• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel stabilizer run in the summer?

EricD

I am getting a new boat with a Mercury 115 4 str. I was chatting with a mechanic the other day and he suggested that I use stabilizer in the fuel all the time. He thinks that fuel additives and ethanol in the fuel can make it unstable even after a few weeks of sitting and it's good preventative care to drop a bottle into the tank each time I fill it up. What do you think?

Won't hurt anything. Probably won't need it if you plan on using it at least every few weeks. My motorcycle dealer puts it in everything they set before it goes on the floor. They told me that sometimes a bike or atv might sit for awhile before it is sold and this prevents problems. Ain't no fun fighting with a fuel system that gets gummed up.

It's 100% dependent on how often you're going to be using the boat. If, like Hafnutz said, you're planning on using it every couple of weeks you'll be fine. If it's going to sit for a month I definitely would put a fuel stabilizer in it to prevent problems in the long run.

marine_man

I use a little seafom in every tank to prevent problems since it supposedly is a stabilizer and also helps to prevent moisture problems. I think a stablizer is a good idea and fairly cheap to do.

I had a problem 2 summers ago with a bunch of water getting into my fuel tank. The boat went to the dealer who gave me a bill for close to $300 to diagnose and remove the bad fuel. I always run premium non-oxygenated now to hopefully prevent this problem in the future. Ethanol seems fine for my vehicles, but it's not going in my boat.

Seafoam does a good job of stabilizing as well. Buying premium gas doesn't really help you with gas life - if it's the non-oxygenated type there won't be any ethanol, which might help a little, but it's not going to be a dramatic improvement in gas life.

marine_man

Whether or not non-oxy stores better I couldn't tell you, but it sure makes me feel better when I put the boat away in the fall with two full non-oxy seafoamed tanks. After those get burned up in the spring its nothing but the cheap stuff! Can a guy say that anymore?

I know this topic started out with a 4 stroke, but here is some info the guy who I bought my rebuilt 2 stroke from gave me. He told me the non-oxy gas was best if you can find it, its 100% petro and none of this Ethanol that can be hard on a lot of older engines like my rebuilt. He also told me that he went to a Yamaha class and they put two 2 strokes side by side. After 400hrs the engine that had the Ring Free/Carbon Guard product in it looked like it was still newly rebuilt when examining the engine. Airjer you are right, I don't even pay attention to gas price anymore, its too painful.

Non-oxy gas with seafoam in all motors besides my truck. I have not had one fuel related problem ever. I even put 1 oz to a gal in my truck every 5-6m miles. Have I been lucky? Maybe. But with over 60 cylinders to take care of I like the odds of the way I have been doing it.

Originally Posted By: airjer
Whether or not non-oxy stores better I couldn't tell you, but it sure makes me feel better when I put the boat away in the fall with two full non-oxy seafoamed tanks.

I agree with you, but the main reason I feel better about it is because there's no ethanol in it. Either way you still need to have a fuel stabilizer of some sort in it, non-oxy or not.

marine_man

I'm a big fan of Sea Foam. I haven't run it through my boat motor yet but will be on my first fill this year. I used it in a lawn mower I was having troubles with, and it made a world of difference. Half way thru the lawn I'd have to pull the choke almost all the way out. After a little Sea Foam, ran like a top all the way through the lawn.

When I got my 15hp Johnson it ran like [PoorWordUsage]. had to pull it 20-30 times to start it. ran a full can of sea-foam in a 6 gal tank now it runs like a top and starts on the first or second pull every time, so now I run sea-foam in every tank of gas and have never had a problem in the last 8 years.

With any 4stroke you should use a carbon build-up preventative. All the manufactures have their own house brand. Perhaps some of the after market stabilizers also have a carbon guard.

Good luck with your new rig, it sounds nice.