• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite crankbait

TonkaBass

Normans Thin N cranks are what I have the best luck with. Sure would like to have more success with deeper running cranks tho.

I have a question concerning clear water? Are rattles and wide wobbling cranks a no no? Should I lean more towards a shad rap type crankbait? What colors should a guy start with?

I wouldn't say that they are a no no. I have had plenty of times where I have caught fish with wide wobbling cranks in clear water. Rattles are in most crankbaits these days and I think that they are more than not a good thing. I have even added rattles to solid bulsa lure before, but there is a time also for a quite bait. The main thing, in my opinion to pay attention to while cranking is to make contact with the cover. There are many other variables as well, lip desing being one of the biggest. (Square lips deflect the most on contact while round and spade lips dig more.)

lure cadence(IE wide wobble or tight wobble) has more to do with water temp than it does water clarity. The cooler the water the tighter wobbles seem more effective. I have found that no rattles in clear lakes that get a lot of pressure seem to work better.. Its why I reach for old Poe crankbaits... In clear lakes that dont get the pressure I have found rattles to be fine.

I am not the world's most enthusiastic crankbait guy. This sounds pretty lame but my favorite cranks are beat up Wiggle Warts. The worse they run (as long as they don't roll constantly) the more I like them. I still throw quite a few old Bagley DB3s as well.