• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flipping?

fishcast

I am wondering what exactly flipping is? It seems that the words flipping and pitching are used rather loosely and it has kind of confused me.

I think flipping is done with a set amount of line out, and just swinging the lure from spot to spot picking up the line with your other hand without pulling more line off the reel? but I am really not sure. I pitch lures, and with what I sort of picture as flipping I don't see where it would be very effective compared to pitching for the amount of times I hear it mentioned.

So what exactly is flipping? and what situations and lures are most typical for flipping? And I know what a flipping switch does, but why is it good for flipping?

Thanks for any help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct in your thinking.. and you are also correct in thinking that people use the two terms loosely to mean the same thing..

Flipping is a set amount of line. Line is held in the non rod hand and pulled between the reel and the first guide.. the lure is flipped into the said area.. if practiced, you should be able to hit a coffee cup at 10 yards or less 8-10 times...

Pitching is an underhand cast so to say, but a short underhand cast that also with practice can be quite accurate.. I would think that in natural lakes, in MN, most pitch not flip... I do both, but would say that pitching outweighs flipping.

I was looking at a bass fishing magazine last night and they had an article about the difference between pitching and flipping. They also had illustrations. The mag was called bass lures or something like it. There was a red lipless crank bait on the cover. Hope this helps.

I read the same article as Green Diver. Great read actually. I flip on 95% of the the lakes that I fish around here in central MN. I do flip on a couple lakes with very think reeds with dark, stained, water. I use a big 8' flipping stick so it is fun just horsing them out of the really this stuff. I basically use flipping for holes that I am very close to, like Deitz said, mostly under 10'. Very subtle water entery in very tight holes.

Ok, a couple of questions:

1.Flipping: pull the line out between the reel and the first rod guide right? I'm assuming on the opposite side of the retrieve handle right?

2.Flipping: I still make a huge splash.Does this mean I'm whipping the rod down or releasing too line too late?

3.Pitching: Been reading that you can actually just pull the bait towards you and spring the lure back.Is the bale open (assuming a baitcaster reel)?

4.Pitching: can you do this with a spinning reel?

3. Yes I let swing back and then i swing it back forward, 1 hour and i have had it down pretty good.

4. Yes, but you have to hold the line with you finger until time to release.

Also, Think about on the water efficiecy, Learn to pitch lefty and do put the bait back in your hand after every pitch, just swing it back and let it go, more casts = more chances to catch fish:)

Originally Posted By: BassProAddict
Ok, a couple of questions:

1.Flipping: pull the line out between the reel and the first rod guide right? I'm assuming on the opposite side of the retrieve handle right?

2.Flipping: I still make a huge splash.Does this mean I'm whipping the rod down or releasing too line too late?

3.Pitching: Been reading that you can actually just pull the bait towards you and spring the lure back.Is the bale open (assuming a baitcaster reel)?

4.Pitching: can you do this with a spinning reel?

#1 No, I dont think it really matters... either way is fine, the reel handle shouldn't be int he way.

#2 I would guess the lure is too high off the water, try your best to keep it nice and low.

#3 No, while flipping, the reel is engaged.. not open bail as you say.. that would be pitching.

#4 I suppose you could but few spinning rods have the backbone to do it effectively. But you could do it i suppose.

Additional questions:

Flipping

1.Non rod hand holding line between reel and 1st guide...when do you release the line to have the least splash? How far does the rod get swung back?

2.If the reel is engaged, the lure drops vertically when the line reaches the end of the slack?

Additional questions:

Flipping

1.Non rod hand holding line between reel and 1st guide...when do you release the line to have the least splash? How far does the rod get swung back?

2.If the reel is engaged, the lure drops vertically when the line reaches the end of the slack?

#1- this may be your problem.. you never really release the line, it stays in your hand. You "play" out the distance line needed, but never let go till the hook set.

#2. I cant speak for everyone on this, only myself. But when I "FLIP" I am fishing shallow enough that I dont run into this problem. I take the distance from the water surface to the bottom into the distance flipped.. if I can make enough line doing that, I will pitch instead.

Pitching is much more common, the reason someone would flip instead of pitch is accuracy and speed. One who flips is usually much more accurate and quiet(although some are very good at pitching) but one can bust out many many accurate flips in rapid fire to areas, while taking in time to reel slack and re pitch takes time.

I hope this helps!

Here is the method for flipping acording to the February issue of Bassin': "Prepare for the flip-cast by letting out about 8 feet of line. Hook the line between the baitcasting reel and the first line guide with the thumb of your free hand. Raise the rod tip while pulling back line with your free hand. This starts the lure's backward swing. Extend the rod arm forward and dip the rod tip low to keep the lure swinging back just above the water. You must allow the rod handle to rise above the inside or outside of your wrist. As the lure swings back, use your free hand to pull the line back behind you. The line should slide freely in the V between your thumb and forefinger. Quickly raise the rod tip and follow the lure forward with your free hand to feed line. When the lure reaches the target, stall its progress by snubbing the line. Only after the lure touches the water do you let go of the line."

It takes some practice to getting the timing down, but once you do, flipping is probably the most efficient way to get your lure in the water. Like I said before though, I pitch way more than I flip.

Dietz: The line stays in my hand? You mean the slack I pulled out between the reel and the 1st guide? Not release it? So why'd we pull it out again?

While flipping, I do it wrong usually.. where I have the rod in my right hand and strip line with my left. My left hand stays on the line(between the reel and the first guide until I get a bite and set the hook. I hope this is understandable. I should teach myself to keep the rod in my left hand.. I can do it, I usually just get lazy and go back to old habbits.

Dietz,

Why not just get a left handed baitcaster for flippin then. Sounds like it would be more "natural" for you to want to hold the rod in your right hand. I tried this system last year and it made all the difference in the world for me. My hooksets were faster/harder and I was much more accurate with my jig placement. A highspeed baitcaster made up for any deficiencies I had in getting used to the reel.

i tried a left hand reel also, and just couldn't get comfortable with it! i did start teaching myself to cast left handed, so i wouldn't have to switch hands. starting to get fairly good at it. ( also a plus when fishing out of the right side of the boat.since i'm usually the one on the trolling motor. the person in the middle doesn't have to worry about ducking!) plus if one arm gets tired i can switch!

something else the neighbors can tease me about when i get caught in the back yard practicing!

Hiya -

I'm right handed, reel spinning reels with my left hand, baitcasters with my right...and when I'm muskie fishing, cast left-handed and never take my left hand off the foregrip of the rod. So I'm completely screwed up I guess.

When I flip or pitch, I palm the reel in my left hand and either hold the line in my right hand (if I'm flipping) or the lure in my right hand (pitching). So if I'm pitching, I thumb the spool with my left hand rather than my right as I would if I were casting normally. I will sometimes swithc hands pitching though - still a little more accurate right-handed...

Pretty fun watching some of the top BASS guys (KVD for example) flipping with either hand...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Originally Posted By: RK

Pretty fun watching some of the top BASS guys (KVD for example) flipping with either hand...

Its pretty fun watching KVD skip under docks. One of the shows he was on he was skipping under a dock from what looked like 40ft away, with a baitcaster.

Skipping with a baitcaster is hard to say the least. I ussually use the rod like a putter and shoot the bait under the dock, pulling the tip backward as the bait reaches the end of the skip. Obviously you have to use your thumb a lot.

The other way it to lift you rod and swing the lure under it like a clock pendulem. It's bassically like a pitch that hits the water. It is way easier, but works best with heavy lure like jigs.

This could be a whole topic of its own... i taught myself to skip with a baitcaster a couple of year ago.. it took a bulk spool of line.. darn near 200 yard of line to get it down where I can do it... I can do it, but am better with spinning gear.

I will bust out the baitcast gear at times while skipping but only when I do it with heavy jigs!

I can do it pretty well with a bait the weight of a 5" Senko or more. It does take a lot of concentration though. I could do 15 in a row with no problem and then one momentary lapse in concentration and I spend the next 5 minutes fixing a "professional over-run" The keys for success for me are a properly set spool tension, properly set brakes, and the right angle of rod to the dock/water. And a lot of practice.

One of my new combos this year is actually a spinning set-up for dock skipping. 6' cut-down custom St. Croix with a fairly short handle. For some reason I have really gotten away from spinning set-ups the past couple of years and I am trying to get back to them this year.