• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Technigues in trailering at the ramp?

LEECH21

Just curious if you guys have a few pointers in loading and unloading your boat at the ramp when you are by yourself. Just bought a 16 foot Crestliner with a tiller on a bunk style trailer. Just trying to play it out in my head how I'm gonna handle this thing by myself at the boat ramp. In the past I've always gone with someone in their boat, so it was always two people. This spring, with the new rig, I'll be spending a lot of time on the water by myself. Any pointers would be awesome!

Thanks ahead of time, Leech.

Here's a sweet tip...take a launching line (Fleet, Scheels, Gander) it's like 20 ft long and has a foam handle and a hook to clip on the front of the boat. I have a loop tied on mine where I can slip it down the post that the winch is attached to. Unhook the winch strap, remove the tie downs, transom saver, and so forth and slowly back the boat into the water and let if float off. Drive forward a few feet, get out, grab line and tie off on dock. It has worked for me for years!

One of the most ethical things a guy can do IMO is to load all of your gear before you back the boat into the water or block the ramp. When coming out, load the boat, pull off the access and into a parkign stall to unload your fear.

Also, with a bunk trailer, you will want to make sure your bunks are wet before loading your boat. It makes the loading process a lot easier.

Have a 10-15 foot tag line to hook onto the boat when unloading so when it floats off the trailer, you have room to maneuver the boat over to the dock and tie it off so you can park your rig.

When loading, back the trailer in far enough to soak the bunks and then pull back out far enough to load the boat.

Powerloading is a hot topic lately and I'd recommend NOT doing it.

Make sure your boat is secured onto the trailer before you pull it out of the lake. I've seen guys take off and drop the boat on the concrete.

Ah, the mighty loading/unloading thing. I'm not proud and I have no problem saying that alone, it's not as easy as some would think it is.

As said earlier, load all your stuff into your boat, and be ready when you back onto the landing.

When the ice breaks, hook up your boat and go to the landing. Launch it a few times. (This is a really good excuse to go boating!!! grin.gif) This isn't pro hockey, but doing it a few times will teach you a LOT about doing it.

Take your time. I understand that while others are waiting you may feel rushed. However, rushing through makes you slip up more. After some runs you will know what you need to do, take your time, say hi to the others at the ramp, and just do it.

My biggest thing...........at the ramp, help out the other people trying to land/launch/get in/get out. Call it karma, call it being nice, call it what ever you want to. When you help others at the ramp you see the problems they have. Not only are you helping them, you are learning also. When you help the other guys (if they want it) it's a great feeling, and the bottom line is having a good time is what it's all about.

When I'm alone, I have a line about 30 feet long that I tie to the bow and the dock. This way I know that no matter what happens I won't have to go swimming after my boat.

I unload a 20+ ft skeeter with bunks by myself about half the time I fish and it's really easy. you need to go to a access that no one is using and work out the depth that your trailer and boat do best in but remember that the angle of the ramp is the variable in this. find out how deep you need to place your trailer so that you can push it off or start your motor like I do and idle it off in reverse if the access is deep enough. do not power on or off the boat, you should be able to find out where you boat easily goes on and off and adjust for the angle of the ramp your using. remember to be smart about how you use your power trim if you have it, it can really help. a little preperation goes a long way at the ramp. since I can't always get my boat up all they way tight coasting it on I crank'er up the rest of the way with the strap and winch. you'll get it. the advice about a tag line is real good this will help you get your boat out of the way and to the other side of the dock.

Glad someone started this post. I've got a 16.5ft (about 80inch wide) fiberglass boat that will easily way a ton, and I also will be loading/unloading myself occasionally. One thing is I have rollers and most of the posts have referred to bunks. It seems a lot of the advice so far would work either way, but if anybody can add any other insight I'd appreciate it.

I get everything in the boat that I need for the day and take off my rear boat buckles and my transom saver. Make sure the boat plug is in. I also pump up the fuel bulb so I know the motor will start right away. When I am ready to back my bunk trailer down the ramp I stop once the boat is half way in the water. Then I get out and loosen my winch rope about four feet and take off the safety chain. I get back into my truck and back the boat in until it starts to float off. I then get into the boat and drive it to the dock and then park my truck. It goes quite fast after you have done it a few times. When I am ready to leave I back the trailer in and go get the boat. I drive in on until it sticks and then crank it on. Also I think it is a good idea to have the motor tilted up somewhat when backing in and pulling out of the ramp. Just something to think about so you don't hit the skeg.

Originally Posted By: jaxstas
Glad someone started this post. I've got a 16.5ft (about 80inch wide) fiberglass boat that will easily way a ton, and I also will be loading/unloading myself occasionally. One thing is I have rollers and most of the posts have referred to bunks. It seems a lot of the advice so far would work either way, but if anybody can add any other insight I'd appreciate it.

I used to have a Sylvan Backtroller Select that sat on a roller trailer. Practice, practice, practice. When you're done practicing, practice some more.

I figured out what rollers I needed in the water in order to optimize my loading efficiency. I didn't have guide-ons. But didn't have much trouble loading my boat.

One problem that did make it a little difficult was the smooth rollers. If you have the rollers that are, do I dare say "ribbed", they'll have a little more grab on the hull of your boat to guide it on the trailer better.

The best advice I can give is "take your time". If you get in a hurry we will get to read about it later in the year when the "Guess What I Saw On The Ramp ThisWeekend" threads start. Another suggestion that I didn't see previously is bring your boots. Knee high boots will allow you to get into the water to guide the boat onto the trailer with the "launching rope". You can then attached the winch strap and crank it on. The launching rope should be about twice as long as the boat trailer. I made mine with some 5/8 heavy nylon twisted rope and some hardware I bought at Menards. I think the thick rope it is easier to on hang onto.

Originally Posted By: LEECH21
Do any of you guys use those bumpers to protect your boat? Just wondering if that would be a worthwhile investment.

the bumpers might be a good idea as not all docks at the accesses have a rubber bumper on them and I've seen many boats going down the road with battle scars from the docks on a windy day.

I prefer to take better care of my equipment than that and bumpers are a minimal investment.

I know powerloading is a hot topic, but it's not illegal where I fish, so I do it.

I ease my boat all the way up onto the trailer, then I leave it in gear (about 2500 rpms) so it does not roll back off the trailer. I then quickly walk up and winch it tight and hook the safety chain (takes about 10 seconds). After that I shut the engine down, trim it all the way up, jump in my truck and tug it out.

it's not illegal in alot of areas. But looking at some accesses where it has become second nature, it's clear to see there needs to be something done.

It's not that power loading is necessarily wrong. I've done it myself. But it doesn't take much to start washing out an access.

Let's not get on the power loading thing.

I agree about the boat guides. I have a 175 sportfish and that thing can really catch the wind. I have heard about attatching the launch rope to the back of the trailer so when she floats off pull forward so you can grab the rope and guid it to the dock. My only concern is I have not beached this craft and would like to not to. With rollers it is a tricky thing. She has to be tight till it's in the water otherwise she's a gonna take off on ya. 3800 lbs is no joke if you are not in controll.

Practice, practice and then some more. My buddy also showed me why it is not a good idea to wrap the rope around your wrist. OUCH!! Maybe have someone with while you practice, just in case..

Originally Posted By: Rost
I know powerloading is a hot topic, but it's not illegal where I fish, so I do it.

I ease my boat all the way up onto the trailer, then I leave it in gear (about 2500 rpms) so it does not roll back off the trailer. I then quickly walk up and winch it tight and hook the safety chain (takes about 10 seconds). After that I shut the engine down, trim it all the way up, jump in my truck and tug it out.

This is what I do also. Having boat guides of some kind is the key. With these, it is easy to get the boat centered on the trailer even with a strong side wind blowing. You don't need to power the boat enough to dig a hole in the lake, just enough to get the boat on the trailer.

How far to back the trailer into the water can only be learned from practice. Too far and your boat may not be centered on the trailer. Not far enough and you will not be able to get the boat far enough on the trailer to easily winch it up.

The how far to back the trailer has been interesting for me. It took a while but I finally learned it's easiest for me to load the boat, rather quickly, if the back rollers are just under the water line. At this depth, I can easily coast my old boat right up the trailer, and it's normally centered quite well.

A couple tips that I have picked up:

-Get everything ready before you drop it into the water. I go through a mental checklist (5 things) before backing it up: unhook trailer lights, remove winch straps, verify boat plug, prime fuel bulb, and attach bow/stern ropes. Always remember the parking brake when you get out of the truck!

-Install 2-3 trailer walk plates (search cabelas). The morning my first daughter was born I got a really nasty gash and almost broke my leg from walking on the wet trailer frame. I joke with my wife about how traumatic that morning was.

-Use some boat cushions to protect your boat from the dock while you are parking the truck. Using both a bow and stern rope to tie off your boat will assure it stays right where it's supposed to. In a 30-40 mph wind I pulled up my boat in 1/4 the time that a group of guys did that were ahead of me. Trick is to use both ropes to guide the boat back onto the trailer.

-If you have rollers, back up the empty trailer only until the first set of rollers gets wet. Go too far and it's very hard to get it on level. Step out on your walk plates, hook up the winch, and pull it straight up.

-Be thinking clearly when you pull up also. Most of all don't forget to raise your outboard. I've seen a few skegs dragged at the launch and that's not a pretty sight.

You made some great points there. It can sometimes be difficult for some folks who don't fish and boat very often to get used to a routine at launches. Especially when with young children or friends who really don't have a clue. Help them out when it is logical to do so and we all will have a better experience on the water! Good post.

As people have said, make sure you have everything ready to go before launching. Fasten your tie down rope to the front eyelit on your boat and have it easily reachable. Put your bumpers on the right side of your boat (if you are looking from the tiller to the front of the boat). I think the right side is best because after you put your boat in the water, you can swing it to the other side of the launch so the next guy can get started while you are parking. Tie up your boat on the unused side of the dock with the bumpers between your boat and the dock and your motor pointed towards the lake.

One quick, cheap, and easy thing that can really help is to make some spacers/boat guides.

I used three pieces of 2x4 cut into a [ shape. I slip one of these over the side bunk (not the bunks the boat sits on but the ones that extend up along the sides of the trailer).

If you make your guide/spacer the right size, it'll help you center the boat when loading. Just slide it over the bunk before you go to reload your boat. Make sure to put it on the side that the wind is blowing your boat against, otherwise you will be too far to that side when you pull your boat out.

Hope that helps.

A easy spot to gauge how deep you need to back it in every time is height of water ontop the step on the trailer fender. Typically for me on a roller trailer this is just to the point that the step is just covered with water.

Take your time, practice, practice, practice & be sure to load and unload all your gear in a parking spot - somewhere other than on the launch.

Good luck!

marine_man

Wow!!!

Thanks guys for all the tips. They are all really, really helpful! They all make perfect sense to me. I now have to add a few things to buy before I put her in the water for the first time.

One thing though, unhooking the trailer lights before unloading? I have never heard of that. Can you wreck your lights if the connection is submerged?