• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many holes can your auger drill?

nd_limit_keeper

Whew...I don't know if I've ever physically counted how many holes my auger can drill per tank. I've got a 10" XL-3000 Strikemaster. When trolling the ice, I go until my arms are dead...Fish a bit. If not action, go until my arms are killing again..Keep repeating. Don't think I've ever killed through a tank of gas a day or weekend for that matter. When I was up on URL last year, I went all weekend without filling up and I drilled a lot of holes, in search of the big slabbies.

Normally, before I head to the ice, I check the fuel level on my auger and usually add it if looks to be ½ full (or ½ empty however you want to look at it). It's much easier doing this in the comfort of my garage verse the ice....

Bring on the late ice...I'm ready!

No idea, but last Sunday I punched 6 holes which was enough to get a great meal of fish. cool.gif

With the ice thickness we have right now (30"+/-) I'd estimate I could get 60 holes or so drilled on a tank. Got a 15yr old 10" Lazermag with single blade. Never drilled that many holes in a day, but have drilled 25 - 30 in a day and the tank was about 1/2 gone.

I punched about 60 holes the other day with my Strikemaster in 42" of ice and only went through about 1/3 to 1/2 tank of gas. I only had a little more than 1/2 tank to start and had enough for 10-15 more holes when I was done. Arms got wore out before the tank did this time.

3yrs ago I cut hole for the brainerd fishing extravaganza. We used 2 ppl per auger and cut holes from 8-2 and only used a tank and a half on a strikemaster 8in. I was impressed on how many you can get.Everyone out there cut around 15000 holes, that was around 20 augers going so that would be 750 holes per auger and at a tank and a half it would be around 500 holes per tank.

I helped cut holes for the Perch fishing contest on Bemidji a couple weeks ago.. Using a 6" strike master we drilled in the neighborhood if 175-200 holes per auger full of gas. And tore the transmissions out of 3 or 4 of the 6 augers with only 6" bits.

wow, Bemidjifisher, that's nuts! I've heard that strikmasters' customer service is top notch. How much do you think it's going to cost to get those replaced, and who's forking over the dough? Or are the augers just toast?

Never counted but will all the ice we have up here now I doubt I get 100 holes on a tank. Maybe but it would be close.

All I know is I have done a ton more hole cutting this past couple years than I ever did before. (Got a Nils)

Im on my 4th can of gas and Im running a 1.5 gallon can. 6 gallons is a lot of gas so I have no idea how many holes but its a ton.

I actually enjoy cutting holes now because its so easy with the Nils. With my old auger I didnt want to do more than 20 at a time. The searching is getting to be almsot as much fun as the catching.