• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

german shorthair

sheephead24

I have a GSP mix, it's mom was a purebred GSP. I've hunted with mom before.

Very excellent upland dogs. Some of them can be high strung (as can any dog) so be prepared for that. I find them to be very intellingent dogs. As an added bonus, most GSP's I know are about the funniest things I've ever seen and could easily win the comedian of the year award. Good natured and friendly.

My GSP mix is both a water and upland dog. You can train any dog to be a water or upland dog. Some breeds are more "Natural" at water or upland hunting. Most GSP's I know of are not water dogs, though. My advice, for what it's worth, is go for it if you want a dog that will do both. Be careful, however, as GSP's don't have the guard hair that say, a lab, has. It may be a good idea to get it a neopreme vest so it doesn't get cold when the mercury starts dropping in the fall.

My experiences with GSP's have been nothing but good. If you choose to get one the odds are in your favor that you will have a good natured dog that hunts well and is quite trainable.

Originally Posted By: sheephead24
Does anyone have any input on a german shorthair? Im looking for a waterfoul and upland dog, I always thought they were only upland dogs, but recently heard they were waterfoul dogs, is this true?

Ive owned GSP's and some do not like water.

But others love it ive seen GSP's lead in water event's like at game fair. But GSP'S would not with stand the cold that a Lab or Chessie can.

Maybe a Draathaar German wired haired pointer would be better suited?

The Germans always trained for a versatile dog with the GSP's they had to do it all, Fur Feather Water etc...

NAVHDA is a group that believes in versatile training of Pointers.

NAVHDA.org

My biggest concern with the German Shorthair would be cold water. They do not have the coat of a German Wirehaired Pointer or a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Both considered versitle breeds.

Sounds like you are looking for a versitle dog so I agree that NAVHDA would be a good place to look. Might be worth your time to check out the testing that will take place beginning in May. As an example my Griffon will be taking her Natural Ability test on May 17 near Milaca. The MN chapter of NAVHDA is well represented. I have worked with both German Wirehair's and Griffons and they are both excellent upland game and waterfoul hunting dogs. They both love water and have the coat to hunt ducks right up to freeze up and they hunt pheasants and grouse when it well below zero.

I hope this helps....

thanks for the info, but im not too worried about the cold water, I hunt pheasants 80 percent and ducks 20 percent of the time. and when I hunt ducks, im what they call a puddle jumper, I have a couple water holes I hit each day for 10 min. each and im gone so the dog wouldnt be exposed to the cold water long, and towards the end of duck season im hunting roosters anyways. would a shorthair be a good choice in that situation?

I hunted with a guide one time with a GSP... what an absolutely amazing dog that was. Out of the 27 birds we shot that dog retrieved 26, my 8 month old lab only was to beat him to one bird. They run like a mule deer at full spead the entire hunt. I would guess that dog was running at 30-40 miles an hour the whole time. After witnessing that if all I did was pheasent hunt without a doubt a GSP would be my first choice. The dog also loved the water so im sure warm weather duck hunting it would have done just fine.

GSPs are good dogs and there are lots of good ones around. Seems like they would fit fine with they type of hunting you would like to do too. To me a rough haired breed sounds like a better fit. Of course I'm biased.

BUT - If you do not take the time to check out a couple of the wirehaired breeds - among others - your only cheating yourself. Going to that NAVHDA test would be a perfect thing to do. You will see as many different GSPs there as you will GWPs, DDs or WPGs. and probable a couple of breads (PPs, SPs, SMs, etc.) you may never have heard of. Best of all you'd meet a ton of people who really love/know dogs. These are the types of people who you'll likely want to get a dog from when you are ready to buy anyways.

Just my $.02.

Hi sheephead24,

I think you'll be pleased with a GSP they can be great versatile dogs, but you want to make sure you get one from a versatile breeder like they mentioned above. NAVHDA is a great start for your search of a versatile GSP Breeder. If you can't make the NA test on May 17th. I would welcome you to come & visit our chapter training days. There are a few options for you to do that.

We train weekly out at Major Ave. Hunt Club in Glencoe on Thursday nights starting April 17th at 5pm until dark thru the month of June. There most of the versatile breeds are represented for you to evaluate if you'd like. We have GSP's, GWP's, WPG's, Visla's, SM Munsterlanders, Pointers, & Pudel Pointers. Plus this location is closer to your home. So if your interested just come out & say "Hi" and we would be more than happy to have you out & stroll along with us in the field so you can see what each breed has to offer. If you want to see Duck work it is usually a week or two later after we all get our ducks ordered up for training on the first week, plus this year I think there will still be ice on the ponds the first week. But after the ice breaks there is nothing holding us back from doing water work. No matter what the water temp these dogs love their water work.

Also another good venue would be the Full Test in Hugo,MN on June 7th & 8th at Kelly Farms. At this test you'll be able to witness everything from Puppies taking their Natural Ability Test to Fully trained dogs running in their UPT & UT tests. This test usually has some of the Top Breeders in our area from NAVHDA running their GSP's and other Breeds as well.

Hope this helps you out & if you have any questions I'll try to help the best I can. I'm a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon guy, but know many of the guys running GSP's in our Chapter. Also check out our MNNAVHDA Chapter HSOforum for other dates on events happening throughout the year. Just use google & you'll find us.

Later,

Chris

I have gotten to know Steve Ries of Top Gun Kennel in central Iowa. He is an award winning GSP trainer who has great dogs. Google him or the kennel for contact info. He will answer your questions and if you get a dog from him I am sure you'll be happy.

GSP's are awesome hunters and low maintenance coats

I had 2 and they were some of the best dogs ive seen in there scenting ability and hunting prowess. Take the the time to find out what to look for when looking to buy and ask to see the parents hunt to see there disposition toward there handler.

You want a dog thats willing to learn and be a team player, and the parents are a good example of this.Ask yourself what do you want a big running trial dog line or a foot hunter mild mannered dog. In my experience some dogs are a handful for even the best trainers. Alot of titles behind a dog doesn't always mean the best dog, alot of owners are over dogged. A Good dog breeder will always be honest in there evaluation of what you need and not just putting money in his pocket. Shop around get alot of info? And i agree NAVHDA may be the best place to start. Explain to them what you would like from a dog. Take your time to find the best for you they will be with you along time so pick smart.

Good Luck.

My first hunting dog was a GSP and I went that direction based upon what I was looking for in a hunting dog. As it turned out, she loved the water at least as much or more than most of the "water" dogs. I couldn't keep her out of the water unless there was hunting to do. I ended up losing her way to early to liver failure which we still don't know how it was caused. After losing her I did some soul searching and based upon who and where I was hunting I made the switch to a "long-tail" and now have a young lab that loves to hunt and loves the water just as much. Honest truth is my GSP covered so much ground she infringed on my brother-in-laws flushers and it was his land! (drove him crazy when she would point birds before his labs would even reach them!) Also, GSP's hunt nose high and she didn't worm her way through the high stuff but instead jumped over or around most of it and that was one tired dog after a day of hunting. (In fact I'd sometimes give her a break but I could hear her crying for so long into the field that I almost couldn't keep hunting.)

I definitely would second, third or whatever that you can't hunt a GSP late duck season without a neoprene vest.

Absolutely attend one or all of the NAVHDA events if you can. You will see a bunch of different breeds and you'll see what you have in store for you once you get your dog. There are a couple of breeds that I saw once I started participating in NAVHDA events such as the Wirehaired Grifons and Pudelpointers and Munsterlanders that I'd like to own if ever the right chance were to occur again. Truthfully if I own another versatile dog it will likely be a GSP since I lost mine way too young but there are some other great options out there.

I love my GSP for chasing pheasants as well as an all-around house dog. Since I don't hunt waterfowl I can't comment on how they'd do in those conditions, but my dog is smaller in size with minimal body fat and doesn't take the cold as well as a bigger-built dog could. If you're going to be spending a majority of your time hunting pheasants a GSP may be the better choice. This is where their slender bodies excel...running through cover and thick grass without tiring as quick as a bigger framed dog.

As been said, they are very intelligent and can be trying at times with their go-go attitude and sometimes mischievous ways....well, more than sometimes! I found a bumper sticker once that said "My GSP is smarter than your honor student". grin.gif

Nov2007_007_small.jpg

wow thanks for all the info, that really helps me out. only problem is the owner of the shorthair I wanted was going to hold him for me for 1 day until I could pick him up, she decided to let him go to someone else 2 hours after she said she would hold him, so that [PoorWordUsage] me off. so im still looking. it sounds like a shorthair will be a great dog and just what im looking for, and I would like some more info on NAVHDA, im not even sure what it stands for, but sounds like something I would be really interested in checking out. does anyone have any info?

She'll point anything! J/K. Just had good timing on the camera. She's in a different world with birds around, dead or alive. Funny business is over and it's game time. Take a tail feather out of the closet or wherever when she least expects it and she gets a different look in her eyes. Say "bird" or "rooster" and she's ready to go. Roosters are "Enemy #1" in her mind and she's on a mission to get them all!

sheephead24

I would also suggest checking out a NAVHDA event. I was very impressed with the organization. I Natural Ability tested my NAVHDA registered Griffon and I was very nervous about the whole thing having never done such a thing. Everyone was very welcoming and put me at easy.

Check out their HSOforum - there appears to be 3 chapters in MN. I have had some exposure to the Southern MN Chapter. A great group with a diversity of breeds (ones I had never heard of before).

2 D GILLS:

How old was your Griffon when you put her through the NA test? Is your dog a MN bred dog?

I am putting my NAVHDA registered Griffon through her NA test this coming May.. She will be 14 months old. Looking forward to the test but I too am a bit nervous about it. She is doing very well at this point so it will be interesting.

Are you considering the Utility Test with your Griffon?

Lmitout,

My GSP is the same as yours. He could be playing with a tennis ball and if I say "Where's the bird?" he drops the ball and gives me that look like "are you serious? We're hunting? Yahoo!!!!!!!" and off he goes looking for pheasants or grouse or whatever in the back yard. When he finds a bird you can't get him to budge off his point until the bird flies.

I also do some duck hunting and have used him to break ice to retrieve ducks. I use a neoprene vest as he does get cold but he just loves to hunt anythig with me.

Very versatile, friendly, challenging but willing to learn, smart and then dumb as a box of rocks, but always a great hunter.