• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcast or spinning?

Rainman

The age old question.

I use both, and some of my largest Flats have been caught on both.

This is just my opinion, but as long as you have a good quality drag it really doesn't make a difference. The way I fight a fish, the only 2 major purposes of the reel are to take up slack line after lifting with the rod, and "dragging" when the fish goes on a run.

Gear ratio and cranking power isn't that critical to me.

The other difference when using a spinning reel with a baitrunner is that the clicker is less aggressive and usually adjustable, sometimes that's good, sometimes bad. I really do like how you can adjust the tension of the clicker on my spinning reel.

Another thing to consider is casting. Once you get accustomed to a BC it's really not hard at all, but I can tell you one thing, I've never had to pick a rats nest out of a spinning reel ;\)

By far though, the quality drag is a must for me.

I prefer a baitcaster but have both and both perform well. What type of line do you want to use? I really don't like how heavier (ie 20 and 25lb) mono lines perform on spinning reels, so I stick to superlines for spinning reels.

I echo everything dtro said. I use both - I really enjoy catching a nice channel on spinning gear - it is more fun than surfboarding one in on 80# test PowerPro on a Heavy action baitcaster.

I use both spinning and bait casting. I guess if I had to make a choice I would take the bait caster over the spinning reel though. You never know when you are going to hook into a big cat over 20 lbs. and the gears in the bait caster do help in letting the critter know who is the boss.

That being said for small channels a spinning reel is OK too. I am uncertain how a spinning reel would perform with a Flat head? I suppose they catch them on spinning reels but I would think it would be a whole lot harder.

I use 30 lb. Hi Pro and have for several years now.

I choose my reel by what I am targeting. I like spinning reels when targeting channels in places with no flats, and baitcasters the Minnesota River. I have caught many large channels on spinning reels and never had a problem though

I'll stick with the baitcasters for the mudeyes. I do however want to look at getting a longer "loading" rod and equip it with a good spinning reel for channel/circle hook situations.

Have to do some snoopin at the show. I Love The Showdance.gif

I'm too used to spinning reels to want to switch. I have a new one that I bought for Flats that I want to try out this year. Its a Mitchell 7500 Fullrunner with the baitrunner drag and its filled with 80 pound Tufline. Its on an 8 foot heavyweight Uglystick and I think I could tow cars with the darn thing. Now I just need to find a fish to test it on. Anybody have any experience with this reel??

I use all spinning, and haven't had a problem with them. I use the large saltwater style reels from Okuma. Drags are great! Probably some of the best I have ever used. I also have a large Cabelas Salt Stryker, which is made by Okuma as well I believe. Coupled with the right rod, these reels have worked out great. I have them all spooled with varying test Power Pro line, up to 80lb.

I run nearly all Abu Garcia baitcasters now. Started out with a big Okuma spinning reel as I hadn't had much baitcaster experience yet, but quickly upgraded to baitcasters.

Larger spinning reels like the Okuma Epixor EB50, Shimano Baitrunner, Tica makes a nice one can't remember the model will all work just fine. First year we went up to the Rainy sturgeon fishing was with Okuma spinning reels and if they'll stand up to a half hour fight with 50-70lb Lake Sturgeon, they'll handle nearly any catfish in Minnesota.

Few reasons I prefer the baitcasters for fishing cats:

- I think the drags are smoother, and you can really lock them down if you wish.

- "Clicker" is louder, and has much more tension to release it than a spinning reel. A spinning reels "clicker" is really pretty quiet.

- When a flathead hits and runs, I like to leave the reel in freespool and thumb the spool. I can apply more and more pressure to the spool to feel for the fish, and then set the hook on him. Basically I have more control over the spool with a baitcaster.

It really is personal preference. They will both do the job and they both have their advantages.

I've never had to pick a birdsnest out of a baitcaster either. ;\)

Originally Posted By: hanson

I've never had to pick a birdsnest out of a baitcaster either. ;\)

Anyone who's ever spent a fair amount of time running a baitcaster will undoubtedly have "professional overrun" from time to time.

I find it very hard to believe that it's never happened to you. Your not really claiming that are you? \:\)

" A guy I know... " once had forgotten to thumb the spool on a 209 full of power pro on a real haymaker of a cast.... "he" told me it wasn't pretty...

"he" is _really really_ careful about thumbing the spool when casting the big winch now...

blush.gif

I use all baitcasters. The main reason is better control on casts. I can thumb the reel to dump a large bait right next to cover. If using a spinning reel, you can catch the line with your finger, but I don't have much luck with that and live bait. The bait tends to keep going, but the hook does not.

Now if I fished differently, or in places that does not have much timber, I may prefer different rods.

I can't use a baitcaster at night. I can't seem to be able to toss it out far enough without getting backlash as it hit's water. I still depend on visual for thumbing the spool. Well, unless I tie a big light bobber on...

slip- I had the same issue for a quite a while, eventually though I was able to thumb it in the dark as well... what I started doing is apply a little more pressure throuout the cast, and throw harder... that way when the bait hits the surface, the spool stops almost instantly. also depending on the reel the tensioner can be cranked down during the cast as well.

at least this works on Penn 209's.

I've actually gone back from spinning rigs to spincasting rigs for my lightweight fishing (read catching bullies and suckers for bait).

All Hail the Zebco 33!! \:\)

*laugh*

it wasn't long ago, when all I used was spinning reels ( because they looked cool \:\) )

and my dad had forbidden me from using his Abu baitcaster because he was sick of picking out the birdsnests that I created, then made worse by trying to fix... blush.gif

Now I love the things- although I haven't ponied up for one of the low-profile baitcasters yet, I'd bet they're pretty nice.

For now I'll stick to heavy baitcasters, and spincast for the light stuff.

I figure it's all good, personal preference on what works for ya.

There are some really nice spinning reals that work just fine for flatheads. Tica and Shimanno make some very nice ones.

Being able to micro adjust line tension through the bait feeder function on a spinning reel is a big advantage in my book.

I mostly use baitcasters, but thats what I mainly used before I startted cattin too. I just bought some spinning reels to use for channels, and possibly sturgeon. I get sick of picking birdsnests out when I take friends and kids fishing who can't cast baitcasters very well.