• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Something a bit different.

Now if this guy isn't cute I don't know what is, but boy is he hard to focus on, white on white and unbeleivably fast. I am putting a smaller lens on and going back out to see if I can get a few more shots. I spend all this time driving around looking for subjects and the best ones end up being in my backyard....grin.gif

weasel.jpg

weasel5.jpg

weasel3.jpg

weasel2.jpg

Very nice shots! This is a weasel (ermine) of the larger variety. There is also a lesser weasel that turns white, but is decidedly smaller. These were very common when I was younger, but have actually remarked to a few people this winter that it's been a long time since I've seen one. Great shots! \:\)

They are very curious and fear nothing - including humans. If there is something to eat around (they always used to get into my stock of venison scraps I would keep for the birds) they will stick by it until it's gone. I've had them live in my woodpile or garage all winter picking up what they could. Excellent mousers, they will kill poultry, rabbits and any other little furry thing they can get their paws on. I had one grab the end of my chopper one time and wasn't sure I was going to get it back! They make great photo opportunities because of their persistence.

I was shooting with a Canon Rebel XT and a Canon EF100-400 mm lens.

I still have some venison scraps in my garage that I have been putting out for the birds. Bald eagles were really my target, but I strapped a rib cage to a dead tree hoping to attract some pileated woodpecks and thats what this one is feeding on. I knew he has been around for a while because of the tracks, but my dog probably scares it off when I go back there to fill the feeders. Today I drove back there without the dog because I planned on taking some pictures of birds and squirrels. I hope he stays around for a while and I can get some more pictures. Like Finbay says they are pretty bold and curious. I actually had a hard time keeping him far enough away from me for my camera to be able to focus on him. If I talked to it, it would come closer to me.....lol

Finnbay, I honestly do not know if I used the flash or not. I was using a preset mode, but now that you mention it and I compared some of the other pictures. I think it is likely the flash was used and I did not noticed it. I was shooting into a bunch of pine trees, some areas had hardly any light others where in direct sun so I stuck with a preset mode and fired away.

One more of it feasting on venison.

weasel4.jpg