• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman BlackCat Htr users

Uncle Grump

Hi guys

I'm looking for a heater w/ a lower BTU rating. I currently have a Mr Heater/Cooker (8-14K BTU) and it about roasts me out of my shelters - even on low - not to mention melting the ice and making a sloppy mess.

Do any of you have one of the Colemans? Am going to hook it up to my 11# cyl. if I get one. Comments?

Thanks

UG

the buddy heater does have three temp settings. i like to use it first, cause its less noise,then switch to the sunflower when its colder. would be nice to have somthing to lay on the ice in the shack to cover the slick ice. any ideas? tried rubber walkway pads with grooves down. there alittle heavy.

UG,
I've used the Mr. Buddy and liked it untill it got really cold, also had it blow out, but that was early in the year before there was enough snow to bank the house. Not to mention it was so windy that day that we had white caps in our holes. If you want to get rid of that Mr. Heater, I'm in the market and would probably buy it from you.

UG.....I have a Coleman Power Cat. It has a fan in it run by a couple of "d" cells. Normally, all I use is the Buddy but on cold days, I fire up the Power Cat to augment the heat a little in the fishing area in front of my portable. It has taken quite a beating and is a little banged up but it's still ticking. It only puts out 3000 BTU. It runs about 4-6 hours on a 1# cylinder.......T

I purchased a BlackCat a little while back because they were on sale and my wife was in a good mood grin.gif

I've only fired it up in the basement and it seems to put off a decent amount of heat. I will be using it in a shanty similar to the fishOntario style hut (4'W X 6'L x 6'H). Has anyone else used a BlackCat to heat this size of hut?

After reading a lot of posts in this and other forums, I noticed that a lot of you guys use a Mr. Heater Buddy.

You've got me wondering if I should take the BlackCat back and opt for the Buddy instead? confused.gif

I use the power cat and it is great i have the eskimo traveler and it will keep it warm enough in there for no gloves and holes only froze up when it was 30 below with the wind chill and that was only cause there was no snow last year to pack around the bottom of the shelter.

Cubbies

I used the 4,000 btu Black Cat in my Trap II for two years before upgrading to an 8,000 btu Dynaglo (like Mr. Buddy).

The Cat was fine in the two-man shelter unless it got below -10. Then it wasn't enough. However, if you have a shelter with a zip-out door so you can bank snow over the outside of the tent, I'd guess a Cat would do you really well. With the Trap II, I lose heat each time I flip up the door, and there's no way to maintain a good snow/slush seal with that type of setup.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]