• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favre Retires!!!!!!!!!

wallmounter

Seriously? Do you really think these guys go home after a loss and their first thought is "that guy with the block of cheese on his head in the 3rd row sure looked sad after the game, I feel really bad for him". I think the guy who is worried about completing his job or getting his next sale in order to keep a roof over his family's heads or get his kids through college is under slightly more pressure.

It is not hard to be a humanitarian and give when you have it all to give, when have several months a year off, and millions of dollars to write off. It is all very generous and I am not picking on Farve and give him credit for doing it, but I have more respect for the person who is working 60 hours a week living check to check but still finding time and or money to help out someone else.

As far who is bandwagon, I guess I will ask this. Were there Vikes fans here in this thread week in and week out, win or lose, for the last couple of years? When have we seen the Pack fans? When they beat the Vikes and Farve's retirement. You are not here when your team is beaten by the Vikes or a couple of years ago when you stunk. Look at the post history of some of these guys, you will see a some large gaps in their attendance in this forum, and coincidentally it would coincide with Packer failures. I guess loyalty for me goes beyond showing up and drinking beer in the stadium. If you change what you do based on the results of the game or season, you are bandwagon. IMO

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me 10 million for 10 years, let me work 5-6 months a year...i'll find time to visit children's hospitals.

How many season tickets holders in the green and gold packages?? I am pretty sure there are plenty of people making the couple hour ride north from milwaukee.

Oh yea - how many games did favre lose because he played with a broken thumb on his throwing hand? at least 2, maybe 4???

Favre isn't even the best QB in his teams history not to mention best in the NFL...

Limit out, the reason that the packers sell out every game is beacause there isnt anything else to do in Green Bay. Imagine what that town would be if the Packers left, NOTHING! In the Twin Cities, there are hundreds of other things to do at any given time! What is there to do in Green Bay, watch the Packers, drink, um poach deer, um drink, and for the ones who are smart enough, go fishing!

A real fan would go to the game regardless of what's happening elsewhere...it's only 8 home games/weekends. Plenty of time to do those "other things" the rest of the year if you're a real fan and not a fair weather fan like they are here. Half the problem is the ticket holders in the Cities are more corporate I believe, and go to the games just because the tickets were comped and it's the "in" thing to do...the place to be seen when the Vikes/Wolves/Twins are winning. When they are stinking up the joint they stay home and/or scalp the seats. I think there is a lot of that here. An open air stadium might help thin those bandwagon fans out a little and let the true fans get tickets who will show up regardless.

Give me ten mill a year for fishing and I'll show you one heck of a passion. Let's not forget, they are playing a game and getting paid millions. I have passions for what I do. OK, he was at a Children's, I work for the Children's in the cities and we have atheletes all the time in the hopspitals. I think it's great that he makes these kids days but I wouldn't knight him for it. Actually when KG was in the cities he did a ton for the community and wouldn't let the press get a sniff of it.

As far as the dome and bandwagon fans, I would go to every game if I could afford too. Tickets are overpriced and then you have to pay for parking and food. You're looking for two people to go to a game it's at least $200 per game. I can't do that 10 times a year and that's for crappy seats. Also, if it wasn't in the big inflatable toilet, I think you would get more folks there. As much as I hate to say it the stadium in Green Bay is a much better place to watch a game. If we had that here I think you would see more sold out games.

To be correct, they were sold out because various corporations and/or television stations bought out the remaining tickets to prevent a black out. So to be truthful they haven't really sold out every game since 1998 without some help.

Ok, so to everyone on here that says Favre broke records because he played SO long, how many yeard did the other top Qb's play?

Marino

Warning, Spoiler:
17 seasons

Elway

Warning, Spoiler:
16 seasons

Montana

Warning, Spoiler:
16 seasons

Point being, Favre has one more season on Elway and Montana and the same as Marino. The only reason he broke all those record is because he played so long? Please......

As far as Sal Palentonio's article goes...can't say what I want due to the word-filter....

Sell outs? If it wasn't for Target and the local TV stations buying the extra tickets so the game could be on TV, the only one MN would have seen this year would have been the Packer game, and I bet almost 50% of the people that bought those tickets were Packer fans..........

No kidding, it sure was nice a couple years ago when the queens were so bad they couldn't even sell out the games even with the corporate buyouts. Then those of us that live in western WI could actually see the Pack play and not be subjected to the Viking games because we fall under the twin cities programming. Should be alright on in the near future right??? Certinely looks like it might be that way unless Bestbuy and Target want to really dish out the dough. Pretty sure we won't need to worry about any Packer games not being able to be sold out since it has never been an issue....ever.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
A real fan would go to the game regardless of what's happening elsewhere...it's only 8 home games/weekends. Plenty of time to do those "other things" the rest of the year if you're a real fan and not a fair weather fan like they are here. Half the problem is the ticket holders in the Cities are more corporate I believe, and go to the games just because the tickets were comped and it's the "in" thing to do...the place to be seen when the Vikes/Wolves/Twins are winning. When they are stinking up the joint they stay home and/or scalp the seats. I think there is a lot of that here. An open air stadium might help thin those bandwagon fans out a little and let the true fans get tickets who will show up regardless.

I go to one or two games a year with one usually being a road game. I actually prefer to watch it on TV. So I don't go to every game. Does that mean I am not a real fan? In your quote above, you stated a real fan would go to every game as it is only 8 weekends a year. I haven't missed watching a game since the early 90's due to a wedding. Are the only real fans the ones who are at the stadium for every game? You are correct there is way too much coporate ticket types at the games but then again you kind of got to have corporations to have that issue.

No, I was referring to those who have tickets and then sell them when the going gets tough. The discussion was about stadium sellouts. Actually it's about Favre retiring, but went a little off track. blush.gif

However, a sellout is a sellout. Whats wrong with companies buying seats...they are just saying that they will purchase the seats that are left. By sunday at noon there are very few tickets remaining that these companies have to purchase. The numbers are skewed because they use thursdays totals to set the first amount. The vikes havn't had a blackout since 1997...the Vikings have also sold out every preseason game. Also preseason games bump the amount of home games up to 10 a year.

The packers also have 2 sets of season ticket holders to deal with...that certainly doesn't hurt when season ticket holders in Wisconsin don't actually get the full season.

I am not going to lie...as much as i love the vikings stadium I do think that an outdoor stadium with room to tailgate would automatically raise sellouts from 100percent in the last 10 years to at least 100% in the next ten and so on.

Green bay population is upwards of 250000 when including the metro. Minneapolis is 360000 and the metro is 2.5 million.

In green bay your choices for entertainment is either cow tipping, curd eating contest or NFL football. Of course the choice is NFL...have you ever tried cowtipping? In minneapolis you have museums, culture, timberwolves, wild, D1 sports, the choices are endless. Sure this doesn't count twin cities metro and st paul, but it also doesn't account madison/milwaukee in the tally either.

In closing - All NFL teams have bandwagon fans. All have fans that are not. Its part of the NFL.

Oh yea - Favres retired!

Brett Favre is a no talent A$s clown...HA HA HA HA HA (gerbschmidt laugh)

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
However, a sellout is a sellout. Whats wrong with companies buying seats...they are just saying that they will purchase the seats that are left.

It means that the fans are disinterested in the product that is put on the field. When the going get tough, the bandwagon fans stay home. A sellout due to fans interested in the game is one thing, a sellout due to corporate interest is something completely different. Sure it goes down in the books as a sellout, but it's not indicative of what is really happening with the level of fan support.

Like I said before, there are only eight home games and there should be no problems selling out 60,000+ seats on any given Sunday with a population density of MPLS-St. Paul, regardless of the supposed other things to do in the twin cities.

I am a huge viking fan and have been all my life. How many games have I been to? 4.

I just enjoy it better at home and can't see paying the high ticket prices. If that makes me not a fan in some peoples eyes, when then it does.

I can move out of the state and still call myself a Minnesotan, can't I?

In green bay your choices for entertainment is either cow tipping, curd eating contest or NFL football. Of course the choice is NFL...have you ever tried cowtipping?

Nothing to do in Green Bay??

Bay Beach Amusement Park

Bay Park Square

Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena

City Stadium, former home of the Packers

Cofrin Memorial Arboretum

Green Bay Botanical Garden

The Broadway District

Heritage Hill State Park

Meyer Theater

National Railroad Museum

Neville Public Museum

Great fishing

I believe for a small town there is more to do than cow tipping.

Many people may not be into these things but there are things to do.

You just listed all the commercial buildings in Green Bay! LOL

mnwild, you obviously been to GB, and looks as you live in the metro, you compare! If you wanted to find something fun to do, which would you pick to visit? Green Bay, or the Twin Cities? Things that dont involve football!

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
No, I was referring to those who have tickets and then sell them when the going gets tough. The discussion was about stadium sellouts. Actually it's about Favre retiring, but went a little off track. blush.gif

I think I get your point a little better but a ticket sold is a ticket sold, regardless of whether they walk through the door or sold to someone else. If only 5 showed up on Sunday but 60,000 were sold, it is still a sell out. I think I hear you on who you are calling bandwagon.

An FM thread going off track? Never grin.gif

What viking fans get sick of is hearing favres yardage and TD record is because he is the best but the INT record is because he played so long. Just call it as it is, he threw a ton of bad passes. Call it being a gunslinger, i'll call it a bad decision throwing into double coverage. And let me put this out there, because i just said that doesnt make me a packer hater, a favre hater, and it doesnt say that i don't think that he was a great QB. As far as Sals article, i dont see much that is opinion. It seems pretty straight forward to me and not much that can be disputed.

So there are a few builings there. It still matters what is happening in those buildings. The point would be better served if made about demographics. Lets boil it down to sports fans as your demographic.

Green Bay has:

Packers

St. Norbert's

High Schools

Twin Cities has:

Wild

Vikes

Twins

Twolves

Pro Lacrosse

St. Paul Saints

U of M sports

Augsburg, Bethel, St. Thomas, Hamline, Concordia, etc.....

High Schools

Major sporting events that are held in the Twin Cities that Green Bay does not have (PGA, SR PGA, LPGA, NCAA tournaments, WCHA tourneys, Final Fours, Frozen Fours, All Star Games)

I think if you took a per capita study of sporting events attended in a year you would probably find people in the Twin Cities attend more sporting events in a year than Green Bay people do. A guy can go to 1 Vikes game, 3 Twins games, 1 Twolves game, 3 Wild games, 2 U of M events, 1 Saints game ( a average to slow year for me) and have attended more sporting events than a person who went to all 8 Packer home games (which how many do since you have the Milwaukee games also). The Twin Cities person probably showed just as much passion throughout the course of the year but spread it out amongst many sporting loves.

I guess it would be like having 10 lovers and always having a couple of them ready for you urges or if you had just one that was only available to you only 8 times a year during one specific season.......well you tell me which situation may create a more intense reaction.

I go out there 2 times a year for games. But to answer your question the obvious answer is Mpls, but if I dont want to look over my shoulder every street because I might get shot or knifed would have to be GB.

Green Bay isn't a 'small town'. They may want to be portrayed as such.

I was joking about nothing to do though. Of course there are some other things to do but in respect to choices. GB has less than Minneap.

Green Bay isn't a 'small town'. They may want to be portrayed as such.

I was joking about nothing to do though. Of course there are some other things to do but in respect to choices. GB has less than Minneap.

Green bay is highly populated, but it doesnt have many things in the city! Just alot of houses! I think the tallest building in GB is Lambeau field! As for this amusement park was refered to, I have been to county fairs with more stuff. Now I am not saying this stuff is bad! Its just simple life! To be honest, I would prefer to live in GB over the Twin Cities, I hate all the traffic, and people.