• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN DNR ATV Safety Training

Dave S

It's that time of year again when we need to start preparing for the upcoming riding season.

One of those things is ensuring our kids receive the proper training prior to hitting the trails.

MN DNR ATV SAFETY TRAINING CLASSES

Click on the above link and scroll down to see a list of currently scheduled classes. As you will note, there is a wealth of classes by the end of April.

I strongly encourage anyone who has a child age 11 or older and plans on riding this spring to enroll them into one of these classes. Students who are 11 years of age when they complete the Safety Course will receive their certification on their 12th birthday. All other laws in regards to age and displacement limits must be followed. Age 11 must still ride machines 90cc or less on public lands/frozen waters until they reach age 12.

Students under the age of 16 must complete the home study CD-ROM prior to entering the class.

Those age 16 or older only need to complete the home study CD-ROM and mail the results into the MN DNR office in Little Falls, MN.

Anyone born on or after July 31st, 1987 must be certified in order to ride an ATV on public lands or frozen waters.

Anyone born on or after July 1st, 1987 must be certified in order to ride an ATV on public lands or frozen waters.

What? Are you saying that everyone that was born after 87 needs to take this course? Was this always the case?

Also what is the link or phone # to request a copy of the cd?

Does anyone know if this applies to "out of staters"? I don't see where it says that it applies to residents only or am I missing something somewhere?

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Anyone born on or after July 31st, 1987 must be certified in order to ride an ATV on public lands or frozen waters.

What? Are you saying that everyone that was born after 87 needs to take this course? Was this always the case?

Also what is the link or phone # to request a copy of the cd?

I had one gentleman bring his son from Brandon SD to go through the course so they could ride up by Walker the following weekend. Now that is committment. I let him know how much I appreciated him ensuring his son was certified.

I do believe the requirements are for anyone who rides in MN. We do accept safety training from other states such as Michigan, Wisconsin, South and North Dakota. Many of the programs that I ahve reviewed online in these states are very close to what the MN DNR offers.

For quick reference:

1-888-MINN-DNR to order the CD_ROM.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes

This has been the case since the program began. Snowmobiles go back to Dec. 31st of 1976.

Please note that I changed the date to July 1st, 1987.

I wish they would make this all the same between FAS, Snowmobile Safety, ATV's, and watercraft.

It sure would make remembering the dates a lot easier.

"I do believe the requirements are for anyone who rides in MN. We do accept safety training from other states such as Michigan, Wisconsin, South and North Dakota. Many of the programs that I ahve reviewed online in these states are very close to what the MN DNR offers."

Lep, I know in Wisconsin they have you follow your home state laws for requirements. Is this what MN does as well?

Yes, there is a reciprocal agreement between some states but you should always check each states regualtions if you plan to ride there since laws change quite often.

If I'm not mistaken, Idaho is one state that requires you to go through their training program.

What about safety training after buying a new machine? I get calls twice a week after buying a Sportsman last year. Anyone know anything about this and why they are so persistent? Do they get federal money for this or what?

I know they pay $100 for the day, but I can't afford spending $40 for fuel to get there and back and miss a day of work.

that training is through ASI which is a "conglomeration" of the CPSC and the manufacturers and highly influenced by lawyers.

Their training strictly adhere's to the warning labels and age requirements on the labels.

Another note is their training IS NOT valid in order to ride on MN public lands/frozen waters.

Thanks LEP7MM.

I took the ATV safety test back in 91 or 92 when I was about 12. I had a card for Certification, but the bard wore out and eventually got lost. Is there any record of this? If so, where can I find it?

Your old enough that you would be required to carry it. But if you do want a copy, contact the DNR office in Little Falls and they'll mail a new one out for a small fee.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Thanks LEP7MM.

I took the ATV safety test back in 91 or 92 when I was about 12. I had a card for Certification, but the bard wore out and eventually got lost. Is there any record of this? If so, where can I find it?

... Don't need it unless you were born after 1987 per DNR regs.

Yeah, I know, but who knows what law they will pass next. Maybe need it for other states or something. I took the test, passed, got certified, and no one ever asked me for proof when riding when I was younger.

Just curious really.

Lep, or any other ATV instructor, Could you tell me which version of the CD is now valid? I have a version 1 but my daughter didn't fit the machine last season. Now she does, do I need to get a later CD? Thanks, Phred52

You have version 1? I had them mail me a cd in March and it is version .08

Good one Scott.

There have been some changes in the latest revisions. The DNR is pretty quick about getting the CD's out ASAP. A call today and you should have the new CD by Monday at the latest.

As of now, I'm sorry to say that my schedule is booked now until the snow flies and won't be able to host another course until next spring. If Winter starts out kind of mild and no snow until late December, I may schedule a winter time course.

I'll definitely post back when I schedule another one.

It will be tough to find a course this winter. The courses require pounding in stakes for the signs in the riding component. Tough to do now with the ground frozen.

It doesn't mean that it can't be done. As soon as the snow starts to melt in the spring, there will be a large number of courses offered.