• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

About to pull the trigger on a lund - need advice

EricD

I'm about to put an offer down on a 2008 Lund Explorer SS with a 115 HP Mercury 4 str. Basic boat, motor and trailer, with no options, no electronics, no trolling motor. I'll add those later but I'm at a loss as to what would be a reasonable offer. It's a nice boat with a lot of features standard on the boat. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to the boat world and there's lots of variation here in the market.

I assume you're working with a dealer, since you're talking about a 2008 boat???

Have the dealer give you a price, and shop a couple other dealers. Some may deal with you over the phone, or there's still some boat shows / sports shows around so maybe you can work with some dealers there. Since you're talking about a basic boat / motor / trailer package with no added options it should be easy to compare pricing. Get 3 prices, that should let you know if everyone's in the ballpark or not. Then decide where to go and what to offer based on what you're finding out.

I own a 2005 Lund Explorer SS 1600. I love the boat overall. I think Lund has a great reputation but I also think that only being able to buy a Mecury motor will hurt them. I am just not a big fan of a Mercury motor. I would really weigh my options and look into an Alumnacraft also.

Eric,

Here's a couple thoughts.

1) What's the length of the boat(?) - if it's 17 foot, the 115 is just fine - if it's an 18', I'd recommend stepping up to a 150 hp motor.

2) What pound of trailer - and brand. For that boat, I feel you should have at least a 2800# trailer, if not a 3200# with brakes.

3) Here's what I'd do boat shopping - write down every detail of the dealers quote - number of seats, batteries, spare tire, trailer model/details and make sure you write down the exact motor model. Then, like mentioned above, you can do an apples-to-apples comparison. go to Lund's HSOforum and find some area dealers to get quotes (in writing).

Sorry. It's a 1725. I looked at non-current new boats but Lund doesn't seem to loose much value around here. A 2007 or even a 2006 1725 with the same motor run no more than 10% less. For example, I'm looking at an asking price of just under $21,000. They also have an 07 of the floor for $19,900. I found an new 06 but the asking price was $18,000 and it's an entirely different boat with a n older hull and the older Merc motors. Lots of people suggest low balling and it's tempting but I think it's important to have a good relationship with a dealer and I want to show a little respect.

Originally Posted By: EricD
Lots of people suggest low balling and it's tempting but I think it's important to have a good relationship with a dealer and I want to show a little respect.

I understand your thinking about wanting a good relationship with the dealer, but don't confuse that with price negotiation.

Be courteous and professional in your negotiation, but don't pay a higher price because you want to get the relationship off to a good start. If you offer too low and they don't take it, they won't be offended. It's just business and if you agree on a price that fair for them and fair for you everyone will be happy.

Also, make sure you get everything in writing. For example, if they're going to give you a cover or extra seats or some electroncis, etc. make sure you get it into the purchase agreement to avoid disagreements later.

Price negotiation should not affect your relationship with your dealer.

I did the same comparison shopping ona Lund a few years ago, ended up with a boat from a dealer relatively close to home. I too was looking at buying my own "add ons" under the understanding the dealer would rig it up. I couldn't be happier, but above all, as mentioned before, treat 'em right and you'll get the same in return.

The dealer I went with does prioritize rigs purchased there if and when service is needed. Something to consider...my rig is "in and out" the same day on the few occasions I needed something done.

Chris

With a current boat, I'd recommend to haggle with them a little bit, as they actually expect you to for how they price it. They could take you as a softy, and you might not get the respect that you deserve if you don't. A simple question like "Whats your bottom dollar on this rig?" is probably all you need.

As far as the boat goes, you're making the right decision. I own an 18 foot explorer w/150 suzuki and have nothing but good things to say. You are making the right choice by going with the current model that has the IPS II hull over the IPS hull. That is a major difference. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 08' has center rod storage, another very big plus. That 115 will power that boat great, and I'd guess you'll be getting between 41-44 mph top end with an average load. As for the trailer, may I reccommend Galvanized. They're sure ugly, but will last forever. A buddy that bought his lund in 04, the same year I did, already has some rust specks on the white paint from taking it on gravel just a couple of times. My galvanized looks like it did from day one.

Overall, your purchasing a great boat that has a resale value that dominates over all other brands. Lund screams quality, and that IPS II hull is the best handling aluminum hull I've ever ridden in. Just do some research on the dealer you plan to purchase from. Try to talk to people who've actually bought boats from there, and ask how the service was when they had to get check-ups, minor repairs, etc. I personally made a huge mistake in the dealer I bought mine from, and now know I will never use them again, as my boat was in the shop for over 1 1/2 months for the 1st 3 months I owned it due to engine trouble. Urgent care may be claimed from a dealer, but don't always take their word, do the proper research.

Congrats on the new purchase, and I hope everything goes well for you.

Don't overlook the extras when you are negotiating. Your Lund Dealer can make you a good deal on options like a cover, Lowrance, MnKota, extra seats, Wavewackers, batteries, etc. and can upgrade your trailer. These options will come rigged and will save you lots of time and effort. Price out what you want on the open market and compare. The extras are very negotiable if you have done your homework and know what you are talking about. Lund offers Lowrance and MnKota units as standard equipment on some boats and these units can be upgraded.

Last year I bought a unit like the one you you are looking at. I looked around for a month or so and decided what boat I wanted. I heard all kinds of things from each dealer, but they were all within a $1000 on basic unit. I decided to go with the lowest priced dealer and began to deal. Before I went back to the dealer I checked the Lund HSOforum and called them to confirm the incentives they were offering. The dealer did tell me about extra 3 years of warranty for the Merc motor, but either didn't know about or neglected to tell me about the following incentives: Lund hat, leather jacket, rod & cup holders for the track system, the Rapala box (which is packed with cranks and tools) rain suit and some other gear. Lund also had a huge discount on the custom vinyl snap on cover. Once I brought up the incentives they became part of the deal. I talked the dealer into upgrading the batteries, throw in an extra seat, and provide a spare tire and mount. He even gave me two life jackets.

As is my usual practice when making a large purchase I took a week to think about the deal. It so happened that I went to the Northwest Sport Show during the week where I talked to another dealer, got the same deal and saved $500.00 and got a really good upgrade on the bow mount. In the end I paid a fair price, the dealer made some money, but I got more by knowing what I wanted and what to expect. The best advice I can give you is not to be in a hurry. There are plenty of Lunds out there for sale.

It doesn't hurt to try and negotiate a price. If there is no room to move, try and get them to throw in electronics, or something like a cover.

I would check out AlumaCraft & Crestliner. They may have a few non current boats that may save a few $$$.

If you buy new make sure you get all the Lund extras and deals they offer. Lots of dealers tend to "Forget" about these incentives. Hats, tackle, rods, extra seats, covers etc. all are offered at times. Go Galvanized on your trailer. It will ast a lot longer. Not pretty but they last.

I have a 04 Explorer 17' and a yamaha 115 4 stroke and love the boat. fastest I have gotten it with a stainless is 45 with a light load so dont think you will do more than that.

Do your homework and call as many dealers as you can and get prices. I do however recomend buying from a dealer fairly close to you for service purposes. Shops that you buy a boat from give you better service on average and get your boat done faster. At least in my experiences.

I will also recomend you buy your electronics and get them mounted by the dealer before you pick the boat up.

Thanks everyone! This is a great forum. I'm glad I found it. I'll pull my tradein out of storage(small 1979 lund) and I think I'll be ready to deal next week. Thanks for all the input. It sets my mind at ease.

Before you pull the trigger you might want to check out the boat dealer in my town. They have a few holdovers (both Lund and Alumacraft) that fit well within your budget and are not stripped down. Just an FYI.

I would really check out outfitting the boat with all the options you will need. I have to believe that the extras will come for less money if bought as a package.

Last spring I purchased a new LUND and bought it all rigged. The dealer treated me very good with many extras and some not only discounted but some were for no charge.

The sport trax system is great and dont forget some rod & drink holders as you will probably be able to buy them with the boat for less than at a later date.

From the bow to the stern, LUND has a great boat and one that will really hold its value over many other brands.

Eric,

There is a ton of really good feedback so far. It has been mentioned by a couple others and I will add to it. Don't be afraid to shop lund vs. alumacraft. I was shopping for a new boat last spring after owning three lunds. I ended up going glass but was looking really hard at alumacraft as well. The explorer is a great boat I have owned one and loved it. At this point I would be more concerned about the dealer than the boat and to some extent even the cost. I have heard some really bad stories from people that have gotten pinched by dealers after the sale. It is a new boat and something will go wrong with it or need to be adjusted under warranty or not and you really want to feel good about the dealer you are working with. As far as adding the extras later I have done it both ways. I would negotiate the cost for the extras up front. The dealer can give you just as good a cost as you can find and will ofthen do the rigging as part of the intial boat set. However, if you are financing and don't feel like financing a piece of eltronic equipement that will be outdated long before it is paid for I can certainly understand purchasing the extras donw the road. Good luck.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time looking at different boats and it came down to quality, fit and finish, price and dealer. Most of the dealers in this area are pretty good but the sales staff varies quite a bit and that’s usually the interface with the dealership that you’re stuck with for a while. Lowe boats seemed to be filled with stuff that looks like it could break and any second. Crestliner was nice but they didn’t have the features that others had and fit and finish seemed less clean. Alumacraft was a real option but the price was within spitting distance of the Lund and I really liked the sales guy at the Lund dealership. He lives on a lake nearby and spends a lot of time on the water and he’s spent a good deal of time with us trying to come up with a package. I think they are pretty firm on price and it seems low compared to prices I have received over the phone from other Lund dealers (by 7-10%) so maybe they’ve taken the discount they can afford to give out of the boat already. I have an old Lund for a trade in. What I plan to do is haul it in for them to look at, give them a sheet with what I want on the boat and then try and get to them to consider the money I’m ready to spend. They can decide amongst themselves how they want to divide the markdown up between their own flexibility on price and the value of the tradein. I’ve done that with motorcycles before: “I need to walk out of here at this price. Here’s my trade. Can you do it?” If they can’t, I can see if discounts on accessories I might want can make up the difference.

Lots of help here. Thanks for everything!

Did it! A brand new baby 2008 Lund Explorer SS. I'd love to say nice things about the dealer on this board but I don't know if that's allowed. Thanks for all your input. It turned out to be a good buying experience. I can give more details on what I got, if anyone is interested but I wanted to report on the outcome of all your advice.

Feel free to tel us about your good experience with the dealer. You can name them just dont add contact info and your ok.

Its always good to hear a positive boat buying experience.

What all did you get and how much?

1700 or 1800? I have the 1700 and its a great fishing boat and its small enough to go in smaller lakes but big enough to handle some big water as well.

Got any pics yet?

It’s a 2008 1725 Explorer SS – white with a grey interior. I took everyone’s word for it and put on a 115 4str Mercury rather than the 90 that was suggested. The difference was less than $1000 and, while that’s a lot of money, it seems that I’ll appreciate it later. Here’s what I ended up with:

sport package

Minnkota 70 pd 60" trolling motor

Lowrance x-125

Cockpit cover

Snapin carpet

Spare tire and bracket

2 extra bases for the fore casting deck

3 Lund baseball caps

The dealer was Ray’s in Moorhead, MN. Really up front guys. They worked with me for a long time to put together a package I could afford. Easy to talk to and really thoughtful about what we needed. I can’t post picks because it’s not made yet. They have a few reserve slots at Lund and I’m one of them so it should be here in 5 weeks. I’m thinking of upgrading the trolling motor for one that’s sonar ready and maybe putting in a color fishfinder. These aren’t rigged at the factory so I can change them in the next few weeks if I want. And they threw in the first service, first winterizing and first winter’s storage.

Thanks to everyone here. I’ve been loosing sleep over this. I have never spent this much on anything I’ve ever bought (ever!) with the exception of my house but I think I got a good package.