• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line

TonkaBass

I have used Trilene XT for everything (other than power pro) for a very long time. Just wondering what kinds of florocarbon you guys are using for spooling you reels. I bought some carbon pro and used it for leader material, but some guys are using it for tons of applications. Just wondering...

Last year I used Berkley 100% flourocarbon in 8lb test for a dropshot and 20lb Berkely Vanish (their oldest version) for pitching cover that wasn't terribly heavy. I liked the 100% flouro and will be using it in 8lb & 6lb this year. I also liked the Vanish. I haven't tried many other lines that I could compare them to, but I have yet to break off or have major problems with these two lines. So until I find a reason to switch I will probably stick with these.

I agree with the Berkley Vanish and I dont use anything else! I think it makes a big difference compared to regular line. I get alot more bites especially when i'm using light line for carolina rigging or dropshotting in clear or Dark water!

Berkley 100% floro is what i used all last year. I love it and i will be using it this year when the money is on the line. I'm also going to try vicious this summer, Just because it has really nice price tag. Have used other brands and just havent been happy with them.

I like the Cabela's and Bass Pro fluorocarbon lines. I've used them in everything from 8 lb to 20 lb and I can't see any reason to pay more for the other brands.

That being said, I haven't yet used the new Berkley 100% or the Gamma fluoro. I probably will never use the Gamma because I'd feel bad spending 25 bucks on 120 yds of line. If you're in a position to spend that kind of money on line, then maybe it's worth a look, but I'm not (yet) a tournament angler, and I'm better off squirreling the saved money away for my own boat!

I've heard that the Berkley line is WAY better than the Vanish, so I will probably give that a whirl this year.

I'm still in the early stages of figuring out when fluoro is the right choice, but the difference from mono is obvious. The main difference I've noticed is that it sinks more/faster than mono. I just spooled some on a baitcaster for x-raps/pointers/flukes in Arkansas next week. I figure it will get those baits down a couple more feet and keep them down in the zone.

Just my opinion, and like I said, I'm still learning, so keep the posts coming....I love this site.

DomW "I've heard that the Berkley line is WAY better than the Vanish, so I will probably give that a whirl this year." Berkley makes Vanish line I haven't used the 100% Flourocarbon by Berkely but the vanish Transition that they make is great.

HH - yeah, what I'm saying is the new Berkley line is supposed to be way better than their Vanish line, which has performed poorly for many folks. Sounds like you had better results!

Has anyone used the Vicious fluoro? I was hoping to try that, too.

I appear to be the one and only Sunline user. They have two kinds of fluoro that I use. The Sniper and The Shooter. I prefer to buy the premium stuff and get more life out of it. Which ever brand you pick, be prepared, you get what you pay for. Fluoro is not for guys that want really inexpensive line. Try buying one spool of a high priced version and one of a low priced version. You will tell the difference right away!

Hiya -

OK, call me contrary...

I've never had good luck with Vanish. It has always seemed brittle to me, although the Transition does seem a little better. Still, I used 20# Vanish flipping last summer - for a little while anyhow. Had way too many break-offs on the hookset up in the rushes... I tried the Trilene 100% last summer too. It's probably ok on a baitcasting reel, but I sure didn't think much of it on a spinning reel. It was stiff and I had horrible line slap on the blank when I tried casting jigworms with it. Worked fine for dropshotting however.

I've been using Triple Fish for the last couple seasons. Love the stuff. It's also a LOT cheaper. A 200yd spool of 8# is about 9 bucks. TF is a lot less expensive because of where and how it's made. All Fluorocarbon (fluoro is used for all sorts of stuff, especially various filtering media) is made in one of 3 factories. 2 are in Japan, one is in Germany. Most of the line mfgs get their Fluoro from Japan, then process it into fishing line. Triple Fish is made in Germany, and made into fishing line right at the factory. So there isn't a built in supply chain expense or the cost of further processing. Huge $ savings.

Should note too that there's usually a difference between Fluoro castable line and leader material. Leader material is stiffer and tougher.

I use Fluoro for drop-shotting, crankbaits, and as leader material for C-rigging and when adding a leader to braid. I also use it pitching more and more.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

RK do you think using fluorocarbon for pitching has gotten you more bites???

I started doing it last year and i really think it helped me catch more fish. I love fishing shallow cover and on tought day i seem to get more bits then other guys. I only bad thing about it is i like to re-tie a lot and after awhile that gets spendy!!!

I love the RK insight!

I also have been using 17-20 lb fluoro for pitching and love the abrasion resistance and senisitivity. I have always been a palomar knot user with my jigs, but I read somewhere this winter that a palomar knot with fluoro is more susceptible to breaking. I haven't had any issues, but I'd hate to lose a toad because I tied the wrong knot! Anyone have any knowledge of this?

CB -

I think the lower visibility might help some in getting bites, yeah. I generally pitch with fluoro in very clear water and/or in cover that's not as thick - i.e., when I'm pitching vs. pure flipping to get out away from the boat a little bit. Examples would be pitching rushes or cane edges vs mats of coontail or rice. Also tend to use the Fluoro more when I'm pitching slow-falling, lightly-weighted soft plastics or fishing them back slower vs a fast-dropping, reaction strike type presentation like a heavy jig and pig I'm punching through cover. If the cover's heavy though it probably doesn't matter at all. I use 50# braid with no leader and let 'er fly... \:\)

DomW - I have heard the same about Palomar knots and heavier fluoro. It pinches the fluoro at the line tie I guess. I use a San Diego Jam knot with fluoro of all sizes. Seems to work very well.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Add me to the "disappointed with Vanish" category - it has been brittle and seems to fray. I also tie it with Palomar knot for everything and heard the same thing about it breaking. I can't even count how many times it has broken off at the hook while drop-shotting no matter how careful I am tying it and wetting it.

Was going to give the 100% a try this year but may try RK's recommendation.

I know with alot of Florocarbons some knots have prouble because of the heat. When you tie a knot with Floro carbon right before you really tighen it down spit or lick it with your tongue and this causes less friction so the line will hold together better. If you dont it heats up and thus you guys might be getting your breaks from that. Just my 2 cents. Also its what a person has confidence in! If you like the line you'll use it and have more confidence and vise versa! but I really have relied on the vanish Transition on hot Clear days in the summer for more bites.

Hiya -

Hehehe...glad to know I made ya work a little Deitz. The SD Jam is a pretty good knot I think. Not too bad to tie as long as you leave yourself enough of a tag line.

hhguide is right on about heat and fluoro. Even a little really degrades it. The Vanish Transition is great for line watching. I just wish I trusted it more than I do... Hard to get me to use anything but Triple Fish anymore.

cheers,

Rob Kimm

I have always thought of flourcarbon as kind of weak when it comes to shock restistance. This is because 6 or 8 lb. Vanish will not hold up to a few good pops! I tried it with my hands and it begins to frey and then break. After a while I tried it with other brands and they hold up better.

RK-

Why do you use it with crankbaits? My fishing partner does as well, but is there much benefit? I know they dive deeper but how much? A foot on a deep diver? Does it strech nice like mono to loose less fish? I dont think it casts much further (I did a little test).

I tried the vanish when it first came out and hated it. Lines broke and I had a very bad birds nest problem, (every 3 or 4 casts). The backlashing could have been opporator error, but I dont have problems like that with the other lines I have used.

I am considering trying florocarbon again this year, so hopefully the 100% trylene is as good as you guys say it is.

Hey TonkaBass -

Probably doesn't make a huge difference in diving depth except on a very long cast to be honest. Although with my set-up for deep diving cranks, I can fling a DT-16 a *long* ways... I do think though that it seems to slow down how fast baits rise when you stop them. That aspect I *really* like at times. I also like the abrasion-resistance. As far as stretch goes, I think it's a nice middle ground between braid (which I also use for cranks, particularly later in the summer when I'm fishing deep coontail a lot) and mono. Less stretch than mono but still some ability to soak up some shock and not pull hooks out.

I can't say that it's categorically better than mono, but I do like fluoro for cranks, and haven't found any significant downsides that'll make me switch back to mono...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm