• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1 lb propane cylanders

dukhnt

Go to Northern Hydraulic and buy the adaptor for refilling them from your 20 lb. cylinders and you can reuse them rather then tossing them out. The adaptor is about 10 bucks, screws into your 20lb tank and refills them in just a few seconds. Will save you dough, the landfill operators headaches and help the environment in general.

Tunrevir~

A lot of people don't know, but don't put them in the trash..

this can be very dangerous for the trash haulers or the end facility incinerators... even when you think they're empty, they're not.. call your county, the environmental person would know if they have a program or where to bring them... (I supervised the operations of one of the County Household Haz Waste Programs)

It is illegal to transport a refilled one pounder. I also posted this topic several months ago and I got multiple replies about guys getting huge fireballs from a refilled cylinder. I chose not to refill and went with a 11 pound cylinder and a hose set up. I have no complaints about it even on long pulls to get to my spot. Safety was more important than weight.

All of us should stop using the small 1 lb.bottles! I have the adapter and do refill,But look at the waste!the landfills are filling,our air degrading,We'er a nation of disposables (GARBAGE)WE have to start stopping all the waste. A little here and there does help!

Where are those returnable cases of long necks gone?

who needs returnable bottles when you can put the bottles at the curb with the recycling...I suppose the returnable bottels you get a few cents towards another purchase huh....oh well all the bottles never end up in the same area for me anyways!!

Originally Posted By: sparcebag
All of us should stop using the small 1 lb.bottles! I have the adapter and do refill,But look at the waste!the landfills are filling,our air degrading,We'er a nation of disposables (GARBAGE)WE have to start stopping all the waste. A little here and there does help!

Where are those returnable cases of long necks gone?

I tend to agree with you but it's not only illegal to transport those bottles, but it also has proven to be dangerous. I have often considered getting a refillable tank, but it just seems like over kill to lug around a 10 or 20lb tank to heat a one man portable.

Think of it this way though... Each 1# tank costs what, we'll say $2 to be on the generous side. I got a new 10# tank for $40, purge and fill was $16.50. Each refill comes out to be $11.50. Original cost is $5.65/lb. of propane which is pretty expensive outright. After the first initial tank runs out, a fill runs (about) $11.50, or $1.15/gallon of propane- savings of almost a dollar per pound if you buy the 1# tanks. It takes awhile to get your money out of the deal, roughly 50# of propane ($102.50=50# with 10# tank... $100.00=50# with 1# tanks) but environmentally- that is either 5 fills with the 10# tank, or 50 little 1# tanks!! Thats a LOT of excess metal to throw/store/recycle! If you go with a 20# tank the costs come back a LOT sooner, not to mention if you use the propane off your grill there's a cost of roughly $40 that you're cutting out. Just some food for thought next time you go buy some more 1# tanks...