• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

some people!!!!!!!!!

BK19

i tell you i just came home today and went in the house and was talking to the wife andshe dashed outside and came in and said someone hit blacky (our 7 month old black lab ) and they just took off we didnt see anyone but just had heard our other dog barking man this [PoorWordUsage]'s me our house is right next to the road in the country and they (cowards)didnt even have the decency to stop and say they hit him, he just layed there in a pool of blood, not moving so i took him by the house and covered him with a blanket the wife went to town and when she came back she said that blacky was outside wagging his tail i couldnt belive it,so i brought him in the house and he is doing great walking around and everything some people have no conscience

The person was probably scared to stop because you never know what will happen in a situation like that. What would you have said to him/her? Would you have went off on them or calmly said it's okay I know it was an accident? Would you have wanted them to pay for vet bills? Would you have felt the same if it was a pet cat? Would it have made you feel better knowing who hit your dog?

I am really glad you dog is alright!!!!!

I'm just curious about situation and your thoughts.

Keep a close eye on your dogs behavior if you didn't take him to the vet. Internal bleeding and organ damage are a real possibility here. Good luck!

I feel for you, but there is a guy out there somewhere who could write a note saying something like; "some people don't have the courtesy to keep their dog under control. The dog doesn't know any better, and it's not my fault this black dog runs out into the darkened street. I bet the danged owner would have said that this was somehow my fault, and that I had to pay the bills for his mistake (or worse, maybe gotten emotional and violent), so I split".

Not saying it's right, but I could see it that way also.......

yeah ok so if it would have been one of my kids when they were younger it would have been alright for the perp to take off cause they were scared i dont think so you know how fast kids and dogs can leave your sight it only takes a second but yes he is fine eating jumping,going outside to you know well thanks for "caring" I THINK? \:\)

Bk...

Glad to hear Blackie is doing well... do keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't ned a trip to the vet.

I do agree that if you hit a dog, it would be nice to stop and let the owners know. You could also call the police to get them to the scene right away, that way you don't have to worry about emotions. But I do feel you are obligated to stop and try and find the owner, especially to find out the status of the dog. You don't need a dog trying to run around with a broken leg or severe lacerations and the owner has no idea.

I realize that dogs can get away from you in the blink of an eye, ad I hope this was a rare occurrance for him to be in the street so this event does not play out again with a different ending. I hope Blackie continues on the road of mending and all is well for both of you in the future.

Good Luck!

Ken

Glad to hear the pup is doing OK. I agree that they should have stopped and tried to find the owner. It may not be a pleasant conversation, but if you hit a families dog that you'd better be an adult about the situation and do your best to make it right. I disagree with the couple replies stating the driver could be just as upset etc. That's bull, most of us dog owners treat and love our dog just like other members of our family. They are part of our families. If a kid ran out and got hit should the driver still be ticked that someone let their kid get into that situation. If the driver was paying attention then it could have probably been avoided. Too much cell phone use while driving these days to distract somebody. When I approach a dog on the side of the road I slow way down and give as much room as I can because the dog doesn't know any better. Look after your pup and hopefully blackie will be OK.

It goes both ways... If I hit a dog I would try to find the owner... But I also curse the owners of dogs that dont have their dogs trained to leave cars alone, or dont have a fenced in yard or dont keep their dogs in a kennel. If your dog gets hit on a public road I believe it is your fault. Granted a dog is a dog and still may do the unexpected. But, If you dont have the proper tools in place what do you expect to happen. Im glad to hear your dog is alright. Hopefully it learned a lesson.

Originally Posted By: SDbowhunter
It goes both ways... If I hit a dog I would try to find the owner... But I also curse the owners of dogs that dont have their dogs trained to leave cars alone, or dont have a fenced in yard or dont keep their dogs in a kennel. If your dog gets hit on a public road I believe it is your fault. Granted a dog is a dog and still may do the unexpected. But, If you dont have the proper tools in place what do you expect to happen. Im glad to hear your dog is alright. Hopefully it learned a lesson.

well just so you know the pup was laying in our driveway and the tracks swerved right in there so some on did this on purpose i will stick to my feelings about this pup was in the vet and just basically had a bruised lung and diaphram so he is on some meds lesson learned is that some people dont give a [PoorWordUsage]

If someone swerved and did this on purpose, why would you expect someone like that to stop?? I'm glad your dog's okay. I lean towards most of the other posts though. Dog's and road aren't a good combination. I've gotten lucky in the past, but have made changes to make sure chances of something like this are minimized.

If you would have said it was hit in the driveway right away this would have been a whole lot easier. The guy who hit your dog ON PURPOSE needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. A dog on the road is a whole different matter.

Originally Posted By: BK19
well just so you know the pup was laying in our driveway and the tracks swerved right in there so some on did this on purpose i will stick to my feelings about this pup was in the vet and just basically had a bruised lung and diaphram so he is on some meds lesson learned is that some people dont give a [PoorWordUsage]

Ummmm..... this fact is a GIANT omission from your original post. If your dog was under control and/or on your property, and someone maliciously swerved onto your property as you say, then clearly that takes on a whole new spin. My sympathies were always with you on the situation. I own multiple dogs myself and love them dearly, but if there is a loose, wandering country dawg that gets hit on the road, I find it very difficult to blame the driver in any way. Many people see a dog wandering unattended out in the sticks as being "unwanted" or feral, and I'd hardly fault them for that mind set. As you know, responsible pet owners do everything possible to contain or keep their pets safe from harm. It's the owners responsibility, not the poor dog's. If it's feral, then hitting the dog with the car is pretty much the equivalent to hitting a raccoon with a car. Are you going to pull over and see if the coon is OK?

Well that is a differnt story... Again I am glad your dog is okay. It makes me sick everytime I see a dead dog on the side of the road. If those people intentially tried to hit your dog then karma will come back to bite em.

I can fully understand your situation. I had a black lab that was my best friend growing up. We lived on a farm and every once in a while I would let the dog out to run for an hour or so. He was struck and killed by a car and I managed to be just calling for him when he was struck. The person was there when I got to him. Apologised to no end, but I knew it was my fault. There are so many what ifs that have gone through my head since that day and all I know is I could have prevented it. My best advice is to learn from this situation and don't allow it to happen again.

If they swerved to hit your dog thats a whole new story. Also being you did not see it they could have been trying to swerve and miss the dog. I have a question. How did your undergroud fence fail? Mine works OUTSTANDING. Its your dog and its up to YOU to make sure he does not get out in the road. I also would NOT equate a dog to a child! I would die for one of my kids but not my dog and she is my sweetheart! Its not all on the guy who hit it but also you as well! Who knows what happens if you stop and tell them. You may get sued or shot!

well we didnt notice the tracks until later on but whatever I THOUGHT THIS SITE WAS A FAMILY OF SORTS BUT I GUESS NOT I FIGURED FAMILY WOULD SHOW SUPPORT NOT LAY THE BLAME ON ME WHO DID NOT DO ANY WRONG

Most important, I'm glad your Blackie is okay. Sorry to see you're so mad. I'm not sure what you expected, but I think most of us just don't want it to happen again, to you or anyone. Sometimes advice / constructive critism is hard to take. Most of it was well meant (in the best interest of your / other dog) though, IMO.

Well i will say this. How do you know your dog was laying in the driveway if you did not see it? Also why would you let your dog that close to a busy road? you cant get just swerve up a driveway. And yes some fault is yours if the dog gets out and on the road. Dont get me wrong i am VERY happy your dog is alright!! I love my dog and would be crushed if she got hit. I would however shoulder some of the blame if she was outside on the road. Thats my fault. Yes it only takes a second and its not intentional but thats an accident and they do happen. As dog owners we cant just let our dogs run free. things like this happen if we do. Again i say this not to put you down but there is a lesson here for all of us.

If you measure from the centerline of the road 32' is where your yard legally begins. Your dog was on public property and there for you are responsible for any damages your property (dog) makes to vehicles traveling in the legal right of way. You are lucky that the driver didn't stop and want you to buff the bumper of his truck for scuffing it with you dogs collar. Keep track of your dog and the problem is solved. You were obviously letting the dog run free with no yard training so it is your fault. What if the guy swerved to miss your dog and crashed into a pole or rolled over? Yes you would be responsible. The whole comparing the dog to a kid is screwed up. Canines are animals nothing more than a commodity or a tool, kids are not. A dog can be bought and sold on the free market, kids are not. Then you bring up Rape? Just drop it, your neglect almost got your dog killed, take it as a lesson, and make some corections to YOUR behavior.

CW

I didn't think anyone was that harsh. I know if my bud was hit it would be hard to hear everything, but going on the information that was provided, I thought people were giving fair comments. I agree that the rape comment needs to be edited out. Not even close to the same thing. I think this is a family of sorts. I have received tons of great information and entertainment from this site. Do I agree with what everyone says all the time? No, but that doesn't make them wrong. Sometimes you just need to step back, take a deep breath, and look at the big picture. Glad your dog is doing good. Hope you still add your input to the site.

Bk, i wouldn't let some of these guys get to you. There are a lot of people that just have to be right. They have to play devil's advocate for some reason. It's easy to sit in the comfort of their homes and type freely knowing there are no ramifications to what they say on here. Had they been face to face with you when this happened I am sure they would have tried to be more supportive and less critical.

The guys dog gets hit, and half the people bash this guy due to multiple assumptions made on their part. Not cool, people!

CW642 and Kgper4, if i want to compare my dog to that of a child then what gives you the right to say that is wrong? Isn't telling people what to think and feel called Communism? One person may view their dog as a tool or a commodity as you put it, but don't try to make every dog owner feel the way you do. Bunch of B S . I am actually disgusted with some of these peoples comments.

Mark Twain once wrote: "Don't agrue with an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly, people may get confused."

I don't even know what to say. This one will be getting closed or deleted real soon.

The death of personal responsibility on display for all to see.

To compare dogs to children means you either don't have one or both; or you just don't get it.... It's exactly how animal rights activists rationalize fire-bombing Labs.

People really do feel for the guy, and his dog and have said as much, but to not spread responsibility partially to the owner would be inconsistent with the kind of folks we've got here. Men and women who are absolutely responsible for their actions and the actions of that which is under their custody.

Tough to be disgusted with opinions.

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Namakan
Bk, i wouldn't let some of these guys get to you. There are a lot of people that just have to be right.

To lighten things up here....and not directed towards any particular thoughts on this subject other than the quote above!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

duty_calls.png

I hate shutting down threads, I really do, but if there isn't going to be anything constructive said or added to this post then I might have to, its starting to get personal. Let's see if I can sum this up.

First and foremost I think me and everyone on here is glad to hear that your dog is OK. I had a dog hit by a car when I was a kid and it was terrible.

No one saw what happened, so its impossible to say what should or could have been done to prevent, stop or otherwise change the outcome of a near tragedy.

Yes it would be nice if someone knew that they hit your dog to at least try and see if there was someone around to get the dog help, but lets face it some people don't like animals, and really don't care one way or the other.

I think it is fair to point out that MOST times a dog gets hit by a car, it is the dog owners responsibility, not the drivers. If they swerved then obviously you can't expect them to offer help. They have some other issues going on. Hopefully this post will be an lesson for all that have read it, to not leave dogs unattended. I know that they do get out of site and even the best trained dogs sometimes let temptation get the best of them.

Hopefully this is the last dog vs. car thread we have to read for a while.