• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer...

tisosy11

I am looking for a small ATV trailer...something to hold my ATV w/ plow. I was wondering if anyone has had any past expereiences they'd like to share???

Its a Polaris Sportsman 400 i think.

I bought a $750 special from the local farm supply store in Mankato. After the first time I used it, the trailer was rusty. The paint had worn off the fenders but the roads were covered in slush, sand, and salt, so that didn't help matters any.

My trailer is a 5x8 with a ramp. Other than the rust, it's held up very well so far, other than the fact my oldest son tipped over a 600 lb tree stump onto the ramp one day and bent it a little. Believe it or not, he was only 14 at the time.

Depends on how wide the plow is. If it's 60" then a 5x8 with short sides may not be big enough. Just measure to make sure. Also if you use it for fishing and have a portable or a sled, you may want something longer.

I like aluminum snowmobile trailers myself. More room for the same money if buying new, but may not be as strong as the steel trailers. The other thing is tire size. Some want bigger wheels and tires. I have done just fine with the smaller tires on the snowmobile trailers, but I do keep the bearings greased well and check the tires often.

I'm using a 5x8 steel trailer from Runnings and it's rusty too. I expected as much going with a steel trailer but it fit the budget at the time. Now I'm planning on getting rid of that one and going to an Aluma trailer roughly the same size.

I purchased a Sled Bed in 1998. I store it out side and it's held up quite well.

If you are running solo, park your machine in the front-center of the trailer not on the right or left side, that way your trailer tires will wear even and last longer. I had a 5x8 steel with a ramp but went liter and larger. With my 8'6"x10' I can haul two wheelers and 2 portables. It's nice to split the gas once in a while on the 500 mile round trips.

If I do it over, it will be 8'6"x12' or 14'.

Dan

sportsman800053.jpg

Watchout with sledbed trailers, they are know for weak tounges! My brother broke my dads off and my buddys broke of on him month ago on 35W at 60mph!!!

Dozer, thanks for the headsup, I will inspect the tongue today. In the ten years that I've owned this trailer I could not tell you how many TONS of dirt, sand, classfive, 3/4",2",riprap, and granite slabs this trailer has hauled. The granite came from Morton, 100 miles west of me. I know a lot of the loads were way over 3000 lbs. The trailer has thousands of miles on it.

I'm sure it's like any thing else you purchase, some will have problems and others won't.

This has been a very good trailer for me. I would have no problem purchasing another one.

Dan

The older sledbeds have a 2" wide tounge and the new ones have a 3" wide. Sledbed claims there is nothing wrong with the old ones but I have heard alot of stories about them breaking.

I bought mine ~7 y/a for about $650 in Nebraska.

This ad below is an outfit in Buffalo.

"New.has 4'ramp gate,3500 lbs axle,load C radial tires.other sizes available.ramp also folds down on floor $1195...parts & service too

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I have not looked at thier trailers, just saw the ad. It might be worth checking out.

I picked up a 4x8 with rear gate/ramp on hsolist for $100. It was kind of an eyesore, but with a little work, paint, and new tires it's a beaut. Just took my big bear 350 down the road with it and loved it. Next question, it's never been registered and I need to get that done. Probably will tell them it's a homemade. Any idea what the cost is, or what docs I need to get this done. THANKS

The DMV will help you out. It is an easy process. I think you can look up the trailer license fees online, but not sure. A lifetime license is only like $20-$30, if it's even that much.

We got a 8x20' floe trialer, works awesome. Their Versa-Track system works great. We haul all kinds of stuff, some times 2 atvs up to 6 atvs, 3 atvs and a atv trailer with atv mower and the veras-track allows us to haul all these different set ups easy. But there is some bad things too such as, the loops that fit in the track are expensive, and seize up if you dont grease them. I see now that floe changed how these loops work. Also the ramp is kinda weak for atvs, we had to reinfroce it, but its a snowmobile trailer and snowmobiles are alot lighter than ATVs. The ATV trailer I think has better ramps.

About Sled-Bed I have buddy a couple years ago he and a friend we going up riding to Red Top and I think they were on HWY 47. Well his touge broke off on the way up, ATVs went flying into the ditch and totaled out the ATVs, a sportsman and a scrambler.

I bought an Aluma trailer 7'x8' works great, you can fit two atv's on there or atv and fish house next to it, i like the bigger tires compared to the sled bed's, also its aluminum. At least check them out, id buy another one.