• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #5: Longbeard Assassins (6 for 6!)

Tippman

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys - It was a fun 3 days. She's having her bird mounted full strut the way he shot him. I take her up to URL and a crappie gets put in the freezer, now a turkey, I'm afraid to bring her in the woods this fall! eek.gif

About that headless,beardless bird... well I do believe that the contest started April 5th at noon right? Well I had both birds killed before that so I think I'll have to wait 'til I get back from the Black Hills to register one! This time I'm gonna get one for the wall. Good luck fellas hopefully Hoyt will have some good stories for us when he returns from the turkey state. Here's that headless jake - I guess if I had to score him... 14lbs + 10(.25) + 10(.25) = 19. That'll win us the contest for sure!

matt_turk2.jpg

Just got back I will have photos.We had to rush and get them done because rain started to come down and we where breaking camp.I hope I coverd the rules,the contest form was not out by time I left on the 4th.We had a great hunt when I left today we had 6 birds for 4 guys.One guy in camp was on his third tag.I brought him out this morning called in a great looking merriam all white and he missed at 10 yards oh well that's how it goes.I did end up taking a 19.6 long beard on the 8th and a Jake that evening.My long beard had 4 beards I will put that all in once I get the pictures.I had a witness sign a sheet a paper with the date and a picture of him with the bird I just don't know how the photos will turn out with the measurements.If they don't work I will be back in SD next week.

Nice birds sticknstring glad you guys had some good luck.After that first day I didn't know how things where going to go.We have huge flocks still.I'm working on the pictures my camera for some reason would not pick up the dash on the tape measure we had to use a friend that when on the trip.So I'm trying to get them e-mailed to me.It might take a couple days.

I'm off to Kansas early Saturday if this 15" of snow we are suppose to get tonight and tomorrow will let me get out of here. I'm going on a semi-guided hunt down there and the landowner says the birds are gobbling great. Lots of birds. I'll see. I'm ready!

By the way, sounds like you had a great time in Neb. sticknstring, and you to Hoyt4!

Best of luck in Kansas paintbrush. I've never been down there. 4 of us are actually heading back down to NE today to take a a few youths out with the shotguns. Gonna be a little wet and cold but Sunday should be nice. If they get birds early... I might have time to sneak out and get a crack at another one. I'll report on Monday.

Well we ran into some good luck scouting on Fri and found a flock of 70 birds on some ground we were able to hunt... the storm really got the birds grouped back up. The boys did pretty well and made up for some missed shots last year. 5 birds including two toms in one shot! I snuck out with the bow for awhile after that but didn't have any birds within bow range. Starting to get a little educated. Hard to leave yesterday as it was absolutely gorgeous. I wished MN opened today... folks would have some awesome weather to hunt birds in. Wednesday will have to suffice.

Good luck Hoyt in Sodak and to everyone starting off MN wednesday morning! Off to the hills...

boys_small1.jpg

boys_small2.jpg

Well I wish I had an early season. I was out scouting today to set up a blind for a buddy I'm gonna put on a bird. There was 14 different tom's right around the area the blind was going! Groups of 1 to 6. I ended up just leaving so not to spook them and came back this afternoon and set up the blind. Does that get the blood pumping.

Ya it's the most I've seen in any one small area at once ever. The woods sounded like thunder with gobbling at first light. I tossed out a trail cam too, hopefully will have some pics to post on Wednesday. Now as long as I can do my job for the team in May..

Neat pic, thats a mess of goblers. I'd be happy with just one.

I start on Wednesday and it looks like the weather gonna finally break and warm up, just in time. I hunt in extreme SE MN, down by Houston and LaCrescent and I really think the winter took its toll down here. Lots of ice in December followed by a ton of snow all year long. I'm just not seeing birds and just not hearing any gobbling, just a few birds hear and there. So few in fact that I have yet to decide where I'm going opening morning. I have 5 farms lined up but none are real active. We'll see what happens, I only need one right! If the turkeys don't pan out then I'll fish some walleyes on the river and some brookies in the streams. Just looking forward to a little vacation.

Speaking of trail cams... here's one taken of the tom my girlfriend killed along with his buddy a week prior. And I'm pretty sure one of the 7 hens has a 6-7" beard as I saw the same group later on. If only I could've gotten a crack at her... we'd have two birds at the tax man!

Purple - Best of luck Wednesday... lets make it 3 for 3! And Hoyt I can get those pics up for you as well if you can get them to me by 5 today.

turk_trailcam.JPG

All right guys I just got back from Kansas a little bit ago, and want to report SUCCESS!! Took a 20 lb 13 0z. Rios the first day at 7:00 am and then another 17lbs 8 oz. bird at 10:00 am on the first day too. Tons of birds down there! First bird scored out at 57.6875. I'll get pictures and a full story up tomorrow, and get him registered in then also.