• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Products for the upcoming ice season!

I was just wondering if anyone has heard about any new products that will be coming out this next ice season. I have heard about Aqua-Vu's new products, one of which I am looking forward to (Mo-Pod) as well as their buzz stix. Also Vexilar is coming out with a new case that has all kinds of gadgets on it. If anyone knows of other product that will be out this year I would love to hear about them. Thanks

[This message has been edited by WalleyeNate (edited 08-14-2003).]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzz Stick.....
There is a new rod designed by Jeff Zernov of Nature Vision called the Buzz Stick. Jeff Zernov also designed the Aqua-Vu. The Buzz Stick has a button on the handle that when pushed activates a light vibration causing the rod tip to quiver ever so slightly immitating the invisible movements on a minnow or a grub that triggers fish. It is powered by a battery.

Good Fishin,
Matt

I heard that Vexilar has a new Fl-8 SE. I am also wondering about that buzz stick too. Wondering how that will work.

------------------
Fish ON!

Lowrance will be have a ice unit out this year. It will be a flasher/graph for summer or winter use. They will be selling it as a seperate ice unit.

Scheels in Moorhead was showing me the unit. I do not recall the model #.

Bio-Bait will release Bio-Bait Larva this ice season (along with Bio-Bait "Crawler" and Waxworm/Shiner).
Bio-Bait Larva is a white "Rice Chrispy" sized soy bean based "fish food" that runs aprox. 60% + in protien. Made also from real magots and wax worms, it is then dehydrated. You add some water, soak for 10 minutes, and bait up!

Up-side... is value. It is about 4 times the value of live bait in the volume you get for your $ .
It looks like a larva, smells like a larva, tastes like a larva... is larva. It will not die, will not pupate, can be frozen solid and thawed to use again, has an extremely long shelf life (years & years)before adding water. It is totally bio-degradable... and "food" to those animals that might eat it (birds, fish, etc...)

Down-side... you must add the "wiggle".

Catch-N Tackle is the US distributor.

Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

As far as information on the Buzz Stix. The rod will retail at $29.99 and the Combo will run $39.99. There will be 7 actions from UL to MH in lengths from 24" to 30"

Tight Lines,

Catch-N Tackle has released a new plastic crayfish and non lead jigs that are intended for the ice season.
The Baby Kick-N Craw is 1 1/2".
You may fish it with a jig or by inserting into the body a new Catch-N Tackle Glow Dart, see the FM Rochester Forum http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000709-2.html for photo.
Glow Darts hang horzontal unlike most tear-drops that hang verticle and are made of bismuth instead of lead. They also have a VMC red color hook (look for them soon on the catch-n.com site).

Catch-N Tackle will soon offer a full line of "Safe Jigs" painted in glow colors with double dot eyes, that also are made of bismuth (that will include 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 18, 1/4, to 3/8oz.). These jigs will also have a red VMC hook. The 1/64oz. will have a #8 hook and the 1/32oz. will have a #6 hook. These should work great for ice fishing.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
Used by FishingMN Family

FYI guys & gals...
I have posted a photo on my site that shows a reversed rigged Catch-N Tackle Glow Dart inside a tube body. The photo is under specials/rigging/new products (yellow link at top of page)at www.catch-n.com
This rigging innovation may not be new ( I have done it with round heads... for years) but what is new and 2 cool is that a Glow Dart's cone shape spreads the tube body arms much better than a round head jig... and it reacts much differently in the water when verticle. There is about 100 times more movement from the tube body's arms.
Check it out and give this a try this winter thru the ice. I think it'll just ROCK !! It is super effective in open water and works on all sizes of tubes.
Pete at FishFever.com did a clip of this rigging in the Owatonna Cabela's fish tank. It is just wild to see the action on this rigging concept and how well fish react to it.

Bio Bait LARVA Ice Bits is now out... and it rocks in open water. Field tests are now done and the results were fantastic on panfish.

Also, Safe Jigs have arrived smile.gif
They have a stronger hook than do most teardtops and most other ice lures. For a big fish "tiny" ice lure in the past, I have fished with a Bait Rigs Mini Slo-Poke to have a hook that will not straighten out. That can mean not loosing a big fish at the hole.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 09-20-2003).]

I saw on the Aqua-Vu site they have some new equiptment out. For icefishing they have a new camera set-up called Ice Pro System (IP). The camera points straight down and the viewing screen is bigger and better. They also have a new Motorized Ice Pod (MO-POD).

------------------
Fish ON!

Lowrance has come out with a new pack called "The Ice Machine." It can be equiped with either the X67C sonar unit or the M68C SI unit. The M68C SI has both a sonar and mapping feature. This pack is designed with a transducer set-up similar to other ice fishing sonar units.

Frabill has also designed several new products for the upcoming ice fishing season. There is a new series of Ranger shelters from single man up to multiple persons. There is also a new rod called the Amplifier that is lightweight and very sensitive. There are a set of discs that are amplified with the slightest vibration of the line.

I'm sure there is more to come...

Good Fishin,
Matt

Catch-N Tackle has added "Pail Chairs" to the list of it's ice fishing products.

The Pail Chair is a folding seat that is made of pine. Glued & and screwed together, it is very durable. When you lean back, the five gallon pail it sits on... will turn over before the chair will break.
Made from scrap wood and un-finished, the chair is not much to look at... but is very "comfy" to sit on, and provides great back support. This chair sold me long ago as being a must have for "sittin on a bucket" all day in a portable!
It is made with a handle so that you can carry it and a pail in the same hand.

Check it out at the FM booth at the St Paul ICE Show... or see it now on the Catch-N site.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
Used by FishingMN Family

The Buzz Stix is gonna surprise some people with it's ability to turn tough panfish. Mr. Zernov knows a thing or two about triggering fish to bite, right jpz?

The new line of ice rods by Rapala, I think, should also become popular products this winter. They're offering a few more sizes beyond the customary 20 to 30" lengths produced by most icerod companies. We'll see.

One bait I'm looking forward to fishing is Northland's Mini Airplane Jig-- looks like it'll fish similar to a Jigging Rap or Nilsmaster Jigger. So another entry into the increasingly popular category of swimming lures.

Should be a fun winter of experimentation!

-a friend called Toad

Catch-n tackle has a lot of new items as well. I think the new Bio Baits are going to be a hit. Made out of real live bait and longer lasting. Real interesting stuff that will turn some heads and catch fish. The new Glow Darts by Catch-n Tackle look awesome and I plan on adding them, along with others, to my arsenal.

Good fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

Those buzz sticks sound like a jiggle stick which was made, patented and sold around this area about 10-15 years ago. I know they can still be had if you know where to look.
The product was called "Twerp's jiggle stick" named after the inventor who lived in Richmond at the time on Cedar Island Lake. The product was produced by a factory in Rice, right here in central Mn.
I have one and although it quit working some time ago I have kept it around for sentimental reasons.
Two "D" sized batteries fit in the "red plastic" handle and would power the rod to twitch up and down an inch or two. When a fish would bite the rod would stop twitching. It was really an invention ahead of it's time (IMHO) when you consider this was about twenty years ago.
The sad part of this history lesson is two-fold. The first being that ( Twerp ) had to literally check the quality of every jiggle-stick before it was sent out to the customer because of the shoddy workmanship at the factory where the ice rods were produced.
The really sad part though is that Twerp never got to see a web site like this, and share the things he knew about life and fishing with a huge horde of fisherman on a daily basis.Unfortunately he passed away quite unexpectantly in his ice house doing what he loved. His family handed out "TWERP's Jigglesticks" at his memorial service to anyone who wanted one. I think Twerp's family probably still has around a thousand of his jigglesticks still in storage to this day.
When I see how far and how fast we have come and are going with fishing technology,....I try real hard to remember people like "Twerp." TROY

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 12-08-2003).]

Sorry to hear about your friend. He sounds like a great guy. I'm glad that you shared the story with us. People like that need to be recognized and remembered and he was lucky to have a friend like you who does that.

From one fellow angler to another. I'm sure Twerp is still working his magic. smile.gif

Take care and good fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

For everyone that could not afford the $399 MarCum LX-3... check out the new $279 MarCum LX-1 available at Cabela's, same features as the LX-3 minus the zoom feature. Also they have a new handheld depth finder as well that's fairly reasonable in price.
MJ5 - Let me know when will open up the MarCum thread.. That was fun last year... You been keeping in touch with Paul this summer? He took care of a couple of friends of mine. Great company...