• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Houses

Icefisher23

Lots of places have been having sales on them. Check out all the bigger name websites and get an idea of what you would like. Check out Canvas Craft too, they are located in Ramsey Mn.

There are a lot of nice portables on the market. You sorta have to match what works best for you and your style of fishing. Are you going to be pulling it behind a sled/wheeler or are you just driving out on the ice and dropping it off? Or, are you pulling it by hand...etc. Do you plan on packing all your gear inside...etc. I have had both a Otter and this year I used a fish trap Yukon.....I was happy with both. Give us some more ideas of what you are looking for and how you are going to be using it....and perhaps others would have more suggestions.

Cliffy

I will also suggest a Otter. Best tubs on the market and the new pole designs and canvas on the Camo series cant be beat. For a roomie 2 man go with the Mag Lodge. If your going to fish 1 guy a lot and 2 only once in a while than the Cabin may do you well. Go look at them at a store. Now is the time to buy. Lots of end of the year sales coming up.

Oh I forgot. No matter what you buy put the hyfax runners on it.

I love my Frabill Trekker 2-man. Fits in the back of my flareside Ranger with the tonneau cover closed, yet it is still big enough to fit all my gear inside and still easy to pull by hand. On top of that, the Arctic Armor cover holds heat very well, there have been many days where it has been 0 degrees outside and we have been fishing in T-shirts.

I really like my Otter Cabin. Can slide it into pickup by myself (not with auger it in, but everything else). Enough room for two big guys, but you are pretty close. If you fish with two guys all the time, and have room in truck and will have two guys to help load it, I might suggest the next size up.

I put a U bolt in rear of it, so we towed another two man shack in line with mine behind a sled and it towed great! The Otter rod holders (extra option) work awesome!

If interested in Otter, call the factory and ask if they have seconds... Same as new, and a fraction of the price. You need to pick it up though...

Otherwise I have seen good pricing on the X2's and also Otter stuff right now at several places. Good luck with whatever.

I would suggest a house with a heavy duty sled if you are going to be pulling it behind a wheeler. Otter and the X series houses are pretty tough. Also, depeding on the model Eskimo makes a pretty nice house too.

I just bought the Frabill Fortress. I really like it compared to the Eskimo Quick flip we had before. I like the fact that the Frabill had everything in one package deal. The tow bar, hi-fax kit, the sled, and travel cover was all one price. It also was on sale, about $120.00 off the suggested on-line retail. I like the nice seats (2) and there is room for a 3rd person on a pail or another type of seat. I know the insulated one would be much easier to heat in colder conditions but they are considerably higher priced. I bought mine at Streif's Sporting goods in Warroad MN. They also had some Eskimo and Otter brands there on sale as well. I suppose late in the season like this they try to move them to make room for summer stuff. Just my 2 cents worth

I love my clam Fish Trap Guide. The seats are moveable and comfortable. I can get everything in the sled that I need. It fits nicely in the back of my F150 with a 6.5' bed and even under my access cover.

The cost was not really too bad either...

This time of year you might be better off going to the store or several stores and "test driving" some houses. You will find things that you will like and others that you will hate. Every house has some sort of downfall sometimes its jus a matter of living with something that meets most of your predetermined criteria. It is definitely a good time to be buying but they usually start to go fast as the deals get better and the ice gets thinner.

icefisher23 all mentioned would do you well. You asked about a QF II Eskimo and as I have one I'm quite happy with it. Maybe you can go tent hopping on the ice and see what others have and talk to them or look at ones set up. Nows the time to buy whatever you because of the sales but don't wait to long.

I have an otter cabin and love it. If I were buying again I would look at an otter but probably go bigger just for more space. They others are nice as well, but the sled on the otters is real nice. Get the hyfax on it no matter which one you get if you are pulling by sled or wheeler, will save a ton on the sled.

QFII Eskimo is a real solid house and a good price. The poles are kind of small and could see issues there. The tub is also very low profile...but the whole set up is extremely light. The bench is something you'd have to get use to.