• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone fly fish for pannies?

blackdog1101

I'm already looking forward to spring to get out my fly rods and cast small streamers, poppers, and nymphs for pannies. I usually fly fish for trout, but with fuel prices so high, I anticipate that I'll be spending a lot more time fly fishing the metro lakes. Fly fishing is a great way to catch pannies. I've got a canoe and an inflatable one-man pontoon, it's a great way to spend a warm spring/summer evening. Anyone else fly fish for pannies?

I have talked about this with my buddy for a year or so now. I really want to get into it. We figure we like to keep some panfish for the dinner plate every now and again, but sometimes it is boring throwing the same old set up out there for fish in the metro.

Is it worth learning the fly fishing skill for this type of fishing? I will not likely use it for trout fishing except for the occasional trip to Montana.

Troy, when the fish are shallow or near the surface it's a wonderful way to catch them. At times I think it's more effective than plunking a jig or spoon near then where they may be spooked. Learn to gently put a fly on the water and you can cast within inches of them. You can buy very decent packages from Cabelas for under $100. No need to spend big bucks

when i was 9 or 10, i learned how to 'flyfish' by fishing for panfish. these are some of my best childhood memories. my favorite 'fly' is a small brown 'muddler' minnow. they are more durable than a popper. my wife and i still pull out the fly rods on a nice summer eve, but it's so hard to put down the musky rod!

i like a 4w 8ft with floating line. i've caught alot of bass on this set up as well. fleet farm used to have a few inexpensive/entry level combos that could get someone started.

this spring i am going to try carp on the fly, i will use heavier gear though. i see them sucking bugs and etc. off the surface alot.

thanks Will, i used both 3 and 4 wt rods. my favorite pole for pannies is a 6ft 3wt, i like the smaller wt just for the extra bend, makes fish seem bigger. im always tryin to get away with the smallest wt i can.

i caught alot of crappies on a fly. i tie my own flies, but i used a minnow streamer. let it sink to where you hardly see it down in the water, the crappie only seem to hit it when you let it sink a little.

i posted about fleet farm earlier, they used to have complete set-ups for well under $50. basically you need a rod, reel, backer line, floating fly line, tippet material and flies. as far as how much practicing goes, that depends on how coordinated you are grin.gif. there are some great books at the library on fly fishing. after that it's just a matter of getting out there and doing it. i became pretty good at it by the end of my first summer. good luck and keep us posted.

I'm not sure I need another hobby, especially outdoor related, but I always thought it would be fun to be wading along the lily pads or bull rushes casting a fly and watching the big ol pannies inhale it. I may have to take a look at it. Thanks for the info.

I don't fly fish with a fly reel, but use a closed faced trigger spinning reel and fly rod. I use a drop shot rig with some home tied flies for panfish.

Panfishing with a long rod is a lot of fun.