• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Worth Fixing?

jjohnson5150

I have a 1991 Artic Cat EXT 550 w/4,000 miles. The steel shaft connecting the steering rod & ski broke this weekend while in use. This has been a good sled for me. I'd like to fix it, but don't want to dump more money into than what it's worth. Has anyone had similar repairs? If so, would it be as simple as welding it or will this be a perm weak spot. I'd appreciate opinions on this.

[image]http://images.costcophotocenter.com/232323232%7Ffp4323%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E%3B83%3E543%[/image]

Can't imagine it couldn't be welded. Might need to add a piece of steel alongside to reinforce it. A good welding shop or even a truck repair shop or body shop could probably take care of it. Shouldn't cost very much.

If I'm seeing that right, its the lower A-arm that is snapped in half right at the shock mount.

You could probably take it off, weld it, and clean it up but I think you'll always have a weak area at that spot. There is a lot of stress placed on the arm at the lower shock connection.

Since we're towards the end of winter, keep an eye on HSOList for a used lower A-Arm for your sled (91 EXT 550). By the way... I have the same sled! ;\) There are plenty of used A-arms on there right now but didn't notice one for this particular model. Should be able to get it pretty cheap.

Cat Part # is 0703-167 and is available new from Cat for $128.46. Probably get it used on HSOList for $20-30.

Maybe I'm the oddball, and its just my opinion, but trying to patch or repair a broken component that is subject to different loads and stresses, and is highly involved in the directional control of the sled, just isnt a real great idea. Even knowing how to weld, I wouldn't even consider welding a front end geometry component. Please replace it for your own safety, and that of others on the trail with you. You'll never regret doing it right! \:\(