• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1 lb propane cylanders

dukhnt

I refill mine also. It works best the colder you can get the small cylinder the fuller the fill you get. I always carry a few bottles with me in case someone else runs out or forgot propane.

As stated earlier, it is ILLEGAL to transport these refilled tanks. Yes, it's also "illegal" to go 56 in a 55, and I get that argument.

One of the reasons, or perhaps THE reason it's illegal is that it can potentially be very dangerous. So I guess in a nutshell, just be careful.

I'm not for or against refilling i was just wondering...there has been a couple people saying its dangerous. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting injured or hurt by refilling and i know alot of people that refill them. One other question...how is the C.O. going to know if guys have refilled or they had just bought the one lb. tank (unless it looks old and used)?? I totaly understand the extra bottles and waste from everyone using 1lbers and then tosssing them...

I have the attachment to refill one pounders, but when the ends are rusty or bent, my disposal method is foolproof. I send them out with my sons along with a box of .22 shells. With two or three or seventeen holes in them, they are safe. Then I throw them in the scrap metal recycling trailer at work. My sons usually err on the side of safety and shoot them as many times as possible. They're such careful kids, as long as I furnish the ammo.

How do you guys run a latern if you don't use the 1 lb'er???

In our portable, we hang the latern in the middle of the house so everyone can see (Clam 1060, me, wife or dad, 2 kids) and I don't know how I'd run a hose into the house off of the 20lb'er and into the house and up in the air. Any suggestions??

Yes, I realize I could hook up a hose, but how would I run the hose??

I could run it up the side, one of the supports, but then how do I get it to the lamp, since I can't run it along the top and then down. There's too much heat generated from the lamp, that wouldn't be good at all.

If I just let it hang down, then whenever one of the adults stood up, you'd be looking at something of a noose ready to catch you.

Also, do they make a split at the valve for the 20lb'er, so I can still run the heater??

There are a number of "Y's" and "T's" available. Hardware stores, Home Improvement stores will Typically have them. Menards always seems to have a good selection of these. You can also check out Mr Heater's HSOforum for specific part numbers.

Also, you could get a pole from Mr. Heater like this:

Rw29iwO4IJA-UNoFr43z7YHoNYb2XhJe0300.jpg

It connects to a 5, 10, 11, 20 or a 100ler and has two out shoot's for heaters and what not. It also has a lantern (1ler) adapter at the top. It stands about 3' above the tank and it the best I have found for a lantern. No 1lbers needed.

Shackbash -

That's a nice deal with the post, but with the Clam 1060, that won't work either.

The 1060 looks like a trapazoid from the side when set up, and the heater gets put to the corner, in one of the sides, usually the "upwind" corner of the house.

The wall then slants over the tank and heater, where we place the fan to circulate the air.

The wall is about 2' above the heater.

I guess when we go out this week, we'll have to look into a way to run a hose, although I'm not sure how it could be done without, as I said earlier, creating a hazard of hooking your head from a low hanging hose.

Albeit, I go fishing about 4 times / year, and up until last week hadn't been able to go since 2005, soooooo... it's not like I'm causing new landfills to be opened to house all my 1 lb'ers anyways. \:D

When I still used lanterns...I ran a hose to the heater from my 20 pound tank. I still used 1 lbers for the lantern though. For the same reason as you...didn't want the hose to be in the way all the time... This was when I used my clam 5600.

I decided a flip-over sled style house was a better set up for me and when I upgraded to that I upgraded to 2 strings of LED lights as well as a couple round lights I bought at Wal-Mart.

The LED lights (run off a vex battery) or AA battery lights (which are very bright) could be an alternative.