• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Vermillion/Ely ride

snowgoose

Saturday morning we left Fortune Bay on Lake Vermillion and it was around 20 degrees out. We hopped on the lake and rode up to Ely. Some of the portages were a bit ruff but the lake was a nice ride. From Ely we went South and back West to Babbit. Trails were in really nice shape for the amount of snow they had on them.

I should mention that Saturday morning it snowed a inch or two. The fresh snow helped with keeping the hyfax lubed up.

From Babbit we took the trails back to Vermillion for a total of 114 miles. The temps were dropping and the wind was crazy. In the interest of safty we loaded the sleds up and called it a day.

Woke up Sunday morning to -55 wind shield. I was wishing I had covered the sleds on Saturday. All in all we had a fun weekend. Just didn't hit the trail real hard.

Driving home it looked like there was a couple inches of fresh snow from Cloquet to Vermillion. When the temps warm up a bit the trails in that area should be in good shape. Hope we get some more snow.

I dont know where you found two inches of fresh snow up here. I work in Babbitt and live in Gilbert and neither place got more than a dusting.(month to date precip. for the area is 0.09 inches according to the weather station also). But we are supposed to get 2-4 by Thursday.

I guess it could have been the wind that moved some old snow around. It did snow pretty good between Ely and Babbit on the trail. I am only reporting what I saw.

I have not been in this area other than this weekend so I appologize if my report seems off to you. I am just trying to help other FMers with a honest trail report.

I should have mentioned that some of the corners were icey and there was some loose rock in areas.

Hey Gents,

Just got back from an awesome fast weekend in ely. Friday was freakin cold but my sled felt like it was on steroids. Trails were in great shape and my sled was faster than [PoorWordUsage]. Saturday was beautiful but windy and plenty of people, trails just ok. Today was even warmer and the taconite between ely and tower wasa bit rough around the corners. Ended up taking the vermillion trail back thru tower, very nice. Overall great weekend and the trails were slightly better than ok. Could use 6inches minimum more snow. Still better than michigan. See you in march. Oh yeah....328 miles total and careful around the corners.

6 of us logged on just about 500 miles. We stayed at a friends cabin just north of Hibbing ( I think ) Rode to Ely, tower,babbit,cook and a few other towns and all this was new to me since this was the first time I rode sled down there. i thought the trails were good other than a few rocks on the power lines. I thought we would have seen more sled traffic but by seeing how chewed up the trails were by the end of the day you could tell there was a few sleds out and about. Our best day we rode 240 miles, and all the sleds ran good other a few fouled plugs. As Sledneck mentioned more snow is needed but the trails were ridable. I hope to go back again next year. Ride safe

You guys where right you could use some more snow. Was up there this weekend, Beautiful country and love the area just needed some more snow. We found some stuff to play around in on the lake and got some miles on the sleds. It was just nice to get out!!!