• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Geo- caching !!!!!!

OK - lets get this rolling.

I love caching. It incorperates everything I love. Being out of doors, techno stuff ( GPS's), mapping, treasure hunting, mysteries solving, spending time with loved ones. Something to do in between fishing seasons \:D

If we get enough interest in this we may be able to chat with Admin about our own forum - maybe - \:D\:ogrin.gif

What are your stories?????????

Quote:
I have absolutely no clue what yous guys are talking aboot.

Tami-You gotta love that response! Boilerguy you crack me up man! It's when you go and find all the rainbow colors of Geo Metro's around the world! JUST KIDDING! crazy.gif Tami'll tell ya!

WHAT IS Geo - caching?

Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 480,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the sport. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.

For the traditional geocache, a geocacher will place a waterproof container, containing a log book (with pen or pencil) and trinkets or some sort of treasures, then note the cache's coordinates. These coordinates, along with other details of the location, are posted on a HSOforum. Other geocachers obtain the coordinates from the Internet and seek out the cache using their GPS handheld receivers. The finding geocachers record their exploits in the logbook and online. Geocachers are free to take objects from the cache in exchange for leaving something of similar or higher value, so there is treasure for the next person to find.

Typical cache treasures are not high in monetary value but may hold personal value to the finder. Aside from the logbook, common cache contents are unusual coins or currency, small toys, ornamental buttons, CDs, or books. Also common are objects that are moved from cache to cache, such as Travel Bugs or Geocoins, whose travels may be logged and followed online. Occasionally, higher value items are included in geocaches, normally reserved for the "first finder", or in locations which are harder to reach.

A Travel BugGeocaches can range in size from "microcaches," too small to hold anything more than a tiny paper log, to those placed in five-gallon buckets or even larger containers.

If a geocache has been vandalized or stolen, it is said to have been "muggled" or "plundered." The former term plays off the fact that those not familiar with geocaching are called "geo-muggles" or just muggles, a term borrowed from the Harry Potter series of books.

geocaching.com

My family went caching in New York while we were there for Christmas this past summer. There were 12 of us with two GPS units. We chose an area that had two caches in the same forest. Ton of fun, but the bear scat and fresh bear tracks had us a little worried. We did find, in addition to our treasures, an old copper mine entrance. Really cool area with tons of ripe blueberries that we would eat along the way.

That may be the only time we ever go geo-caching, but it was fun!

Wow! You folks lead very intriguing (and funny) lives! I was given a used gps unit last year and have looked at and read the directions but haven't taken it out to use it yet. Geo-caching sounds like fun. Can you point me in the direction of how to find places in Mn....to try this out. Say, something easy to start.

Originally Posted By: mnfishingal
Wow! You folks lead very intriguing (and funny) lives! I was given a used gps unit last year and have looked at and read the directions but haven't taken it out to use it yet. Geo-caching sounds like fun. Can you point me in the direction of how to find places in Mn....to try this out. Say, something easy to start.

mnfishingal

go to geocaching.com you find the caches near you by entering your city or zip code. You can then download the coornates to your GPS ( you''ll need to download some free software from the site to be able to do this ) or you can manually enter them.

It does get a bit techy so you need to be comfortable with computers and know how to use your GPS.

Go through and read the stuff on the geo-caching site, it takes a bit to really understand what this is all about and how to go about it. Any guestions feel free to ask. I'm no expert but have been doing it for about a year and a half, and am pretty good with computers and GPS's.

enjoy. \:\)

i thought a gps was for finding the next place to hunt or fish, not treasure hunting. hehe. well ok maybe if there was a case of beer at the end of those gps coordinates. personally i got better things to do but hey whatever trips there trigger. have fun geo caching- ill watch.

Yea - I think I lost control along time ago. \:D

I've tried reeling em back in, but its not happenin crazy.gif

Oh well - \:o - some day they will be mature enough to enjoy the challenge of a well hidden cache. But I guess they're just not there yet. whistle.gif

We offer caching at one of our resorts as an amenity, if you take the time to ramble all over the property with our GPS units, peek in a few windows whistle.gif and eventually find the cache you may be instore for a ice cream cone or a glass of wine depending on your age.

It's been quite popular for us.

very cool - I tell ya this geo-caching is an awesome family activity and a great way to get kids outside and away from the TV.

I'll have to check out your resort, briefly looked at the HSOforum, - very nice!! grin.gif

I've been looking for one off and on for about a year and a half. It is in the park A couple of blocks down the road. I have emailed the cacher a couple of times for clues. He assures me it is still there and I would have to agree since it gets found on occasion. Some of them can be easy but some are very difficult. Its fun to concur the challenge of the more difficult ones!!