• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NASCAR Fans- Be Warned!!

zamboni

Merril Lynch analysts are reporting that T-Mobile is going to buy Sprint. Time for another name change. T-Mobile Cups coming!! I still love after promising to keep it called the NEXTEL Cup a few years ago after Sprint bought them, they went ahead and changed it anyway. How about this- the NASCAR Cup? Everyones a winner there and it really only makes sense.

it seems to me that T-mobile is trying to buy out everything so there the big dealer around. Im a t-moblie customer, and as far as im concurn, it shoul be called the Nascar Cup, but sponsors will pay a ton of money to have there name there.

without the sponsor of that series it won't be there. Their contract with NASCAR allowed one name change so it shouldn't change again. The one name change that was written into the contract specifically in thinking about mergers and such was discussed greatly last year when they were fighting with RCR over Jeff Burton's sponsor...

I dont think it should even be called NASCAR anymore. They are no longer stock cars anymore, and IMO the car companys should be very upset that they have to put there name on the same car as the other companys, this is not good for raceing.

Originally Posted By: lawdog
without the sponsor of that series it won't be there. Their contract with NASCAR allowed one name change so it shouldn't change again. The one name change that was written into the contract specifically in thinking about mergers and such was discussed greatly last year when they were fighting with RCR over Jeff Burton's sponsor...

It was supposed to stay NEXTEL after they took it over from Winston, that stayed that way for 2-3 years. Just getting to be a headache thats all.

Originally Posted By: zamboni

It was supposed to stay NEXTEL after they took it over from Winston, that stayed that way for 2-3 years. Just getting to be a headache thats all.

No actually that's the contract I just said specifically included a provision allowing the title sponsor name to change once as they know how mergers and acquisitions go in the telemarketing business. It SHOULD stay the same now though as they used the one change that was included in the contract.

Originally Posted By: lawdog
 Originally Posted By: zamboni

No actually that's the contract I just said specifically included a provision allowing the title sponsor name to change once as they know how mergers and acquisitions go in the telemarketing business. It SHOULD stay the same now though as they used the one change that was included in the contract.

Is the contract still valid if Sprint no longer exists? I can understand using Sprint through the rest of the year but why would NASCAR or T-Mobile want a defunct companies name listed as the title sponsor next year.

Personally I think NASCAR needs to name each series, i.e. Grand National Series or Cup Series, and then use the sponsors name.Something like the Grand National Series by Sprint. It just bugs the P out of me when they say that Dale Earnhardt or Richard Petty won Sprint Cup championships. They won Winston Cup championships. I assume their trophies don't say Winston Cup, Nextel Cup, Sprint Cup, T-Mobile Cup Champion. This changing of sponsors is just going to get worse in today's business world. Good thing it isn't the Northwest Airlines Cup.

Thats what I was thinking too, Black Bay. Cell phones weren't even a thought when Petty was around, yet they say he won Sprint Cups. Sounds like he won championships racing Sprint cars, and not the name of a company

You have hit the nail on the head here. All the cars (chassis, springs, frames, tires, ect.) are the same on all the cars except for the engines. All these "parts" are designed and mandated by nascar. Wouldn't it be great to see the car manufacture put their muscle cars back on the track to compete like the 70's-80's. I know, I know it just became to hard to make sure no manufacturer had an advantage with aero-dynamics.