• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Shoot?

Yakfisher,

I am heading down there this weekend so I'll be posting anything if I get something. A friend of mine invited me, but I was going to post it here also. I'd like to get together with everyone if it works out!

I know it's a bit of a drive, but if you are looking for eagles you could come over to the dark side-- Sauk City, WI. Just earlier today I posted some info in the photo location and ideas thread. There are a lot of eagles there right now.

I've actually been thinking about the same thing. I may head there Sunday or Monday. I want to spend most of a day there and then head down to the Redwing and Wabasha area in the evening, spend the night, then get up the next morning and spend the day around the Mississippi looking for baldys and golden eagles.

But, we all know how reliable the weather forecasts are. ;\) Check the forecast tomorrow and it'll be completely different. Or, just check another source, and you'll get something different. grin.gif The forecast I just checked says a high of 25 Sunday and 35 - 40 on Monday with a chance of freezing rain or snow. I guess time will tell. Whatever, I'm going somewhere this weekend to shoot something. My Canon is getting covered in cobwebs. \:o

XT the Eagles I posted yesterday were from Red Wing - right in town, all of Lake Pepin is frozen and anywhere there is water like at the bottom of Pepin and up in Red Wings there are birds; ducks, geese etc. not alot of Eagles but certainly some.

Hendenhook, thanks. I may end up there on Monday. The forecast is calling for freezing rain Sunday night and Monday morning, so time will tell. Did you get down to Read's Landing? Normally, according to their HSOforum, there are more eagles seen there than anywhere else along the river. We just had a blurb in our local paper, the other day re: this. According to the paper, the cold river refroze again after this cold snap. However, the same day, I called the Eagle Center in Wabasha and was told the river was still wide open. It must depend a lot on where a person looks. Hopefully, I'll soon find out.

XT I was on a business trip and did drive by Reads Landing the river is open there and usually is, I did see some eagles in the air and lots of what appeared to be geese on the water there was some steam to look through but other types of waterfowl as well I think. There are always some eagles down there, sometimes lots, I didn't see any that I could get at quickly so I kept driving. The river was open in spots down by Wabasha also. Good luck if you go.

Actually Mike, I won't be getting to Red Wing until Sunday evening. Since goung thru the cities is only about 60 miles out of my way, I'm going to spend a good share of Sunday at the river in Bloomington and then head to my daughter's place in Plymouth, for supper. I'll probably leave Plymouth around 8:00 PM. Otherwise, it'd be great to meet you. Just don't scare the eagles away from the Red Wing area. Good luck.

Good Luck to you to X. We were going to head to Black Dog on Sunday but my friend went to Redwing today and said there were quite a few there so I think that's where we'll be heading.

Have fun!

Guys, I would definitely go there this weekend... its been so cold for so long and it is really frozen up! This is the time to see them up close! I'd go, but I'm going down near Missouri chasing hundreds of Eagles and leaving at 3:30 AM on Saturday.

According to the weather forecast, I may have to decide on just one or the other. All over, Monday looks like a good chance of rain or freezing rain. Even if it just rains, I'd still have a 4 hour drive to get home from Redwing. By then, the roads would probably be iced over. I may change my plans by tomorrow nite and just go on Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

Went to Black dog yesterday and saw 4; 1 was just off the road up in a tree and the other 3 were across the river looking the other way. It was really a low light day and no good pics. Having trouble focusing well with my Tamron 70-300, don't know if I should upgrade to a higher quality lens or not.

So Buzz' date=' where are you headed? It has to be pretty hot, to get going that early in the morning. grin.gif

quote']

Hello, it was quite a long drive as I went to Burlinton, Iowa as well as davenport and a few other stops in between... probably saw close to a thousand Eagles If I had to guess.