• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lucky Dog

Juneau4

I,m just wondering what others think no right no wrong answer.

With the lucky dog rule the way it is that only drivers 1 lap down can get back on the lead lap how many good cars are going to get trapped 2 or more laps down with virtually no way possible to get back on the lead lap again. Probably do to a cut tire. This is Bristol. I think the rule should be changed so the lead car on whatever lap down should be allowed to move up 1 lap. Richard Petty was once down 7 laps under the old rule and came back to win.

That is probably why the rule is the way it is. If you get more than two laps down, there is not much chance you will be able to come back from it. It is just as the rule states, Lucky. I think it is fine the way it is.

I don't like seeing a guy who is running bad, or slides up into a wall and cuts a tire, come back and finish at the top. Its just not right, it wasn't his day, so it shouldn't be his day. The guy that runs flawless should be allowed to do so.

I have no problem with the "lucky dog" rule simply because it was mainly created out of safety concerns about cars racing back to the start / finish line after a caution flag was raised.

That being said, I do wish that the lap down cars were not allowed to restart up front in the inside lane. I would much prefer to see a single / double file restart in the order of which you are currently running.

That way on a restart the lead cars can all fight for positions and the lead without having to deal with the lap down cars that always seem to get in the way, and the lap down cars can race amongst themselves more in the back of the pack for the lucky dog position.

It just seems so obvious to me that it would make the racing more exciting. I hate seeing the leader jump out to a 4-5 car length lead on restarts because the 2nd and 3rd place cars get stuck behind a lap down car.

I think I would agree with Juneau here..

If a driver is 2 or more laps down, but can get his car to the front of all lap-down cars no matter how many laps he is down, he should get the pass. That means the car is good enough to move up, but he did it by racing there.

As for having issues and coming back, due to the rule, I think it is quite rare for a car/team to do that with any real consistent success.

Steve

Personally I would like to see a car a lap down to stay a lap down unless they can go around the track and catch the leader. No free pass to the lead lap.

On restarts, I would also like to see all the lap down cars to the back, period.

I don't really like the lap cars starting up front either, and certainly not in the bottom lane which in most cases is the preferred lane. If they want them doubled up at least give the lead lap cars the preferred lane.

As for the lucky dog rule, I really think it was necessary for safety purposes to stop that racing back to the caution. That deal with DJ parked pretty much sideways at Martinsville and cars splitting him to get back to the caution was bad. It was also a joke as the leader played games with racing some guys and not others back to the line. This is no less lame than that and MUCH safer.

good comments, I agree with most. No starting in front of lead cars, earn your lap back, and don't give them the low row. all part of the political side of racing in my opinion.

OK. I like the lucky dog. It may not be as exciting, but it is fair, and much safer. As far as the laped cars on the restart, it gives them a chance to get their laps back if only for a moment, and there is no passing on the left on the restart anyway, so...