishing I've that has needed leaders has been in salt water, and I just use 100# mono for that(very simple and cheap, can even handle sharks)

How would catfish leaders differ from, say, northern pike or musky leaders?

I use the same line as my mainline. You don't need a wire leader. Leader length varies by situation - if you're fishing heavy current, go short. If you're in light or no current, the leader can be longer (12-18").

I think the general consensus is that they don't work very well. I think some have used them with a little success. They certainly are not as good as suckers and other cutbait. Same goes for using them as live bait, although I don't know why a flathead wouldn't be attracted to them.

Originally Posted By: mplspug
I think the general consensus is that they don't work very well. I think some have used them with a little success. They certainly are not as good as suckers and other cutbait. Same goes for using them as live bait, although I don't know why a flathead wouldn't be attracted to them.

I concur on both counts. I tried them last year as cut and live bait and never had so much as a nibble.

They will work, but not that good. I have used them a few times in a pinch. I usually have some worms in the boat and can catch some sheepies if need be. I was good at forgetting the bait at home last may. One night I forgot cut bait so we cut up a sheepie, got two small flats on cut sheepie and one bite on a bully. Next night I forgot the bullies. One flat on a live sheepie, only bite we had. Seems the really hungry cats will eat almost anything in the spring. One thing I have done is to switch to cut sheepshead to stop the other sheepshead from stealing the cut bait.

Originally Posted By: mplspug
I wonder what it is that isn't as appealing or what the other bait has that they don't.

Would be interesting to know for sure. I've chatted with enough folks who have used it, and tried it enough myself to not try anymore. Success rate is just not that good to keep trying it when Suckers, Creek Chubs, Goldeye, and even Frogs outproduce it. Heck, I'd put Sonny's Stink Bait on before using cut sheepshead again and I am NOT a big fan of stink bait. ;\)

Originally Posted By: AceintheHole
What to you guys think of the Mustad demon cicle hooks and there live bait Big gun hooks. I picked some up today at gander and just wondering what your opinions were.

If the Mustad demons are the ones I'm thinking of, I've never used them but am very hesitant as well. They have a very small gap and a very heavy wire gauge (diameter) for the size of the hook. Big Gun hooks I guess I'm not familiar with off the top of my head.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Gamakatsu Octopus Circles. I've had tremendous success with these over the years. Moore's Bait and Tackle carries the Gammi Circles.

I also updated the locations topic a bit. Got a lot more to add but I hit on the first few types of patterns.

If you guys thought I was giving out specific areas... sorry. \:\(

I'm going to discuss basic patterns that can be applied to nearly any river in the state and beyond. These patterns shift and change with river levels and current speed so you need to be out and about exploring and learning the river and watching for these patterns.

IMO... these patterns are higher percentage areas but that does not mean you have to be fishing on of these "spots" to catch fish. You don't. Alot of the time, cats are transitioning between areas and if you have your bait in the water, they won't turn down that opportunity.

More to come!