• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky Stamp?

Yep.

As long as the money goes to the right place. I've bought a trout and pheasant stamp along with the rest of my duck stamps for years and I don't really use either of those.

Does that mean a guy would have to buy the stamp to through a bucktail?

What if the claim is that he's fishing for northern?

I've seen guys fishing for "crappies" in early may with pig and jigs though - that's when the tip call gets made.

-erik

I like the idea of a stamp to keep one per year, and make the price about $1000 grin.gif

Allowing those who wish to keep multiple fish in a year is rediculous - way too precious of a resource, especially those bigger fish that are teens to 20 years old.

Yeah a jig and pig is a little excessive for crappies. Before opener I like to throw small 1/8 to 1/4 ounce inline spinners for crappies and I unintentionally catch a few bass every year, with the occasional walleye or pike.

I think the stamp is a great idea. At a couple bucks a fingerling it wouldn't hurt to chip in and get a few more each season. It'd be nice to see some real natural production to take over on some of the lakes so the stocking can be reduced or directed towards other lake. I wonder what the natural recruitment is on some of those lakes...

I love the idea of a stamp but I think it's an enforcement nightmare as somebody brought up in the other thread. How do you determine who is musky fishing versus who is pike fishing (or bass or walleye for that matter)?

Why not make it a voluntary stamp that can be purchased with all proceeds (minus the cost of stamp printing) going to a DNR muskie stocking program?

My answer to that question...give the money you'd pay for a stamp to Muskies Inc where almost all of the money donated goes back into the water via swimming fingerlings and adults. You don't even have to join a chapter, but contact your local one and tell them you want to pitch in $10 or whatever for their stocking program.

Why let government do what private organizations can do without the overhead costs?

have a muskie tag. just like a deer tag or bear tag or the like.have to register it and if you use it it's done. no more. if you don't buy the stamp you don't keepa da feeshy, heck not even a pic. the biggest problem with muskies disappearing is freddy fly by night accidently catching the fish of his life and keeping it, or if he does ''release'' it it's done for from being dropped 2-3 times and fifteen snap shots from 15 different angles from 5 different boats. immediate release no pic no measure no nothing. unhook and slide it in without a tag. this way, why worry about who fishing for muskie or sunfish? it's returned to the water and thats all thats needed, and anyone who wants a pic will buy their tag. 50''er no tag. bummer. i'd cough it up quick.

i agree on the muskie tag, but i say they can fish for muskie's without one and but not keep one, and they most certianly can take a pic of it. thats like the someone telling me that i have to pay for every photo my trail camera takes of a deer, its crazy and dumb. now i know there are some muskie EXTREMISTS out there who think that its a crime to keep a fish. i see muskies as the same thing as a pike but bigger is all, there so close in comparison that they can breed together.

I like the tag as long as long as its free and you have to register the fish & pay for the cost of restocking to help replace it, so lets say $5000.00 for a 53-54 inch fish, you get a price list with your tag then you can determine how important the skin is, remember these things don't grow on tree's. cool.gif

i have caught 9 muskies, and yes i know that minnesota is one of the best locations to catch muskies but to even think about making a rule of paying 5 thousand dollars to keep a muskie is dumb. and i have no problem with catch and release at all, i released all the muskie i caught.