• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Improving speed of power auger?

mr_jman

I am borrowing my dads Strikemaster Mag 2000 and for some reason it seems like it only turns at about half the speed it should be. I can still cut a hole but my Mag III auger would spin at least 2x faster than this is. Are there any settings on it that can be adjusted to get it to turn faster? The auger will start great but I just don't think I'm getting the full power out of it.

Grand Dads suggestion is top notch. Check those things out first.

Is it running really boggy (too rich) ? If so, You might want to lean it out a bit to see if that does anything to improve the rotation. It might be that the clutch is slipping... But if it is cutting holes, just more slowly, then it probably isn't the clutch.

My guess is that the throttle cable is loose and won't let you get to Wide Open Throttle...

I've done a few things to my SM Mag2000, I'm sure none of them are sanctioned by SM. It is one of the newer ones with plastic handles and the De-compression button. I noticed there was a physical stop for the thumb throttle molded into the handle that restricts top end. I also noticed, once I slid the black plastic sleeve back on the throttle linkage, that there are a couple of positions (holes) for the throttle linkage from the carb to attach to the thumb throttle. After you look at yours I'm sure you'll see what I'm getting at, and what I did to get more throttle room and therefore more RPMs.

I also popped a 2 extra 1/4" holes in my muffler to let her breath better, and switched to Amsoil mixed at 80/1. She's a real screamer now, and deafening in a perm house. It does start and idle much better, barely slows down at all in 30+" of ice, and has more torque to punch through the last bit of the hole without any bog down. I'm not telling anyone to do this, but it is what I've done, and I've been very happy with the results.

On a side note; I haven't found any such adjustments for the carb on this, and I have looked EVERYWHERE on it. I'd like to play around with the settings, but I don't think there is any adjusting to do (no screws). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Your mileage may vary......

Start of season..I've done EXACTLY what McGurk did to my 2 year old Lazer Mag! Except I only enlarged hole in muffler to 1/2"...and use Amsoil at 100/1.... my throttle cable was in center hole on black connector..moving it to end made very noticeable difference.

Like his mag...no bogging and screams...drills fast enough to where other fisherman usually take notice..

Great minds cool.gif

Looks like danwilliams is another satisfied customer. The other thing to think about is the idle speed, and mine was fine after the linkage move. Pay attention to it, though, and there is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the carb for that. Before the adjustment it would sit on the screw for about a quarter of the throttle travel, where as now it is just barely sitting on there and I have instant throttle response.

I love how my auger runs and drills, now, and I hope longevity isn't a problem. But, I'm always happy while I'm using it (which we all know is what's really important), and I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it. I also bought a lazermag auger so I have both a chipper for the perm and a shaver for the remaining 98% of the holes I drill. I love the lazer but you gotta have a chipper for the perm.

Hey dan, ever think of slapping on a straight pipe or even a custom expansion chamber exhaust and finding a different carb for it? Now THAT would be a hoot!

McGurk.....I figure drilling out the exhaust hole to 1/2 " is more than enough...wish we could set the richness on carb..

My lil Bro bought a new auger this winter..I convinced him to buy a chipper blade so's he could open old holes...If we're fishin together i drill holes with mine anyway...

Btw...didn't we meet at portable mod get together in Rogers a couple years ago? Think I remember you....I was guy that picked up Hoverman's Clam Pro from him...he wanted a bigger house so girl friend could fish with him...I wanted a smaller one so wife couldn't...... \:D

I reached underneath and pulled the thing to full throttle, and the auger will run very fast but I cant hold onto it and stick my hand under there the whole time.

My question is how do I get it to go to full throttle when I squeeze the lever the auger only gets to about half throttle. I also moved the throttle cable into that second hole by the throttle lever, but it didn't make too much of a difference.

I noticed there is a screw right where the cable runs to the engine. Is this the mixture screw or if i tighten/loosen it will it change my speeds? The screw is not a phillips or a flathead its the star shaped one.

Loose or stretched spring on the throttle linkage? Also, you said cable, and I'm only familiar with the straight wire-type linkage. If I remeber right the older models had a cable throttle. If it is a cable I don't know what to tell you, other than there should be a nut-type adjustment somewhere to take up cable slack. I believe the star (torx) bolt is for the high speed adjustment, but the thumb throttle and auger head handle were the limiting factor for the carb so adjusting the bolt doesn't do much. That bolt is something you should adjust at wide open throttle, while under load, and that is tough to do in the garage. I didn't do much tweaking of the bolt, though, as changing the linkage position did everything I wanted it to.

Oh yeah, Dan; I was at the Port. Mod GTG in Rogers, and I was there to see you and Hoverman make the exchange. Hope it worked out well for you!

It is an older model. I found out that my dad got it in 2000 so it must have been a first or second year auger. I noticed if i can squeeze the throttle lever under the handle bars that i get a little more power. (This is because the wire running to the auger gets tighter and pulls the throttle open further - giving it more speed.) There should be a way to tighten up that wire cord so that it gets to a higher speed quicker. My concern is that Im going to have an auger that is always spinning even when Im not on the throttle.