• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip-up preference

MrSenarighi

Hey there, call me old school, I only use tip-ups for Pike fishing on LOTW. I like those Polar HT's, never had any kinda difficulties with these. I have one that I snagged in 4-mile bay while jigging from a boat 11 or 12 years ago and it works perfect to this day!

Fisky

My. 02 and the only ones I have are the Frabill disc looking ones. They are nice and compact and have some insullation and a little storage deal. About 20 bucks unless you can find them on sale somewhere. I love them!

I like the HT Polar and HT Polar II tip-ups. Arctic Tip-ups are similar to the HT Polar II. The Frabill Pro-Thermal is nice too. Frabill has also come out with a new hardwood tip-up that should be nice as well. HT also makes a nice wind tip-up.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

the round frabill thermal for me. I wasn't sure if i liked it at first but now just love it. I really never liked tip ups before due to freeze up and light getting down the hole but with the frabill both problems are solved.

My vote would have to be for the bever dam tipups I hav never had a problem and i still have my dads that are about 25-30 years old that consitantly outfish my new beverdams...i thin k that they are just getitng broken in..anyway my 2 cents worth

I use both the insulated disk and the wood or plastic bar kind both work well but in a windy drifting snow situation you hardly ever have to clean the hole under a disk type!But you can put a piece of carpet under the others and get the same effect.
the frabil disk just makes it less to haul around!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

HT Polar's are plastic. I reckon better is in the eyes of the beholder, I think the HT's work best, but heck I still prefer and use my old Zercom Clearwater Classic and think they still are the best, so what do I know!!!

Regards....Fisky

I use tip-ups a lot for walleye, northerns and lakers. I have used the basic HT's, the wooden Beaver Dam's and recently, the round Frabil's. The HT's are very portable and work well. I really like the look of my 30th aniv. edition Beaver Dam tip up. It is very smooth and will last a life time. The one thing I do not like on this one is that there is no 'handle' pointing down from the bottom of the spool, so it is much harder to wind in the 25+ yds. of line that a northern will run with. I have only used the round Frabil's a couple of seasons, but this is my favorite by far. The main points are that they are very visible, portable (no tangles), no hole freeze-ups, and extra storage for depth checker, hooks, sinkers, etc. My favorite part of these is when it comes to getting a 'flag.' With other, exposed tip-ups, if you do not attend to the hole frequently the hole will freeze around the post and even though the spool runs free, I have lost fish trying to chip the tip up out of the frozen hole. With the Frabil's, there is no freeze and no snow in the hole.

Here's to hardwater!!

[This message has been edited by Brainerdice (edited 10-26-2003).]

As long as we're on the subject of tip-ups, I've got another question. It's about those 'tip-up rigs' that have treble hooks and a small spinner. Are these things legal?

The regs say that treble hooks are only legal when attached to an artificial lure...are those little spinners enough to make these rigs legal?

Yes a spinner blade on a single treble or 2 treble rig makes it legal in Mn waters. Floats, spoons, ect. can also be used to make these type rigs legal.

Do a search using 'quickstrike', 'quick strike', 'QS', and you'll find this discussed numerous times on FM.com going back a few years....Lot's of info in the archives regarding tip-ups and quickstrike rigs.

Fisky

For simplicity, compactness and reliability I'd take the Poloar HT tipups. They fit almost anywhere and work great. Plus, the ones I have use a pretty large spool.

For convenience I'll take the round Frabill insulated units. They run $20 at chains, $15 on sale. If you run anything under a 10-inch hole, they are great (their diameter is 10 inches, and if your auger drills a 10-inch hole, you've got to finesse them to get them to cover the whole hole). Convenience because I don't have to chip skim ice out of the hole to pull the tipup when I get a flag.

I've got a few of each type.

When space is at a premium, I pack a couple HTs in the Croxton Pond bag and resign myself to chipping out built-up ice. When I've got room to spare I pack the Frabills, although their spools are smaller.

Note: I've also found that the Frabills will freeze up when blowing snow builds on top of them. That's because the flag assemblies sit so close to the ice. The HTs' flag shafts and such sit higher, so blowing snow doesn't affect them as much.
------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-29-2003).]

In Wi. 3 lines are allowed, so a few guys can have a lot of tip ups set out. Tip ups are a commomn way of fishing. To help out with freezing tip ups, throw snow into the holes. When it's COLD out, a clean hole freezes very fast. The snow insulates the hole. Although you'll get some "crispy" ice on top with slush below, it sure beats chisling hard sheet ice. Easier on the tip ups also. I know I've broke my share of tip ups trying to chisel them out or by useing the heal of my boot. Chiseling out tip ups can spook fish, especially early ice. Clean the hole out nicely to set your line, then cover the hole with snow. shocked.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck