• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #5: Longbeard Assassins (6 for 6!)

Tippman

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here's a summary of this years hunt.

Day 1. Went to the spot I saw 14 longbeards earlier but haven't had time to scout lately. Didn't see or hear a turkey all morning! Thought I might be in trouble but checked on another spot I have access to on the far eastern side of area 223 and the landowner said he's been seeing birds. Set up blind.

Day 2. Heard gobbling right away in the morning. Had two toms come in and one offered a 30 yrd shot. He had a thin beard though and there were 5 more toms coming in behind him. I had visions of picking out the biggest while they were all strutting in the decoys. Well they crossed long and pulled the bird at 30 yrds with them, never got a shot and couldn't call them in.

Day 3. Birds didn't even enter field I was in today. Checked out spot on far western side of 223 and saw some birds. Set up a makeshift blind out of nearly see through duck blind netting that I tripled up to help out in a U shape. It's the best I could do with what I had and it was thick behind me with brush. Cut a hole in center and hoped for the birds to come out in front to decoys and shouldn't be too hard of a shot.

Day 4. Birds gobbling behind me in morning. They flew down and started coming right in once I called to them along field edge. Once they got around corner and saw decoys they held up. There were 7 or 8 toms, two went out to middle of field and the others I waited for then tried calling to. After about 30 mins they had enough and started walking away after getting within 30 yrds, but through thick brush. I was on my knees and legs were completely numb, managed to find a very small hole through the brush and knew I would get busted drawing back but I had to take the chance. (was off to the side of my blind material) Heads went up, I was barely able to finish the draw since it was to my far right and such an awkward angle to draw. Heads went up and they began clucking when one walked into my small area of opportunity. I took the 33 yrd shot which was as tough as I was comfortble taking and looked like I hit him good. He immediately flew straight into a huge wet swamp. My arrow looked good with blood and feathers. Gave him 30 mins and went looking where I marked him last, after 20 mins of looking was feeling disappointed when I saw a dark patch across a drainage ditch. Well it was him looked like he landed dead with wings out. Flew about a hundred yards total. Hit him right where I wanted just in front of leg on left and through on right 2/3rds of way up to back. Used hypershocks.

Wont be able to help you out sticknstring, private land and I won't be around anymore, otherwise it would be fun. One of the birds with the one I shot even had a double beard too! first I've seen.

I had one die in mid-flight before with an arrow sticking out of him... tough birds no doubt. Sounds like the action was good and the hunt even better. I've been doing lots of hunting but the kind that involves a house and not a turkey cry

Same teams next year right grin

Same teams next year right grin

I'm up for it! Ha.

Finally got my submission up. We still need Paintbrush's bird right? It's the top 4 birds so we really need that entered!

If he does not get his in it will be real close then.What a season for all the teams.Some great birds taken on here.I had a buddy take his first turkey on Saturday evening and it had double spurs.I have only heard just never seen it.Was pretty cool to see.What a great first turkey he is hooked now.