• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting a walleye

TNFL

OK, My wife's Mom caught a big walleye on Rush lake about 5 years ago and was going to mount it. It has since been in her freezer. The w's dad recently asked me about getting it mounted so I thought I could deffer questions to you all.

After most likely freezer burn is it even possible to mount a walleye after 5 years?

Is a replica a better Idea at this point?

Should I make her eat it, so as to not wanton waste? HA HA J/K sort of

Does anyone know any taxadermist that may specialize in this sort of thing?

Thanks, and no, I can't remember how big it is.

[PoorWordUsage], i just remembered i have my buddies crappie in my freezer from earlier this winter...

I am not sure about still be able to mount...i would imagine the fish will have ill effects of being in the freezer unless the utmost care was taken when putting it in the chill...

I think it may be a lost cause now. To prevent this when frezing fish, place then in water and freeze them. That way there is no exposed surfaces to the air and the ice acts as a stabalizer so the fins won't break.

Check the fish out and see how it looks. If its bad, take a couple pics of it and see what a taxi could do. A replica may still be possible if the fish still has its markings and is still measurable.

It will be fine i used to help out at a taxudermy and they had this many times it will not be a problem the palce im talking about is the one in medford they do all the stuff for cabelas and also costmer stuff tell them matt gengler sent you they may give u a good deal if any more info needed email me at [email protected]

The taxidermists typically spray the fish and paint them to enhance the coloration and then put an epoxy coating over the airbrush painting they did. I'd say the mount could survive after this many years in the freezer but a replica might be a better option if you have pics. Take it to the taxidermist you like and find out their opinion on it and that might make it a shorter or longer discussion.

Tunrevir~

how was it stored while in the freezer? properly preparing and freezing anything that won't be brought to a taxidermist soon is crucial. freezers dry things out (especially fish).

i had a drake and a hen canvasback in my freezer for 2 years. unfortunately i forgot about them and they couldn't be saved.

5 years is a VERY long time for anything to be in a freezer, especially a fish that is to be mounted.

My opinion is to get a replica. 5 years, it will be freezer burned, discolored, and no good for eating. Hopefully you have a picture...that is all your replica maker will need. You can use the fish for a basic length and girth measurement. Give Rick and Shannon Lax a call...you won't be sorry. The replica will last the rest of your lives...the skin mount likely won't. Don't know if you can find a better artist.

I have done this myself in the past and it was a good lesson. Now I always let the big fish go. You can always get a replica later if you can't decide right now. The fish will continue to grow and reproduce, and will likely be caught again by someone else.

I would definitely check around and see what guys who do this (taxidermy) for a living say. Alot of the good guys have a backlog of a year before they can turn your stuff around. Guess what? It sits in the freezer during that time.

Most fish need fin repair work anyway, not a big deal for a taxidermist. If the fins are shot, they can replace them pretty easily as well. All fish are painted so it really doesn't matter what color they are when you bring them in. Most fish mounts are grey, black & white without color before they are painted anyway so "fading" or coloration loss doesn't matter. Eyes are new. A lot of the muscles around the mouth and in the face are rebuilt with clay. They can even replace or recreate scales if they are lost as well.

A really good taxidermist can do just about anything with a mount. Its definitely worth asking around IMO.