• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford outside thermometer is wrong

You are checking it as going down the road right?, does it ever change or is it stuck on one number?

It can be a couple different things, temp sensor, wiring or compass module. Cheepest would be the sensor, bring inside your house at 65-80 degrees the resistance should be 8k-14k ohms, if that is ok, check the wiring to the module for high resistance, if thats ok, needs a module. Sensor about $25, module alot more! Wiring who knows how much! Most comon, sensor or module.

The temp sensor is located behind the grill, you need to remove the big black plastic shroud that is above the radiator. It is held on with push pins, that have phillep heads on them.

If you fixed this send me a message as to how you did it.

Mine did the same thing and I have a 2001 Supercrew...just started a few weeks ago and it's about that same amount off.

That's odd that at least two of them would stop at the same time.

Anybody else with the same problem?

Originally Posted By: mnhunter 3815
some times you have to calibrate them.gotta read the manual to adjust it.

Im pretty sure there isnt a way to calibrate the therm. The compass you can calibrate. The system just uses a thermister resistor, resistance increases as temp changes, and the module uses the resistance to calculate the temp.

My temp has been off for a few months (05 f150). It typically says it's about 105 outside at all times. I think the temp sensor was $40 so I decided to live without the temp guage for now.

You can calibrate your in dash or upper console compass on a Ford by going in a circle counter clock wise (or clock wise), but you can not calibrate a temp sensor on a Ford, with out a ford tool of sorts. I would start with a temp sensor, like 4wandering said. (nine times out of ten) the probe by the grill is the concern.

Good luck..

Deitz,

You find a wide open area or parking lot and do about 3 or 4 sharp/tight circles going slow. I think its counter clockwise, but if that does not calibrate/correct the compass, do it clockwise.

By doing this, you show internal computer gyroscope what direction North, South, East or west is.

Deitz there are a couple different procedures depending on model, & year.

Year?

Model? (f150, f250?)

Is the display on the overhead console, or on the eatc head (temp control head)

No problem Shack, some have the little hole in the compass module by the mirror you need to push in the button with a paper clip, some have the mode button on the overhead , and if it is 04 or newer it is built in the inst cluster and need to select compass calib through it, thats why I asked.

No fighting boys... Um.. I think its an 01? F150... Silver and has a cute sticker on the side.. LOL

The temp and direction is on the roof thingy up by the front windshield...

Shack-- are you serious, drive in circles?... Or are you just saying that so I look like a dork in some parking lot?...

Dietz he is correct, but there is a little more to it!

Compass Calibration

NOTE: For optimum calibration, drive to an open, level location away from large metallic objects or structures. Switch off all non-essential electrical accessories (rear window defrost, heater A/C, map lamps, wipers, etc.) and make sure all doors are closed.

Start the vehicle.

NOTE: To exit CAL mode before carrying out a compass adjustment, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Locate the electronic compass/temperature display on the overhead console, press and hold the MODE button until CAL appears in the display, then release the MODE button.

NOTE: If the CAL indicator does not turn off after the vehicle has been driven in a circle no more than five times, demagnetize the vehicle and repeat the procedure.

Drive the vehicle slowly (less than 5 km/h [3 mph]) in complete circles until CAL disappears from the display.

This is right out of the service manual for an 01 f150 with the display on the over head console.

Don't forget to put your left index finger on your nose and stick your tongue out at a 45 degree angle to the direction you are driving while do the conuter clockwise circles. This will assure proper calibration of your truck.

Trust me on this one.

I did think there was a little more to it, it has been a couple years now since I did the last one.

Thanks 4wanderingeyes for the info.

I think if this does not clear this up, it would a compass module. This should though.

Good luck.

You mentioned that the truck's reading is different than the reported temp on the radio. I have two home weather kits that provide me with the outdoor temp, and the radio stations are often many degrees off what I'm reading on two independent instruments. Check your truck with the reports from the National Weather Service.

Pick the parking lot Deitz! I think we should all get together and drive aroudn in circles trying to calibrate our thermometers and compassses. Perhaps just pick a lake and drive around until we wear a hole in the ice! IT's time for spring!