• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern MN Walleye

The_Lee

I am currently deployed overseas and I will be getting home in mid- to late July. I am looking at taking a week long fishing trip with some buddies to just get away and relax. Can anyone recommend a good Northern Minnesota lake where walleye fishing is prime during the late July to early August time frame?

A reccomendation for a good cabin would be appreciated also.

I know The Alexandria Lakes area does well! Lots of Lakes to fish and a lot of different places to stay about 29 0r 30 Different resorts and hotels/motels ranging from High class resorts to renting cabins days or weeks at a time or State parks! drop me an email if you want more information!

Gull has been producing fairly well the last few years and there are plenty of other activities for a group of guys to do up their especially during those months. I have also fished Winne at that time of the year and we hit the walleyes and Muskies.

First off thank you for your service!!!!!!! I've allways done very well on Pelican lake, and have all ways stayed at Pelican Beach Resort on the south west side of the lake. They have every thing needed for a great week. Let me know if you want the number.

I would second Team Otter, Lake of the Woods is great that time of year, hump hopping or downrigging. I worked at a resort in little traverse for a few summers and fishing on the humps would peak around the end of july. And Lee, thanks for your service.

Winnebegosh or Cut Foot Sioux are always prime in Late July early August. About and hour before dusk start snap jigging shallow water (10 feet and under). Throw the jig out tipped with a minnow like a fathead (leeches and worms will just tear off the hook on this presentation) had spool out about 30 more feet of line. This is a trolling presentation. Wait for the line to go taut and then snap the rod so the jig shoots of the bottom and falls back. Each time the line goes taught snap the jig and let it fall back. You will need a medium heavy rod for this. Don't try it with one of those limp buggy whip type rods. You won't get the snap you need. You can also use some of the new shad type plastics but I prefer fatheads or small suckers, myself. (personal opinion) The fact is that either will catch fish.

Fish the early evening or get up early by at lest 4:30 and be on the water. After 9:00 AM you may as well go back to the cabin and take a nap till dusk. It gets too hot to fish walleyes after that.

Walleyes get into small groups of 3 or 4 fish and spread out over the water. Each pod has its own little territory. Mostly they will stay deep 30-40-even 50 feet deep. You can catch fish but it is a lot of work and you had better take lots of sunscreen with you after 9:00 AM.

Like I said, you can catch fish but you have to move, move, move and move again. Use your depth finder, find fish, catch one or two and move on. It is tough fishing but you can do it. Don't stay in one spot very long. If the pod is not biting move on to the next pod.

Change baits frequently. If one pod likes crawlers the next may like leeches. and the next after than may like minnows. I have even caught them on deep diving cranks at that time of the year. Take a cooler with lots of ice if you fish during the day and keep your bait on ice. The bait will live longer if it is cooled during the hot days.

This is scrounge fishing. You can catch them but I personally would prefer fishing at night or early morning for Mr. Bubble eyes. Remember walleyes like most fish are nocturnal. They hunt at night. They aggressivley feed at night!

Good Luck;

Stay Safe;

Tight Lines'

Uncle Kes