• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite lure & technique for Walleye & Perch

CSP88

Hello all, I'm a newbie to the site, I would like to see some other opinions on their favorite lure,color,size, and technique for catching Eyes & Perch thru the ice. I hope to hear of some that I haven't tried so I can rig up my arsenal for this year.

For Walleye I like to use jigging raps with a full minnow, not just the head. When you use a full minnow, it looks like a wounded minnow swimming with a live minnow,it's a two for one to the Walleye and it produces very well.

I also love to use glow glass jigs, they glow so bright and also produce very well.

Ole

I catch alot of perch, crappies, and eyes on jigging raps. The smallest ones, # 2s i'll tip each hook on the trebel with one spike(maggot). The 3s and 5s i'll tip with a small minnow head. Useing your electronics will show you how the fish want them worked. Two tips are to learn how to "shake" the lure so just the trebel with the bait flops around. And sometimes pullin the lure away slowly as the fish is approaching seem to P them off and they attack it...

For perch I usually jig with 4# Berkley MicroIce and a Genz worm with a couple of spikes or wax worms. Preferably spikes(they are tougher). Hit the lake floor to shake it up a little then bring it up an inch or two wiggle it, hold for a couple seconds and repeat. That is my main technique. Usually works great.

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

Jigging spoons and swimming lures are my favorite for both walleyes and perch.

Glow Devils, Angel Eyes, Buckshot Rattle spoons, Kastmasters, Sweedish Pimples, are a few jigging spoons.

Jiggin Raps, Nils Masters, Bad Dogs, Salmos, are a few swimming lures.

Spoons tipped with either a minnow head, whole minnow, or maggots.

Jigging lures tipped with either a minnow head or maggots.

A lot of different combinations out there for all of these. Like size, weight, color, noise/sound, action, etc.

Don't forget about the jig and minnow too.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch=N Tackle
MarCum

I use the same techniques for both species, but down-size for perch.

Rod one: Jigging lure, either Northland glow rattle spoon or jigging Rap or Nils Master Jigger. Tipped with minnow head for eyes, minnow head, perch eye or waxies for perch. Bigger sizes for 'eyes, smaller for perch.

Rod two: A slip bobber rod rigged either with a glow jig and back-hooked minnow, or a fluorocarbon leader and bare hook with split shot two feet up the line, depending on whether the fish are aggressive or not. Neutral/negative fish are likely to come in on the jigging lure and smack the minimalist presentation. More aggressive fish tend either to smack the jigging lure or the glow jig/minnow.

One rig I used a lot for perch on Devils Lake, N.D., when I lived in that state but don't use for wallyes is a jigging spoon with the hook removed and replaced by about 2 inches of line the same test as my main line and tipped with a small single hook. On that hook went waxies or minnow head or perch eye. Great perch rig. They come in for the flash but bite on the dangle. Too long a trailer and it gets caught on the spoon while jigging. Too close and it doesn't hang far enough away. Experiment and enjoy. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-11-2003).]

Some lakes I fish on have alot of pesky perch messing me up while I'm going for 'eyes. Some days, it doesn't even help to use larger presentations. So in that case, tricking a perch is easy. On the other hand, when fishing for walleyes, it's usually a prime time thing for me. I'll usually get set up early and one rig will be a jigging setup of the variety already mentioned. But in my second hole, there's always a deadstick rig. The business end usually always has a Gamakatsu #4 walleye wide gap single hook with either a tail or back hooked minnow. I always put on a splitshot about six-eight inches up from the hook to keep the minnow struggling. When they come in to have a look at the flashy/noisy jigging devise, they usually can't resist taking a swipe at the minnow. Another good thing to try is a slip dropper on your line up about two to three feet from the lure. Sometimes that will help attract fish that are a little further away.....Good luck-you'll usually need lots of it......T