• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BWCA trips for '08

Well, I just secured my permit for our annual trip. EP #77. South Hegman on June 14th. We've got a group of 5 going up through Angleworm eventually to Crooked, south through Basswood Falls and back through Mudro out to Nels Lake. A week long trip for us with some great photo ops.

We're also planning a 2-3 day trip to show our daughters what its all about. They are 5 and 7yrs old and have been camping with us since each was under 1 yr old. This year will be their first trip to the BWCA.

I'm also taking the plunge on my first solo this year. I've been yammering about it for the last 3 years and haven't found the time. I still don't know where I'll fit it in, but I'm gonna do a 4-5 day solo for sure.

Anybody else thinking BWCA yet?

I just got an email yesterday from my Bro that we got our permit to head up to Lac la Croix the first week of June for 4 days, group of 6. This will be my first paddle-in, have done 5-6 motor trips on Basswood/Saganaga. I'm pretty pumped, just hope we can find a few smallies and pike to keep us busy. Apparently the walleye fishing in this area is not the best.

His group paddles fast and travels light, they plan to be in a Boulder/Tiger bay area campsite by noon the first day, leaving 2.5 days to fish. I'm along to provide one nights fishfry for the group, as they havn't done the best in trips past \:\)

We are working out our plans too for 08. We go up the four 5 days either the first or second weekend in June depending on when schools out. We have been having a larger group the last couple of years and need to find a couple of sites close to each other. We have teenage boys to guys in their upper 60's, three generations. We normally go out of Ely and have been having great Walleye fishing for the last five years at all different locations. Gotta have the orange raps.

Have fun on your trips.

Our group of four is planning to take a 7-10 day trip in May, with entry point & travel plans still being debated. I'm pushing for a night or two in a PMA (primitive management area) - we did a bushwhack into a virtually untouched lake last spring & it was by far the highlight of the trip. Plus, I'm getting old, so I want to do some more brush-crashing while I'm relatively able. \:\)

Powerstroke, we have 5 & 6 year old girls. We're debating whether to take them up this year or next, when they'll be able to fully swim on their own. Something to look forward to either way!

SOunds like there should be some great trip reviews by the end of the paddling season.

Max- if you're thinking about a PMA trip I've got an idea for you if you're looking for suggestions. My bro and I did a great trip 2 summers ago that was fantastic. It had the PMA and the bushwhack.

As far as bringing the girls, its only going to be a short trip...something like a 3day weekend to let them get their feet wet. I know my 7yr old will carry her own weight, but I don't want to tire out the 5yr old yet. Mine are in swimming lessons now cause they wouldn't learn from me. They are doing great and will be ready for this summer.

Powerstroke, I'd love to hear suggestions for a PMA trip. I'm leaning towards the Sundial PMA or Weeny Lake PMA since I've read there are fish in at least a few of the lakes, & I understand that some lakes in PMAs are pretty shallow and/or weed choked. And part of the urge to bushwhack is to get on a lake and put my lure in front of completely uneducated fishies! Our first bushwhack last spring landed us in a lake where we caught more pike in an afternoon that we caught the whole rest of the trip. They were suicidally aggressive, sometimes bouncing off the canoe as we pulled the lure away from the smaller ones. Worth the effort for sure!

Anything you could tell me would be great. I've found info pretty hard to come by, & even among the hardcore it seems few have ventured into the PMAs. Although the truly hardcore seem to spite it as Quetico-lite. \:\) Hit me via email or post when you get a chance!

My first BW trip for '08 is planned for March, but I don't think a canoe will be involved then, at least I hope not. eek.gif

I usually go in Oct, no need to worry about permits at that time of year. I'm sure we'll head back up then this year also. On last falls trip I paddled a solo for the first time, and fell in love. So if I end up buying one for myself, I could see myself heading up multiple times this year. Come on rebate check - so I can spend it on a Canadian canoe. lol grin.gif

Maximum-the trip I took was through the Sundial PMA. We took our route in at Angleworm Lake since we knew almost no one would choose this entry. We went up to Beartrap lake in one day. This was a very large undertaking. I believe it comes out to almost 1200 rods of portaging on single trips. If you double portage, that would be 7.5 miles by the end of day one. You can shorten the first day for sure.

From Beartrap we went into the PMA up the river to Sunday Lake.The river was long and windy and some bushwhack for the portages. At least a dozen beaver dams on the river. We wanted to camp and fish there, but there was an illegal group there already and we didn't want to share our wilderness experience. We paddled west to Sterling Lake. That was amazing.

The next day we made our way to Stuart Lake. That was the major bushwhack. None of those portages had trails we could find, so we used our compass and my GPS to find our way.

The next day we headed out on Stuart River and home.

The trip was fast cause thats what we had to work with. It could easily be 5 days with fishing. We fished very little because of the long days, but I caught lots of walleyes on Stuart. I did bring the GPS, but only used it as a backup. We did all our bushwhacking by compass and it worked quite well. I can give you details about the portages we took if you're interested. You can also follow the river further north to Iron Lake I believe and make the trip longer that way. There are a couple ways in and out of that area.

Duffman- A canadian canoe huh? Is it going to be a Souris River?!?

That is a beautiful boat!! I haven't paddled one yet, but I've seen them many times.

If you're honey is needing a little convincing, Red Rock store sells them at the big sportsman's show every year and they offer some big discounts if you order before the show.

Thats how I bought my SR Quetico 17 last year. They bring it to the show and you pick it up there. No shipping costs and no traveling to Ely.

I plan on renting a true solo boat this summer so that is one I'm considering.

We've narrowed the options to the Sundial or Weeny Lake PMAs. If the vote turns to Sundial (& I think it might since that's where I want to go & I don't think the others have strong opinions one way or another) I'll take you up on that offer for the portages. I've heard there are walleye & pike in Sterling!

Duffman, I've been fondling the Souris River canoes at the spring Sports Show for years. I'm about six years away from dumping the Old Town & blaming age for needing a nice, light, beautiful piece of transportation.

Max....

I think I'm already to that point, my 22 yr old Old Town looks like it's remainding days will be spent as a behind the garage eyesore from here on out, unless I get a duck hunting trip in sometime.

I did my trip this past fall in the original 85 Merlin designed and built by Bruce Kunz. 35 lbs of pure portaging bliss. \:\)

161928.jpg

Beautiful shot duffman. !!! Just when I was getting excited to hit the ice again this weekend, you throw that wonderful shot out. Now I'm all excited about getting the kayak out. \:ocrazy.gif open water seems so far away. \:\(

Sooooo, ice here I come!!!

Nice, Duffman. 35 pounds. Sounds lovely. We're discussing renting a Kevlar this spring for two reasons: first it's way lighter for bushwhacking and second, I've never been in one & would like to start trying different makes to see what I like. Preparation!

Just be careful! Once you go kevlar you never go back.

I did a solo a few years ago looping from Sag to the Ely side and back again. It was a blast and easy to pack and portage in one trip with those solo kevlars. You don't even feel it on your shoulders and that's not an exaggeration.

My biggest learning curve was in waves. At first it felt much tippier than any canoe I'd ever been in, but once you get the feel for it, you can conquer any wave you come across. Just make sure to do plenty of leg stretching ahead of your trip. Sitting in the bottom of those things will make your hamstrings go crazy if you don't properly prepare yourself. Maybe it's just me but it's a lesson I learnd from my UMD kayaking days.

Being tippy has little to do with the layup of the canoe. Its about hull design.

Every spring up in Ely, Piragis holds an event on Shagawa Lake. You can test out any boat they sell. I used several Wenonahs, Bells and some kayaks. Solos, tandems, and the 3 and 4 person boats. All different materials. My wife wants a wider more stable boat. That narrowed it down to 2 or 3 models.

Then we drove down to Red Rock store on Jasper Lake, east of Ely because they sell the Souris River boats. After trying a couple of them we were sold.

We rented one for two years before we bit the bullet and bought our own. Its kevlar and does great in the waves.

Went to the Bdub for the first time last year. My buddy sweet-talked a friend into letting us use a Souris kevlar and it was amazing. I am not real experienced with canoes, but it seemed plenty stable, portaged like a dream, and was a fast boat (compared to the other 2 boats in our group). Dumped in at Lake One and went to Insula. Had good smallmouth and walleye fishing, with a few pike mixed in. We are going to do a motorized 4-day trip to Sag during the first weekend in Aug.

Putting in at mudro. Going up to basswood then down basswood falls into crooked. I have been wanting to go down that river for a while now. I have been to crooked and basswood but not both on the same trip. Finally have a good group(I think). I think this will be my 19th trip to the B-dub. Anybody been this way?

I haven't been that way trock, but thats part of my route this year. I'm going in mid-June. If you go later in the year I'll let you know how it looks.

There are lots of great photo ops in that area and the fishing is pretty good too.

Trock I've been through there the end of May/beginning of June. We put in Mudro and headed up the Horse river however into Crooked. Beautiful area with good fishing. There's also pictographs and a great area to cliff dive just in case you're into that sort of thing. If you happen to be able to venture into the Quetico for some fishing check out Moose Bay. It was absolutely loaded with smallmouth. There's a gorgeous campsite up on a cliff on it also.

I am looking forward to seeing those pictographs. I was able to see a few on alice. But that was a few years ago.

Is there a lot to go threw about going into canada to fish on a border lake. I would love to go up to moose bay but is it worth it?