• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hand auger

gvg_uwec

hey guys... the reality of not being able to store a power auger in my dorm room is starting to hit and means i will have to be looking for a new hand auger...i know NOTHING about the hand augers and what ones are better to go with..any help on this will be GREATLy appreciated as i cant wait for that hard water to set in and the flags to be flying

I got a Strikemaster Lazer Hand Auger last year and I love it. Its light , adjusts to 4 heights and cuts nice. Just keep the blade guard on it or you will cut yourself or ding it up then they are tuff to cut with. Keep a extra set of blades with ya because as I said 1 little bur on the blade makes it hard to get a decent cut.

I'm happy with my 6" lazer, BUT, a few good people on this board swear by the nils master. I've never even seen a nils, but I never heard a bad word about them. I'm sure WallEYES will post up on this.

If your on a limited budget, I'd get one of the Mora blue hand augers. The Lazers are more spendy, but defineatly cut quicker than the Mora's. The Nils Master hand augers are just as fast as the Lazers if not faster once you get the two handed method down. But they are at the top end dollar wise, and they are heavier than the Lazers. As with all augers, treat the blades with respect and tender loving care.

AHH The auger debate! Well I have a stike master lazer...8". I don't even use it any more until a guy out east turned me on to the Nils master auger. I have a 6 inch and a 8 inch Nils. These augers by far cut faster and better than any auger on the market. I have cut holes faster than a jiffy or strikemaster powered auger. Cabela's sells them under HT high velocity auger. For those of you who are carefull of there stuff the bladehead will never have to be sharpened. Those that abuse/throw/and bang stuff around these augers are not for you, because they are not cheap. I think the 8 inch sells close to 90 clams. I believe in the old addage of you get what you pay for. These augers are well worth the price if taken care of properly.

WOW wallEYES a hand auger out drilling a power auger. This sounds like we would make a little competition out of it. Just kiddin I know that it depends on the situation and in thinner ice they are tough to be I suppose I guess I won't know because I will stick with my Jiffys. What are the Jiffy hand augers like I have never used one and no one has mentioned them?

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

iffWalleyes - WallEYES is right. Id bet a large portion of my savings on those Nils being faster than any power auger except maybe a few of the newest on the market. I have a six inch lazer and a six inch Nils. The lazer is great but id give a slight nod to the Nils. The Nils uses a two handed action and once you get use to using both arms/hands it is the cats ^$$....

Depending on size a Lazer will run you around $50-65.

I have a 6" Lazer and just love it!Cuts through thick ice like butter grin.gif

The blue Mora's plain suck IMO.

Havent used a Nil's, but have heard nothing but good things on them.

As with any auger, Take of your blades! Although, sometimes its beyond your control. Last year I drilled into a tree branch that was 18" into the ice,killed my blades.

Good Luck 'n Come On ICE!!!

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

Have you ever considered keeping your power auger in your vehicle. My first year in the dorms I always kept my power auger in my pickup. Would throw a blanket over it to hide it somewhat but worked slick for me. Just a thought.