• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great places to go wheeling closer to twin cities????

kdawg

Hello,

I've used this site for a couple years but only for the fishing forums but now I bought an ATV for my son and we're both pretty stoked about trail riding this spring. Any suggestions for great trails with the least amount of travel from the twin cities? The idea of hitting a RR trail where it's nothing but straight-line travel doesn't appeal to either of us, but rather nice trails through the woods and hills is what we're after. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Check out MN DNR HSOforum. There is an icon on the right side of the page that will give you all the state owned ones. There are more out there on county land but they arnt listed anywhere Ive found yet.

Nemadji isn't that bad of a trail system and not too far to drive from Hugo. Chengwatana would be a another to check out. I haven't been there personally, but have heard good things about it. Superior National Forest is another within a couple hours.

Roofer,

I'm glad you chimed in. It was actually the St. Croix that I was thinking about, not Superior.

But as far as the trails in the south, we have Snake Creek and Trout valley just off WHY 61 between Wabasha and Winona. Not far from there is the SE MN Trail that runs from Stockton to Altura. The trail head for this one is on the west end of Stockton by the trailer park, north side of the road.

All 3 of those trails are in the bluff country of the Mississippi River Valley and are very scenic with rolling hills, amazing views, and abundant wildlife. Very nice trails. If you're into camping, there are primative camp sites available at both Snake Creek and Trout Valley.

All 3 trails would make for a great all day event. Trailering would be required between all 3 since they're not interconnected.

Heading west, there is the Chatfield trail (South of Rochester). I haven't ridden this trail yet but plan on it this summer. Do a google search on Chatfield MN ATV trail and there should be a link to the club's HSOforum for trail and meeting info. This trail is open year round except for deer hunting season.

Further west yet are a couple other trails, but nothing that I can honestly recommend driving to from the north metro. Don't waste your time riding anything west of Rochester.

There is a gravel pit between Faribault and Northfield called Tri-County, but is tailored more towards the sport group. You can be sick of riding Tri-County in a couple hours. There are a good number of volleyball sized rocks that are just tall enough to smash the cr@p out of your best set of skidplates or A-Arms.

Like Roofer mentioned, Redtop is a great trail system for a novice rider. If you're into more technical trails the Ten Bruin trail in Redtop can be a good time. The only downfall is the 4.6 miles of railroad bed that you have to ride to get there from Isle.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
The only downfall is the 4.6 miles of railroad bed that you have to ride to get there from Isle.

yeah that part is the WORST, the dusty rough railroad ride,,,man us mn atv'rs are lucky.

I like Red Top, the 4.6 mile ride on the Soo Line isnt that bad, just spread out about 5 minutes between riders. And if that still doesnt work for you just drive up and park off of hwy 65 or you could go up hwy 65 then drive back on the Idune rode and park somewhere. But Red Top has something for every one, there some mud, slow-techicnal trials, and easy roads. I just wish Redtop was bigger.

I've rode St. Criox State Forest trails and there was some good spots but theres also alot of water holes, there not muddy but have a hard rock bottom, and their only about 6in deep but they get annoying to always have to slow down for them. Also these trails have areas where its just bumpy exposed rock where you can only go 5mph.

Maybe you should try Danbury which is just across from St. Croix State forest, theres pretty good trails there. Alot of people seem to like them, I think there ok. Those trails are windey, and sandy. The only thing is that the signage stinks and you have to buy a Wisconsin trail permit, and theres no mud.

I'd just also like to add another closer place to the cities is Willow River in the General CC Andrews State Forest. Now I've never rode atvs there but this winter we've snowmobiled on the atv trails and that place looks good. Going to have to ride it this summer.

Don't get me wrong, I like riding Redtop as much as any other trail. It's just the amount of dust you eat if you're bringing up the back of the pack.

I don't care to ride 5 minutes behind everyone either. If you have 6-7 people, the front guy is waiting a half hour for the last in line, who never gets a rest. grin.gif